Sheep etc.

Here we go.

size1-3.jpg

I didn't get any worthwhile pictures of the Under 25 exhibitor class, but it's good to see younger sheep enthusiasts showing (with a little assistance) and judging.

size1-7.jpg

Sale time.

size1-8.jpg

Trying some odd framing.

size1-18.jpg

Rather belatedly I spotted a view with potential.

size1-11.jpg

A higher vantage point might have worked.

size1-19.jpg

Wider for more interest? The corner of the white door was in the wrong place and made it impossible to get all the elements and layers I wanted, even if I could fill the gap bottom right.

size1-21.jpg

size1-22.jpg

I tried to get some 'in the crowd' shots but getting a sheep in the frame too proved nigh on impossible. It's a tricky sale ring for a lot of reasons. The top rails of the ring always seem to be at head height, obliterating faces. Other marts have top rails that fold down when not required. Then there are the banners which block off most chances of low angle shots through the rails if I can get a ringside spot. very frustrating. At least the lighting isn't bad these days!

size1-15.jpg

I expect I'm the only idiot who visits the nature reserve to look for sheep to photograph!

You can just about make out a flock of geese in this shot .

_7511265.jpg

this is about as close as the sheep usually let you get.

_7511316.jpg

But today there was one which must have been a 'pet lamb' (one raised by humans) as it not only stayed put but let me scratch its head. Then posed patiently!

Vertical crop from horizontal frame. 60mm macro lens. Pop-up fill flash.Not the usual set up for sheep! :LOL:

_7511306.jpg

There was a nursery trial on at Deerplay today. I wasn't over enthusiastic but as I'll probably not be able to get out for the next two weekends I made the effort as the sun was shining. As Deerplay is less than two miles as the crow flies from the Ram Inn I went there first to photograph 'the blue plaque' on its wall.

_7821176.jpg

This needs amending to mention that he was also secretary of the Lonk Sheep Breeders' Association!

There are a couple of information boards nearby covering the history of Cliviger. (Spot the spelling mistake...) Lonks get a mention, and a picture. The Holme sheepdog society no longer holds trials at Holme, but the recently formed Deerplay society does. I've been trying to find proof of when the sheep fair started, but as yet have drawn a blank.

_7821222.jpg

I had a wander round before setting off for Deerplay, and took a couple of landscapes (not my forté), but there were Gritstones and Lonks.

_7821206.jpg

_7821213.jpg

As usual it was windy and cold at Deerplay. But the sun was mostly shining and the way the field was laid out the action was well lit, and within reasonable lens range. Unfortunately the rushy grasses were obscuring the dogs when they were near the pen. I only stopped for a couple of hours, and didn't shoot much action.

I'm always trying for a judge in the wing mirror picture.

_7816980.jpg

Sticks and dogs too.

_7817063.jpg

If only the mug had been turned a bit...

_7817112.jpg

Bloody grass!

_7817091.jpg

Collies being collies.

_7817101.jpg

_7817135.jpg

Last edited:
Three days after my previous post I finally got my gall bladder removed. But it took a bit more than a keyhole to get it out! I must be on the mend because I heard some sheep had moved in to a nearby field and went for a look today. It was true. A field which has been down to grass after maize this year has been fenced off with lectric fencing and a flock of mules put in to graze it down after two cuts of silage. They were keeping to the middle of the field, no doubt because it's been on a popular walking route since lockdown. I could have put these snaps in my meanygate thread but thought they'd be okay here.
There's lots for them to chew on so I should get opportunities for some better shots - with a bit of luck.

_7817188.jpg
This one's a 50% crop.
_7817206.jpg
Electric fencing has altered sheep farming in recent years. It's now common sight round here to see a flock of sheep in a field for a few weeks while they graze on whatever is in it. Before electric fencing the fields would have required posts and netting to make them stockproof. Now they can be moved from field to field far more cheaply and regualrly.
_7817195.jpg

Still staying local but managed to get a bit further today and the tups have been busy boys.

_7817228.jpg

_7817236.jpg

The power source for the fencing.

_7817241.jpg

Last edited:
I finally got my gall bladder removed. But it took a bit more than a keyhole to get it out!
Hope that you are continuing to make a good recovery ... had mine out a while back and apparently the stones where everywhere, had several procedures after the gall bladder was removed. :)

Hope that you are continuing to make a good recovery ... had mine out a while back and apparently the stones where everywhere, had several procedures after the gall bladder was removed. :)
Thanks. I've been feeling better every day, but still keeping my fingers crossed. Apparently the bladder was, to quote the surgeon, 'full of stones'! Back in May one had moved and blocked my bile duct resulting in jaundice. I had that removed via a thing down my throat.

one had moved and blocked my bile duct resulting in jaundice. I had that removed via a thing down my throat
Yep, remember that experience.
Some sort of plug to the pancreas went ‘missing’ after it was done but fortunately it seems that it was eventually expelled!

Thanks. I've been feeling better every day, but still keeping my fingers crossed. Apparently the bladder was, to quote the surgeon, 'full of stones'! Back in May one had moved and blocked my bile duct resulting in jaundice. I had that removed via a thing down my throat.

Yep, remember that experience.
Some sort of plug to the pancreas went ‘missing’ after it was done but fortunately it seems that it was eventually expelled!

Blimey, chaps, you have been throught the mill. All sounds a bit painful :oops: :$

Last edited:
All the best for a speedy recovery and good to see you are still getting out. Really liking the photos of the dog in action

All the best for a speedy recovery and good to see you are still getting out. Really liking the photos of the dog in action
Thanks Chris.

I was able to get quite close to the dogs at that venue, but I'm not sure if I'll be going to many more trials. Maybe when I have a quiet weekend and the sun shines. Certainly not when the weather is foul. I've learned my lesson about that!

I felt up to a drive to the last big sale of the year today. I wasn't on top photographic form, and it's not the most inspiring sale. As someone said, it's the sale where people get rid of their dregs so don't buy anything to breed from. Good to get out of the house for a bit longer after three weeks, although I did start to wilt early and left long before the end of the sale.

There might be some more pics later.

_7817323.jpg

A sunny morning today so I put work on hold and went in search of sheep. I knew it would be wet but even with wellies on I had to stride over the electric fence to find some shallow water!

_7817481.jpg

I'd seen some new arrivals the other day so, not fancying a paddle back the way I'd come, I went to have a look at them.

_7817494.jpg

There was a pickup parked by the gate with a dog in the back, but I couldn't see anyone with the sheep. The electric fence was down though.

_7817493.jpg

As I carried on I saw someone restringing the wire. He'd bought the gimmers (young female sheep) as stores (to grow on for meat rather than to breed from) at Hexham last week and was getting them used to electric fences in this field before moving them on to turnips. Unless the fat lamb prices were holding up in which case they'd be straight off into the food chain!

_7817492.jpg

I'd had enough of being cooped up yesterday when the sun was shining so set off a bit late to look for sheep with a view to getting some 'sheepscape' type pictures. I was unlucky in my two banker spots with no better options close to hand. There's a grand view from one of them, it just needs a few sheep in the foreground.

_7821419.jpg

leaving there I took a road I don't usually travel and spotted some Lonks! I found a parking spot and got the camera out.

From the gate there was the possibility of a nice pic with Pendle Hill in the distance, lit in low late autumn sunshine. If only a sheep or two would move into the right spot. Fat chance! Sheep stand still and stare, then slowly turn their backs and wander off - if they haven't run away in the first place. This lot didn't run away. Neither did they arrange themselves photogenically. "Bloody sheep", as sheep farmers are often heard to say. This was the best I could manage.

_7817529.jpg

Elsewhere there were only two gaps in the hedge to shoot through. One had a sheep in view that just wouldn't pose nicely.

_7817534.jpg

The other had an inconvenient weed in the way.

_7817537.jpg

Without a doubt it was lovely light for sheep photography. and I cleared my head a bit. I really should do more forward planning rather than set off on a whim.

The big local flock has gone. They were moved earlier this week, but the electric fence is still in place.

_7817543.jpg

The wires had been dropped opposite the track where they must have been taken off. Hard to show in a photo.

_7817550.jpg

However, there is now a smaller flock in the field next door. Why they all ran to be under the electricity pylon when I was walking back home is just one of those sheep mysteries! :LOL:

_7817588.jpg

Another sunny day forecast so I headed for a sheep dog trial. On the way I saw a potential photo opportunity that might work better in the afternoon.

The trial was the usual stuff, but some half decent pics of dogs to be had.

_7821463.jpg

Focus!

_7817613.jpg

And some sheep pictures. In the letting out pen.

_7817599.jpg

_7817604.jpg

I should have gone down to the post first, then gone up to the letting out pen so I'd have had better light direction. Fool.

_7817737.jpg

_7817751.jpg

_7817698.jpg

Nice stick.

_7821480.jpg

_7821477.jpg

Last edited:
I left the trial around two thirty and found a parking spot near where I'd seen the possible 'landscape with sheep location'. It crossed my mind that rather than look for a place where I could have Lonks with a town in the distance that wind turbines might be the 21st century equivalent of smoking mill chimneys. All I needed was the right kind of light and some Lonks! Getting the turbine blades and sheep to make a picture would be all down to luck. I spent some time and shot a lot of frames. One or two worked somewhat.

_7817846.jpg

_7817833.jpg

_7817821.jpg

There were chances for other pictures too.

_7817856.jpg

_7821490.jpg

Two nice sets Dave. I especially like the portrait shots of the dogs and a sheep in the first set. Oh, and the humour of the number plate in the stick image isn't lost on me!

Two nice sets Dave. I especially like the portrait shots of the dogs and a sheep in the first set. Oh, and the humour of the number plate in the stick image isn't lost on me!
Thanks Paul. It's hard to go wrong with collies watching sheep!

Thanks Paul. It's hard to go wrong with collies watching sheep!
Your shots exemplify this. Such alertness in their stance.
Nice shots of the Phone mast/turbines/sheep and I think that your thesis that they are the modern equivalent of the mill chimneys has some validity(y).
I know that I am being a bit precious but i would prefer the turbines to be vertical:oops: :$
Good spot of the fence/wool/moors /urban area

Your shots exemplify this. Such alertness in their stance.
Nice shots of the Phone mast/turbines/sheep and I think that your thesis that they are the modern equivalent of the mill chimneys has some validity(y).
I know that I am being a bit precious but i would prefer the turbines to be vertical:oops: :$
Good spot of the fence/wool/moors /urban area
Thanks Alan.

It's the power lines at the top of the frames that irks me more than the wonky turbines. I've sorted both, but now the sheep is too close to the bottom of the frame...

_7817821-2.jpg

I'm not 100% sure of any of the turbine pics TBH. I might revisit - although no doubt when conditions are right the sheep will be elsewhere...

There is a danger with rural photography of looking for the nostalgic. I know one photographer who moans about the pickups at sheep dog trials for not being as photogenic as Land Rovers, and who doesn't go to the modern marts for the same reason. Neither bother me, in fact I like the juxtaposition of the traditional events in contemporary surroundings.

Yesterday afternoon. (I have no idea what that bright spot in the sky is.)

_7817961.jpg

This afternoon.

_7818000.jpg

Sheep tracks in the frost.

_7817995.jpg

Frosty wool on electric fence.

_7818004.jpg

Frost on electric fence reel.

_7818008.jpg

Last edited:
Loving the last shot!
Thanks. For some reason it looked out of focus on the camera so I took about half a dozen shots then gave up, but back home on they PC they were all fine!

#2 is eyecatching. The muted grey tones seem to suit the landscape and the sheep.

Cheers. It does make it look cold. I'd have liked a better arrangement of sheep, but they're fast moving grazers this lot and were soon off and away. :LOL:

No Boxing Day sheep dog trial today. :( But I had a drive up to the place anyway in search of sheep as the sun was threatening to shine and the rain/sleet/hail hold off. I found some sheep. Why this one was grazing where it was, and how it and its mates got in there, is anybody's guess!

_7821501.jpg

It obviously hadn't heeded the sign. :LOL:

_7821517.jpg

The precipitation didn't stay away, but with a stiff breeze it was one of those days when I could have sat and watched the light change for hours. Sadly there were no sheep in any places that might have made a good picture.

Yet again my timing was out. This bunch of Gritstones had just been fed. As I arrived the tractor was just coming up the track with the shepherdess's two dogs running ahead. Reaching the road she opened the cab door and the dogs jumped in. I missed it all as I was sat in my car drinking tea...

_7821534.jpg

Two other shots I missed, which I saw while driving, were a line of Lonks on a ridge, silhouetted against the clouds, and a rainbow over Blackburn. Both pictures had melted away by the time I could stop. I hate photography!

Last edited:
No Boxing Day sheep dog trial today. :( But I had a drive up to the place anyway in search of sheep as the sun was threatening to shine and the rain/sleet/hail hold off. I found some sheep. Why this one was grazing where it was, and how it and its mates got in there, is anybody's guess!

View attachment 377106

It obviously hadn't heeded the sign. :LOL:

View attachment 377108

The precipitation didn't stay away, but with a stiff breeze it was one of those days when I could have sat and watched the light change for hours. Sadly there were no sheep in any places that might have made a good picture.

Yet again my timing was out. This bunch of Gritstones had just been fed. As I arrived the tractor was just coming up the track with the shepherdess's two dogs running ahead. Reaching the road she opened the cab door and the dogs jumped in. I missed it all as I was sat in my car drinking tea...

View attachment 377109

Two other shots I missed, which I saw while driving, were a line of Lonks on a ridge, silhouetted against the clouds, and a rainbow over Blackburn. Both pictures had melted away by the time I could stop. I hate photography!

#1 is impressive. i like the barren - scape (is that a word/phrase)
Looks like you had an iffy day.
Maybe you drink too much tea?

Happy New Year (y)

#1 is impressive. i like the barren - scape (is that a word/phrase)
Looks like you had an iffy day.
Maybe you drink too much tea?

Happy New Year (y)
Thanks.

I got a couple of sheepless photos I liked. So not a complete waste.

jsm.jpgmsm.jpg

I do drink too much tea. Putting the kettle back on now for my second lunchtime brew!

Happy new Year to you, Alan, and everyone else who looks at my less than 'stunning' photos. :)

Last edited:
Back