Sheep etc.

I've been down a lot of sheep related internet rabbit holes lately, finding downloadable PDFs of old books and buying cheap copies of opthers which mention Lonks trying to get back to where the usual history of the breed that gets repeated from one source came from. apart from the way the photos from 100 or more years ago show how breeds have changed they have their own charm too. At the risk of going a bit off topic here are a couple from my latest purchase, published c1915.

_7519728.jpg

_7519726.jpg

_7519727.jpg

It's great when you find notes made in books.

_7519730.jpg

And on page 237...

_7519725.jpg

There's a show on Saturday and a dog trial Sunday. Normal service will be resumed!

I've been down a lot of sheep related internet rabbit holes lately, finding downloadable PDFs of old books and buying cheap copies of opthers which mention Lonks trying to get back to where the usual history of the breed that gets repeated from one source came from. apart from the way the photos from 100 or more years ago show how breeds have changed they have their own charm too. At the risk of going a bit off topic here are a couple from my latest purchase, published c1915.

View attachment 359839

View attachment 359837

View attachment 359838

It's great when you find notes made in books.

View attachment 359840

And on page 237...

View attachment 359842

There's a show on Saturday and a dog trial Sunday. Normal service will be resumed!

Good luck with getting some laudanum these days!

On my way to buy the garden birds some sunflower hearts I called in at the marsh, which I haven't visited for a long time. Most of the ewes and lambs were well out towards the river. The few closer to the floodbank footpath were still a bit far off.

_7519775.jpg

More interestingly I went for a look at the sheep handling pens. I remembered this as dilapidatedly rustic. The wooden structure I remembered had been replaced with new posts, netting and metal sheep hurdles. Most of it had.

_7519767.jpg

_7519763.jpg

Back home I searched for the photos I was sure I'd taken of the old pens but could only find one.

_7503502.jpg

The pens are still a bit ramshackle and there is plenty of baler twine in evidence.

_7519753.jpg

_7519773.jpg

Washing on the line!

_7519759.jpg

Yet another reminder to photograph things which you imagine will be there forever when you see them as they might be gone tomorrow. I wish I had taken more photos of the old pens now.

I'm not sure why but I really wasn't 'feeling it' at the show today and pretty much came home with a load of snaps of the sheep. I spent some time with the cattle and, while I don't think I ended up with anything much, it was more interesting. A fresh subject providing newthings to find ways to photograph I guess. That and I wanted to get afeel for the cattle ring if I'm going to photograph it at the Royal Lancs in a couple of weeks. It was probably a combination of a complete lack of Lonks and a small turnout of sheep overall that accounted for my lack of sheep motivation. If I find anything half decent in my sheep files I'll post them later. Don't hold your breath!

bopeepsm.jpg

Well here's the best of the rubbish.

First a cock up. How I managed to stick the liveview into movie mode I don't know. In that setting it shoots 16:9 stills. :(

_7519857.jpg

When I didn't mess up...

I had a chat with a family of North Ronaldsay sheep breeders who, when I tracked them down on Facebook, I discovered live about four miles from me.

_7519837.jpg

I did quite a bit of low-level liveview shooting. Thankfully I spotted the glaring error.

_7519889.jpg

_7521211.jpg

There were quite a few Valais Blacknose in evidence. I try not to photograph them because they're so photogenic. But a hand painted trailer is a different matter. Sadly the sun was in my face and a lot of contrast has been lost of the drawn on sheep faces using the screws for eyes would be clearer. (I only spotted them when I posted the pic here!)

_7519812.jpg

Suffolks always feature at the Longridge Show

_7519873.jpg

_7519971.jpg

There must be a tending a flock quip to be made...

_7519906.jpg

All in all a fairly dire selection.

Last edited:
More Lonk delving on t'internets.

rhyme.jpg

I've a ticket for the Great Yorkshire Show on Tuesday but I'm not sure how many sheep there will be as I know one breeder who isn't showing this year and have heard others complaining about the requirement to have stock on site for five days. Aside from the welfare issue of keeping sheep penned for all that time how many farmers can spare a week of basically doing nothing? This could send the show the way of some others to being an entertainment rather than a showcase for livestock. Bloody expensive ticket it is too, but no paying on the gate so you have to commit, which I imagine many people cannot.

Sign seen at Longridge yesterday. :D

_7519817.jpg

Damn! Thanks for reminding me, I had a hospital appointment this past week that I had rejoiced was before the show but it was changed to this Wednesday, guess I’ll have to cancel again, quite forgot about the show! Apart from the traffic there’s a tidal flow past the showground and I’m a few miles south with the hospital just the wrong side!

Damn! Thanks for reminding me, I had a hospital appointment this past week that I had rejoiced was before the show but it was changed to this Wednesday, guess I’ll have to cancel again, quite forgot about the show! Apart from the traffic there’s a tidal flow past the showground and I’m a few miles south with the hospital just the wrong side!
Tickets were only available on-line and are all sold. :(

Tickets were only available on-line and are all sold. :(

Sorry! I’d no idea. I suppose they are trying to limit the crush and Covid? On the other hand they may be trying to kill the show — they did want to sell it and move further out but I think they were blocked, can’t remember the details. It must be worth a fortune for development being so central to Harrogate.

That was what I read. I didn't know they'd tried to sell up but I can see how it would be financially attractive to do that.
Thinking about it the selling up must be quite a few years ago now, before the Big Sainsburys was built. Also they largely solved the traffic problem for show goers I think though I may be wrong as if I was just visiting I used to go in late, being nearby and other times I went in before opening time or by a non public entrance.

Thinking about it the selling up must be quite a few years ago now, before the Big Sainsburys was built. Also they largely solved the traffic problem for show goers I think though I may be wrong as if I was just visiting I used to go in late, being nearby and other times I went in before opening time or by a non public entrance.
I've only been the once (left it too late to get a ticket last year) and the route in by car from the A59 west was, what shall I say? Circuitous. I got lost coming home!

A couple of practice cattle pics in readiness for the Royal Lancs - if my free ticket materialises.

_7519932.jpg

_7519969.jpg

I haven’t been for 3 years but al least it has always had a decent amount of livestock. Some of the big shows I’ve been to over the years seem more about cars and tractors.

Of our nearby Pateley (Nidderdale) is the best I think though being late the weather can be … challenging but if fine it’s great.

Not convenient for many as it’s on a Monday — being the old Pateley Feast day I think.

I haven’t been for 3 years but al least it has always had a decent amount of livestock. Some of the big shows I’ve been to over the years seem more about cars and tractors.

Of our nearby Pateley (Nidderdale) is the best I think though being late the weather can be … challenging but if fine it’s great.

Not convenient for many as it’s on a Monday — being the old Pateley Feast day I think.
Nidderdale Show is a fairly traditional one for its size with plenty of sheep, other livestock and a sheep dog trial. I much prefer the traditional type. You can'[t beat wooden sheep hurdles for the pens either! The trend these days seems to be more 'family attractions' at some shows. Todmorden show has been replaced by a 'country show' with no livestock. Which is why the committee are trying to keep the sheep section going on its own.

I've been reading about the fairs which used to take place in towns around Westmorland today. Not fairs as we know them today with dodgems and candy floss, although there were entertainments, but gatherings of livestock and produce for sale. They either died out or were replaced by auction marts - which explains by some of the annual sales at the marts are still known as fairs. Not Westmorland but Clitheroe mart has the Old Fair sale of sheep each autumn.

Back from the GYS. It's been a lonk long day! :LOL:

There were plenty of sheep being shown, over two days which is why I went today to see the Gritstones and Lonks. Despite arriving at 8.45 (later than I'd hoped) I missed some of the Gritstone judging, but there was no rush for the Lonks as they'd been put back until the afternoon round at 2.00. Which meant that the Lonk men had to wait until after lunch. ten minutes before the afternoon judging was due to commence the commentator was telling everyone to get ready and be in the rings at two minutes to the hour. He was made up that teh Valais Blacknose (so popular now that they had their own class) judging started early. All the other breeds were in on time. With one exception. The Lonks. Inevitably!

I think it's a rule that everyone exhibiting stock must wear a white coat at the GYS.

_7510466.jpg

Like their sheep Lonkheads have independent natures. I think that's why I like them.

Anyway, the winners were...

_7510512.jpg

Champion - John and Craig Kempson with a shearling ewe (R)
Reserve champion - Danny Mullin with a shearling tup (L)
Judged - Chris Crowther Jnr

It'll take a while to sort through my files. I had a lot of 'down time' so there'll be photos of other breeds and some random sheep related sights.

A quicky. Farmers are always being advised to diversify. in this social media driven age vlogging is a popular diversification. Farming channels are surprisingly popular.Get enough subscribers to your YouTube channel and you can sell loads of merch. If you're lucky you might even get to present on 'real' TV like Cammy Wilson (and at least one other I know of - from YT as I don't posses a television...). I've been watching his vlogs for a while, back when he was still in the police and sheep rearing on the side. He has the banter, and has worked at building the brand across multiple platforms, so I can see how he's done well.

Here it all is at the GYS.

Every brand (except mine...) needs a well designed logo.

_7510374.jpg

No longer a one man band.

_7510373.jpg

_7510301.jpg

Fans.

_7510300.jpg

Interviewing for a forthcoming vlog. All you need to make your fortune is an iPhone and a Gorilla Pod.

_7521314.jpg

Welcome to sheep farming in the 21st century!

I'm still wading through yesterday's files. There's more than usual, so more junk, and I shot a lot of different takes on one particular subject that gave me an idea - to pair a stripey dress with the black and white of a sheep's face. The one I like best, but doubt will appeal to many is this one. There's no obvious subject, which is a black mark in most compositional terms, but it works for me as an arrangement of shapes, colours and patterns. I also like the rhythm of it.

_7510170.jpg

It's taken me an age to sort through my photos from the GYS. Surpsingly I've got a few that might pass the test of time. On a technical note, while going through them all in Lightroom, I discovered that I'd managed to shoot the last quarter or so of them in jpeg mode. I didn't spot that because of a lack of quality when altering exposure levels or anything. Maybe less in the highlights to recover but I often shoot to preserve them anyway. Good job they weren't ruined as the error started just before I photographed the Lonks! Still no idea how it happened. :oops: :$

The sheep sheds are a real pain to shoot in. Big open barn-like structures the light around the edges is fine, but the further in you go the darker it gets. When you are well inside that also means there's a huge contrast range between inside and outside, so if there's any outside background in a shot it tends to blow. It's a case of working within the limitations.

gysfb-5.jpg

gysfb-50.jpg

gysfb-61.jpg

On the edge looking out. The young lady was recording her handiwork dressing the Dutch Spotted sheep. there were a lot o the spotty beggars at the show. More than most of the less common native breeds.

gysfb-43.jpg

The dressing and prep of sheep makes for interesting pictures. Three pairs of hands dealing with this Jacob.

gysfb-32.jpg

A Clun Forest gets its topknot trimmed.

gysfb-29.jpg

Not sure who has got more white on them!

gysfb-36.jpg

Shows like these give the public a rare chance to get close to livestock.

gysfb-37.jpg

Showing pics next up.

This is a show where you can't just wander into the ring and take photos, which means I couldn't get the close ups with shorter lenses which I think give a better feel for what it's like. On the other hand being outside the ring does give a chance to show the the overall scene and maybe a feel of the bigger show.

Until recently Gritstones were only being shown by hill farmers from LAncs, Yorks and Derbys, but in the last few years they have attracted new breeders from further afield. You an spot them because they halter train their sheep.

gysfb-3.jpg

For the first year at least, then they seem to drop the idea to fit in with the old school Grit folk!

gysfb-6.jpg

It's a family affair showing sheep.

gysfb-12.jpg

Halter training, what's that?

gysfb-14.jpg

Sometimes I like accidental pictures. Not to everyone's tastes, I know.

gysfb-7.jpg

When this pair of Lonks was let go I heard someone behind me say "They're looking for a way out" as they raced across the ring. To which someone else replied, "Typical Lonks!" Catch 'em up lads.

gysfb-57.jpg

gysfb-51.jpg

Another big class this year was the Blue Texels. Here we see a professional sheep photographer in action, complete with sheep wranglers. I couldn't be arsed doing that for a living. All that messing about to take the perfect picture of a sheep that looks just like every other perfect picture of a sheep!

gysfb-48.jpg

The fortunate ones get to show off their trophies.

gysfb-22.jpg

Young Stanley is sheep mad. Induction day at school the next day wouldn't be as much fun as the GYS!

gysfb-24.jpg

Gran records the moment.

gysfb-23.jpg

Last lot will be random sheep nonsense.

Last edited:
Odds and sods seen around the sheep area. I didn't venture any further...

gysfb-1.jpg

Blue Faced Leicesters are often very friendly. One breeder said they were warned that the best thing to get when you start with BFLs is a shovel. Because they like to die!

gysfb-35.jpg

These two ladies asked me to take a photo of them with their phone, so I asked if I could take their photo with my camera. They had travelled from Australia and their husbands were looking at sheep in another part of the sheds. The one on the right and her husband only run cattle now, they gave up on sheep because the dingoes were killing too many.

gysfb-27.jpg

A fine Rough Fell tup.

gysfb-33.jpg

Some sheep details.

Ryeland.

gysfb-49.jpg

Leicester Longwool.

gysfb-34.jpg

I can't resist Whitefaced Woodland horns.

gysfb-30.jpg

There were other sheepy attractions. The shearing competitions were popular.

gysfb-40.jpg

gysfb-41.jpg

The fleece competition marquee featured crafters spinning and kntting.

gysfb-62.jpg

There are lots more, but that covers just about everything.

I've been looking at other people's show pictures and they never look like mine. They're all much more 'professional'. Where am I going wrong?

Oh I know, I try to keep focal lengths short and/or stop my lenses down. F8 and be there! :LOL:

Last edited:
the photos of details of coat and horns are interesting as a contrast to the other shots
Ta. I like to break things up. The trouble inside the sheds is there's so little light getting enough depth of focus for detail shots is difficult. Maybe I should start taking a flash set up for that kind of thing.

Ta. I like to break things up. The trouble inside the sheds is there's so little light getting enough depth of focus for detail shots is difficult. Maybe I should start taking a flash set up for that kind of thing.
Or your phone :LOL:

Something like that. (y)
That’s what I expected and why I posted :LOL: . However, in case it’s passed you by, which I doubt, depth of field and low light are currently where the phone excels. Obviously it’s all ‘computational’ but I don’t know of any ‘real’ camera that does that. The original Fuji X10 which used separate simultaneous exposures to produce 6mp from 12mp sensor is the only one I can think of.

That’s what I expected and why I posted :LOL: . However, in case it’s passed you by, which I doubt, depth of field and low light are currently where the phone excels. Obviously it’s all ‘computational’ but I don’t know of any ‘real’ camera that does that. The original Fuji X10 which used separate simultaneous exposures to produce 6mp from 12mp sensor is the only one I can think of.
That's what I told the two Australian ladies when they said it was 'only a phone'.

I have actually recently acquired a phone with a half decent camera in it - only because my previous phone died. I just took this snap with it of a plate in a book that's just arrived to feed my current mania for old sheep info. :)

20220714_135939.jpg

Compared to a snap I took with my camera.:(

gysfb-1.jpg

I had an X10 and it was a handy little camera and often think I should have kept it.

I perceive that you are a man with his eye to a best value, so which phone have you bought, with its half decent camera?
How did you come to that conclusion? ;)

I went for the cheapest one available for my contract. It was on offer - probably being discontinued. I had to open it up to find that out what it isas I care that little about phones - it's a Samsung Galaxy A12. I doubt it's what phone buffs would go for but it makes calls and texting is easier than on my last one even if I do still forget it has a camera...

I posted this photo I 'stole' on my Twitter today and one of my thousands of followers said he knows the the family which is still at the same farm. :)

"Lonk ram lamb, Laddie's Son, owned by Thomas Lord jr, Heights Farm, Shore, Littleborough. First at Royal Lancashire Show 1937."

Lonk ram lamb, Laddie's Son, owned by Thomas Lord jr, Heights Farm, Shore, Littleborough 1937.jpg

I wonder what the turnout of Lonks will be like on Sunday?

Only three from my first day at the Royal Lancs as I was mostly photographing the cattle section, and the sheep weren't to my liking anyway! What was evident was rising popularity of Valais Blacknose. More people showing them here this year. Popular with the public too. Lonks tomorrow all being well. :D

_78O0227.jpg

_78O0368.jpg

_78O0371.jpg

I posted this photo I 'stole' on my Twitter today and one of my thousands of followers said he knows the the family which is still at the same farm. :)

"Lonk ram lamb, Laddie's Son, owned by Thomas Lord jr, Heights Farm, Shore, Littleborough. First at Royal Lancashire Show 1937."

View attachment 361139

I wonder what the turnout of Lonks will be like on Sunday?
Further to this Thomas Lord's granddaughter saw the post, so I provided a link to other photos on the MERL website for her. https://biSPAM/3RVBjUx

I've dug up a bit of Lonk info from other online sources which I've been sticking on FB. Much as I dislike a lot of what goes on on social media caving in to FB has been a good move for my sheep photography. Talking to the Lonk breeders yesterday they are appreciative of this old stuff, and of my own photos (which is satisfying), plus being on FB got me a 'beat the crowds' access all areas wristband for free for the Royal Lancs.

I've a load of pics from yesterday to sort through. In the mean time here's a pro sheep photographer in action, complete with assistants!

_7521713.jpg

Last edited:
Some 'lesser' sheep for a change!

A Clun Forest. I haven't really noticed them before and wonder if they are gaining popularity.

_78O0676.jpg

Hill Radnor. Seen a few of these around. A photogenic sheep.

_7521582.jpg

Lots of Valais on Saturday. I checked the catalogue and there were sixty odd entered. The biggest class of the two days. Here's one held back for the Junior shepherds, 8-12 years class on Sunday.

_78O0737.jpg

The junior shepherds is never an easy job for the judge - especially as Rod was landed with the job at the very last minute. He reckoned the scheduled judge had bottled it!

_78O0734.jpg

I don't change my cameras as often as some on here, I've had the two I've been doing all my projects with since 2015 and they've served me really well. But I've been using the flippy screen a lot with the sheep because I'm not as agile as I was thirty years ago. :( It has been pot luck getting what I want in focus, sometimes getting anything in focus has been a challenge. That's why I finally bit the bullet and 'upgraded' last week. It's not often a feature improvement actually improves picture making, but the much faster focusing, easy subject tracking when re-framing a shot, and the ability to place the focus point on the subject using the touch screen really has made things much easier and better. Expect to see lots of low level viewpoints from now on!

The faster focusing meant the entire sequence this is from was in focus. As far as the image quality goes it's fine. I can't think of a camera I've used since 2010 hasn't been fine in that respect - despite what the reviewers say. All the ones I've used have been better than ASA 1600 slide film. :LOL:

_78O0418.jpg

Last edited:
There were over 50 Derbyshire Gritstones entered this year. In show circles it is gaining ground.

_78O0483.jpg

_78O0606.jpg

_78O0624.jpg

_7521719.jpg

_7521692.jpg

_7521682.jpg

_78O0587.jpg

One young breeder who had been picking up lots of tickets around the smaller shows, sometime in mixed breed classes, didn't do so well at the Lancs. A couple of the 'big guns' pretty much cleaned up. I heard some low level muttering among those not placed about judges judging the breeders rather than the sheep!

More...

The Lonk class was again fairly depleted with some usual exhibitors missing again. Twenty two sheep entered and not all present. Only one of the aged tups in the catalogue was on the field. Strictly speaking there's no reason why a lone entry has to be awarded the red rosette, but this one was. Even I overheard someone saying they didn't like the black behind its horns. That was something that my very amateur eye had picked up on. maybe it should have got second? The owner is chairman of the Lonk association so I doubt that was likely!

_78O0488.jpg

That screen is handy for overhead shots too.

_78O0556.jpg

_7521645.jpg

_78O0496.jpg

I could have done with the sheep in the shot really, but it's difficult to see - and make the best of - pictures quickly when things are happening. Sometimes I can predict how things will unfold and get myself positioned better.

_78O0551.jpg

_78O0559.jpg

_78O0658.jpg

I was going to leave around one, but after a rest in my car I decided to go back for the interbreed championships. First up was the group of three.

_78O0761.jpg

Then the champion from each breed class was up for the final showdown. The Lonk and Gritstone champions were lined up next to each other, but sadly passed over for a prize. A Gritstone breeder was later heard to wonder if the judge knew there had been a Gritstone there!

_78O0785.jpg

That a wrap for this year's Royal Lancs.

I heard some low level muttering among those not placed about judges judging the breeders rather than the sheep!
I fancy all showing is the same — “judging the other end of the lead” is what they say at dog shows. ;)

Back