Sheep etc.

did you see the real sad-looking-owl photo here the other day? Really looked to have a sad expression but I doubt it was anything of the kind :LOL:.
Correction: I did see the owl, but missed the comment about it looking sad. I did look a bit down!

_78O2500.jpgGot a few pics to g

o through from Chipping Show. Lonk numbers low again, but some new faces who are just starting with them. Other than that a pretty good all round turnout with a nice mix of breeds. Selected pics later. But first some cheese. There is a flock of milking sheep near Chipping.

_78O2721.jpg

Ah, cheese. Now you have got my attention.
What a food it is. The magic of taking milk and creating a wide range of tastes and textures .
And, with a little wrapping, you can carry it in your pocket
The doc says I have to avoid cheese. :(

I've subscribed to the British Newspaper Archive to research the history of Lonk sheep. Sad, I know but I've found some fascinating stuff. Court reports of sheep straying and impregnating ewes or devouring hay crops before they could be cut, for example. Lonks can "climb a wall like a cat"!

The the reports on north-west agricultural shows from 100 years and more ago are fascinating. For a start it seems like almost every village and rural town had a show at some point. Horses always had the most entries and got top billing in the reports - not just draught horses, there were 'leaping' classes too - but cheese was often a feature. Chipping is in the centre of Lancashire cheese making and the show still has a cheese tent.

_78O2720.jpg

Sheep pic to stay on topic!

_78O2589.jpg

I liked the contrasty nature of this early morning scene. And it tells a part of the show day story.

chipping-2.jpg

There was a shearing demo at intervals during the day. I expect this Mule was looking forward to being clipped.

chipping-1.jpg

I went back later a couple of times but missed the demo so I don't know who this wool belonged to

chipping-55.jpg

chipping-56.jpg

In the sheep pens the only clipping was to tidy up the fleece...

chipping-18.jpg

chipping-14.jpg

chipping-15.jpg

...before a final combing.

chipping-4.jpg

Sheep to follow.

chipping-36.jpg

chipping-23.jpg

chipping-42.jpg

chipping-22.jpg

chipping-32.jpg

Two tups weighing each other up. My favourite breeds to photograph too.

chipping-21.jpg

Hands on wool is becoming a project within a project.

chipping-50.jpg

chipping-51.jpg

The interbreed pairs judging.

chipping-64.jpg

And finally the interbreed individual champion. Lonks didn't win either category.

chipping-72.jpg

Photo call for the overall winner.

chipping-80.jpg

chipping-57.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday I was supposed to be at the Hope Show, but I spent an hour driving around trying to find it before I gave up as it was getting past judging time as I'd missed a turning earlier in the journey that added half an hour to the trip. That was an annoying day to say the least! Today went more smoothly as I know my way to Kilnsey.

I was talking to a stickmaker today about horns. He was offering to pay one of the Lonk breeders good money for some horns. He was after Lonk horns because Swaledales are being bred with narrower horns these days, which is leading to them having to be cut off before they grow in to touch the tup's cheeks. Lonks are still being bred with wide horns, which also have a different curve that makes them better to work. He also told me how you can spend hours working a horn to get it right to start the final work on it and then find a fault like a blood blister and have to scrap it. He said there's something like 40 hours work in a horn stick. I'm sure there are people who would find such information boring, but I love listening to craftspeople talk about what they do, it's the details that are so interesting.

Not a Lonk horn, as far as I know, nor one of that chap's, but a nice one nonetheless.

_78O3818.jpg

I've not finished sorting through my sheep photos yet, so that's it for now.

:exit:

I don't have a drone, but I do like to take elevated shots so after the judging was done I walked up to the base of Kilnsey crag for an overview of the sheep pens, which are handily situated right at the crag.

_78O3840.jpg

What I like about photographing people doing stuff with animals is the unpredictability of what you might see, and the challenge of reacting fast enough to make a photograph of something. Then there's the element of chance that entails. I know there's a likelihood of a decent picture materialising when the judge says "catch 'em up". But what that picture might be, and whether I'll make it is in the lap of the gods. I think I managed it this time. This one is all about the hands. It seems to tell the story far better than if I'd 'got everything in'.

_7510926.jpg

Then there are silly things which aren't great pictures but still have a place. Like levitating sheep. Pure chance that I got that, but a misbehaving sheep is always going to present an opportunity.

_78O3880.jpg

I'm always watching what other photographers are shooting, press photographers in particular. They always go for subjects which will be popular - 'characters', children, pretty sheep, trophy presentations. Understandable as the pictures pay their bills. It's all too easy to follow their lead, and when I started out going to shows that was sort of what I was doing. But while I still take that sort of picture (mainly for sharing on social, also to keep my eye in - as I find it best to keep taking photos all day rather than wait for good ones to appear) I think my pictures, the ones I consider my best, have changed over time.

I was thinking about this the other day and came to the conclusion that instead of trying to find 'their style' people should be aiming to find 'their voice'. Style implies more of processing look, which is superficial, voice suggest something less superficial and more personal. More of my arty waffle?

Needless to say I spent most of my time photographing the judging of the Gritstones and Lonks. I thought my shots of teh sign with the crag in the background was more interesting with teh pickup and trailer in than the ones without. It's the sort of picture that isn't much on its own, but in a sequence or page layout adds to the whole.

_7510879.jpg

The same with the empty pens to a degree, although it does have the abstract pattern going for it.

_78O2848.jpg

This judging picture is my choice out of all the ones I took yesterday.

_78O3727.jpg

But this is more the sort of thing that might go well on social. Same subject, different story?

_78O3765.jpg

This one is all about the patterns and shapes.

_78O3794.jpg

I'm not sure what I like about this one. It's something to do with the pose and the hands.

_78O3348.jpg

Some details. I think I might be getting a bit too foucsed on this sort of shot.

_78O3808.jpg

The interbreed champion is chosen by all the judges who award points to each breed champion, except the breed they judged. The one with the most points wins.

_78O3898.jpg

The announcer thanked all the usual suspects, sponsors, exhibitors, judges, stewards, and closed by saying that all the winners had had hours of preparation to look their best on the day. Except the Lonk, which had been gathered from the moor that morning! That's it on the right of this photo, looking decidedly grubby, as you can see. :LOL:

_7510932.jpg

Last edited:
_78O4186.jpg

Bentham Show is a difficult one to photograph. The judging of the breed classes takes place in the cattle pens. This means there is no room inside the pens, and the bars of the pens get in the way if you are outside the pens. if that wasn't sufficient hindrance it's as dark as night in the pens! At least the interbreed judging takes place outside, with plenty of space - if you get in the right place for a good view.

If I find any decent photos I'll post them later. In the meantime here's one of some Lonks I spotted on my way home. The Gatekeepers.

_78O4197.jpg

Or?

_78O4215.jpg

I know there's a picture somewhere in the sheepwash/pens, which is why I almost always stop for a look when I pass them. I think I might have found a couple of viewpoints today. All I need is weather and light to make the picture. A flat grey sky isn't it.

sheepwash01.jpg

I'm still practicing my video techniques. :exit: It's a much more difficult learning curve, but I might stick with it until I'm competent at a few basics. Then I might, only might, plan a short video out to shoot next year now I'm very much repeating the stills.

I always leave it until I've done all the stills I want to do before I think of moving pictures, so content is thin. Although this time I did a bit early on, - the face washing clip which is the best bit by far. A pity it was a Herdwick!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtsOKeumZIM&ab_channel=DaveLumb

This is what you're up against at Bentham.

_7510964.jpg

All the breeds have their own 'alley' signposted. It's mostly hill sheep and their tradtitional crossing sires and the resulting offspring at this show. Herdwick, Rough Fell, Dalesbred, Swaledale and Lonks - except there is no Lonk class, it's a Black-Faced class, which (from my delving into newspaper archives) is a throwback to the 1800s or earlier. Another small show held nearby is similar, but they call the class 'Country Bred', which as far as I can work out used to include Lonks and Lonk-Swaledale crosses.

_78O4014.jpg

_78O3994.jpg

_78O4005.jpg

_78O3999.jpg

I was hoping to get some Dalesbred pictures but they were deep in the dark part of the mart, and the Rough Fells were awkwardly placed. I hope to try for them both on Wednesday at the Westmoreland.

The bars of the pens gave me three opportunities for picture making.

Use them as a feature.

_7511006.jpg

Climb them to get a different vantage point.

_7510975.jpg

Or photograph through them with a wide lens.

_7510984.jpg

The interbreed group of three and individual judging!

_78O4128.jpg

_78O4149.jpg

Swaledale, Lonk, Dalesbred, and hard to spot Rough Fell.

_78O4133.jpg

There are no big non-farming related 'attractions' at the Bentham show. Not many from outside the area, or the farming community, seem to attend either. Long may it continue that way.

_78O4106.jpg

Westmorland Show today. Thankfully this sign wasn't true!

_7511046.jpg

One more before I get stuck in to sorting today's junk out. The low autumn sun was proving troublesome today. I resorted to using on-camera flash a time or two. o_O

_78O4448.jpg

I hate it when the gear does matter. This was me starting to 'work' the scene. I wanted the tin in focus. It was.

_7511054.jpg

Then I tried other angles and got the one I wanted with the sheep in the right place. The tin is out of focus and nothing important is in focus. The new camera would have nailed it with its improved liveview. But the right lens was on the wrong body. Bah!

_7511057.jpg

Did I get anything worthwhile? Not really if I'm honest.

I can't decide between these two. Which usually means both are misses.

_78O4400.jpg

_78O4406.jpg

Judges deliberating the champion upland sheep. Close but not close enough.

_78O4502.jpg

And lots of same old same old with the Lonks and Grits.

_78O4441.jpg

This made me chuckle. Rain was threatened.

_78O4325.jpg

Probably my best shots were fleece abstracts. This time Herdwicks.

_78O4291.jpg

Runner up shot.

_78O4289.jpg

The colours remind me of the Rothkos in the Tate.

I wonder if I'll do any better at Hodder Valley on Saturday? Or have I burned myself out with sheep shows?

The sheep pens were being put together when I drove past on my scenic route home. It's a nice setting for a show. Hope the rain holds off.

_78O4517.jpg

Last edited:
My trip to the Westmorland paid for itself with a couple of pictures sold off Facebook. I don't go out of my way to make saleable pictures but every so often someone likes one, or I have a picture that nobody else got, or sometimes mine is better than the under or over exposed, or blurry, phone pics they had taken. It would be too much of a chore for me to go to shows deliberately take photos to sell. That said I might be getting a paid gig to take some pre-sale tup photos. I ain't holding my breath though!

Back in the real world I think Hodder Valley today was my last agricultural show for the year over and done with. Nidderdale (pately Bridge) is a bit of a trek for me, and it lacks a Lonk class. But the forecast is for a dry day and I might be bored next Sunday. :LOL: Anyway, some pics.

I think it's a nice touch when shows have information boards by the livestock to inform the non farming public about the various breeds.

_7814668.jpg

It's getting difficult to find fresh subjects and angles on things. Hence nothing special to show. Although there is a bit of a change of style as I've been driven to us my widest lens, mainly through lack of space. I try not to shoot wider than 28mm as I dislike the ultrawide look, especially with people at the edge of the frame, so try to avoid creating it. There are ways to get a more 'natural' look to pictures shot with ultrawides, but I still prefer to avoid it.

Two at 18mm. The 'ultrawide look' is creeping in to the second one.

_7820086.jpg

_7820056.jpg

I much prefer being limited to 35mm at the wide end.

_7820062.jpg

_7814756.jpg

The close in, sheep's eye view makes for good pics (when they're in focus...) which is why I keep coming back to them...

_7814783.jpg

...as I do close ups taken a longer foal lengths - which create DoF problems.

_7814811.jpg.

Slightly off-topic, the Slaidburn Archive had their usual stall in the main marquee. This year's display was all about the history and construction ofdry stone walls, and in addition to the information boards there was an album of photographs of wall building.

_7814903.jpg

The album struck me as a great way to use photography to make a historical record of rural work. It seems a pity that more hobbyist photographers don't get involved in producing something like this. But sadly they seem to be like a friend of mine who when he said he was struggling for subject matter that he didn't want to 'do a project'. Why are people so drawn to making single images? Maybe they simply can't make the commitment to project based photography.

_7814904.jpg

Finally, if the processing recently looks a bit crap it's because Lightroom has changed the profile I usually use after I updated it recently. It's making my pictures too contrasty and I'm trying to work out the best settings to dial that back. Sometimes I might have overdone it.

Last edited:
Back in the real world I think Hodder Valley today was my last agricultural show for the year over and done with. Nidderdale (pately Bridge) is a bit of a trek for me, and it lacks a Lonk class. But the forecast is for a dry day and I might be bored next Sunday.
MONDAY!

It's been changed because of the funeral. ;)

Last edited:
It's been changed because of the funeral. ;)

Ah! They haven’t changed their web page — I did check before opening my mouth and putting my foot in it!

My trip to the Westmorland paid for itself with a couple of pictures sold off Facebook. I don't go out of my way to make saleable pictures but every so often someone likes one, or I have a picture that nobody else got, or sometimes mine is better than the under or over exposed, or blurry, phone pics they had taken. It would be too much of a chore for me to go to shows deliberately take photos to sell. That said I might be getting a paid gig to take some pre-sale tup photos. I ain't holding my breath though!

Back in the real world I think Hodder Valley today was my last agricultural show for the year over and done with. Nidderdale (pately Bridge) is a bit of a trek for me, and it lacks a Lonk class. But the forecast is for a dry day and I might be bored next Sunday. :LOL: Anyway, some pics.

I think it's a nice touch when shows have information boards by the livestock to inform the non farming public about the various breeds.

View attachment 366623

It's getting difficult to find fresh subjects and angles on things. Hence nothing special to show. Although there is a bit of a change of style as I've been driven to us my widest lens, mainly through lack of space. I try not to shoot wider than 28mm as I dislike the ultrawide look, especially with people at the edge of the frame, so try to avoid creating it. There are ways to get a more 'natural' look to pictures shot with ultrawides, but I still prefer to avoid it.

Two at 18mm. The 'ultrawide look' is creeping in to the second one.

View attachment 366629

View attachment 366627

I much prefer being limited to 35mm at the wide end.

View attachment 366628

View attachment 366624

The close in, sheep's eye view makes for good pics (when they're in focus...) which is why I keep coming back to them...

View attachment 366625

...as I do close ups taken a longer foal lengths - which create DoF problems.

View attachment 366626.

Slightly off-topic, the Slaidburn Archive had their usual stall in the main marquee. This year's display was all about the history and construction ofdry stone walls, and in addition to the information boards there was an album of photographs of wall building.

View attachment 366630

The album struck me as a great way to use photography to make a historical record of rural work. It seems a pity that more hobbyist photographers don't get involved in producing something like this. But sadly they seem to be like a friend of mine who when he said he was struggling for subject matter that he didn't want to 'do a project'. Why are people so drawn to making single images? Maybe they simply can't make the commitment to project based photography.

View attachment 366631

Finally, if the processing recently looks a bit crap it's because Lightroom has changed the profile I usually use after I updated it recently. It's making my pictures too contrasty and I'm trying to work out the best settings to dial that back. Sometimes I might have overdone it.

No 5 with the sheep portrait must be one of my faves of your shots (y)

The sun was promising a colourful sunset so I nipped out to the marsh hoping for an 'interesting' shot of the sheep pens. Of course the sun went behind a huge cloud just before I reached the pens. I hung around, photographing some inquisitive heifers in the next field waiting for the cloud to blow over. It did, but the moment (if there had been one) had passed.

_7815135 - Copy.jpg

As I arrived there was some sheep work going on on the other side of the floodbank. There is a name for this lighting effect, when there is slate grey sky and brightly lit foliage but I can't remember what it is. Someone I knew said the colours were 'rattling' when the light's like this. More vivid in reality than in my photo.

_7815104 - Copy.jpg

Nothing more than a couple of random throwaway pictures if I'm honest, but that's the way it goes a lot of the time.

Last edited:
First breeding sheep auction for me this autumn - horned and hill-going ewes - and I felt like I was going through the motions. As a result I wasted a lot of time and frames trying slow shutter speeds, which is a lot of pot luck to get anything worth keeping. Which I didn't, although this one might be worth trying again.

_7815292.jpg

Other than that it was 'snaps' and sheep-shape type photos like these:

_7815336.jpg

_7815282.jpg

_7815273.jpg

This one works better larger. The important part is Eli holding up ten fingers to tell bidders there's £10 'luck money' on the sale. Some vendors wave tenners or fivers. It's a strange custom, luck money. A kind of back pocket discount!

_7815366.jpg

I took a closer shot to make it clearer/serve as an illustration.

_7815367.jpg

If I'd not blurred this by rushing it I think the lines work OK. Hence the B&W conversion.

_7815448.jpg

While I didn't progress photographically I did listening to how the 'old type' of Lonk is harder to find these days. The complaint being that concentration has been on breeding for face and legs while neglecting the fleece. From what I've read in my trawling of online archives the Lonk was always noted for having a better fleece than other hill/mountain sheep..
This didn't stop my informant filling the trailer in the above photo with sheep to 'sneak past' his son and daughter who he's handed the decision making over too! He got them at good prices too.

It was also fascinating to watch him bidding. If I hadn't known which sheep he was interested in I'd not have known he was bidding. Auctioneers must have hawk-like eyes to spot the tiny facial twitches from the rostrum. :D

Should I find anything worth posting as I go through my pics in more detail later I'll stick them up. Don't hold your breath.

There might be a few worth a look.

Here's a fine example of my battle with wide angle lenses. Cramped loctaions need them to get enough in teh frame, but things at the edge get 'stretched' - which is a problem when the things are people.

_7820470.jpg

Slipped up with this. F11 and ISO 40,000. No wonder it looks rough! :ROFLMAO:

_7820477.jpg

Let's find something better. But not much...

Deciding what to bid on. Steve had me fondling sheep to experience the difference between a woolly fleece and a hairy one. They both felt the same to me!

_7820280-2.jpg

Not sure if this one works for anyone other than me, but I like it.

_7815426.jpg

The same with this one.

_7820427.jpg

We don't get to see many Scotch Blackface down here. But there's that distortion again.

_7820374.jpg

More Lonk madness for me this weekend, then a whole sheep-free week. Good job too as I have a load of work that I should have started today!

It was the annual Lonk Sheep Breeders Association show today. Naturally I was there. :LOL:

I was going to go across yesterday to photograph them putting the pens up, but work got in the way. However, I was there bright and two hours early (there was a sheep dog trial on that started at 8.30 ;)) which gave me a chance to photograph the empty pens before anyone arrived. I also had another go at photographing the Ram Inn. I was hoping that the early light would be on it. It was, but only part of it. To get it all illuminated I think I'd have to see it in high summer.

_7820510.jpg

I've found some old photos of The Ram Inn online and the sign has been there a long time. (I know I posted a photo of it last year but...)

_7815464.jpg

I only noticed the blue plaque when I zoomed in to the photo on my PC. I can make out the name but not the inscription, so I'll have to go back some time as the name has Lonk connections.

_7815460.jpg

I took far too many shots today, the vast majority I think I took without really thinking. But you never know. I did find one or two things that I worked at. This was one of them. The yellow warning sticker is a little annoying. I'm not cloning it out though!

_7815942.jpg

As usual, if there's anything else worth showing I'll stick them up in due course. I did have some enjoyable conversations, and people thanked me for posting my photos on Facebook, and for posting the stuff I've found digging into newspaper and library archives online. This has lead to offers to lend me old books and other Lonk info, and a chance to go 'on farm'. So my long term plan for a book of photos and text about the Lonk might start getting off the ground at long last.

Thanks for looking, and comments always welcome.

Last edited:
Early doors.

_7820523.jpg

How I got to that pic.

pengrid.jpg

Before, during, and after.

_7815458.jpg

_7815629.jpg

_7815947.jpg

Maybe one day I'll get a pic of a tup and the inn sign that I'm happy with. These are nearly there.

_7815557.jpg

_7815574.jpg

One more post when I've picked some better shots out.

There was plenty of room at this show, which should have made things easier but it wasn't. Getting in close felt like I was getting in the way for some reason. Probably because everyone else was standing round leaning on the surrounding pens. I got a lot of wide views, many of which required cropping to make work. Most unsatisfactory!

Some were OK.

_7815652.jpg

_7815596.jpg

_7815637.jpg

_7815644.jpg

_7815697.jpg

It was a long day. Judging started at eleven, there was an hour break for lunch, then more judging. Over twenty classes, including best woolled ewe and tup, in total, and three judges.

_7815723.jpg

_7815819.jpg

It was gone five when the champion Lonk was decided.

_7815895.jpg

_7815899.jpg

_7815857.jpg

_7820656.jpg

_7815919.jpg

The Lonk breed sale record was broken today. 9,000 guineas for the champion tup of the day. A right handful of a sheep it is too!

_7816451.jpg

_7816456.jpg

_7816460.jpg

I'll have more photos from the day, and some other news, later. In the meantime here's a clip I hastily started recording when the bidding got above the previous high of the day.

View: https://youtu.be/Vgsh89-oipY

Here goes.

Today was the annual sale following the annual show, with a show before the sale. All very confusing! Other than teh sale ring the mart's a horrible dark place (as I'm sure I've mentioned before), which makes it difficult to get lots of depth of field and little noise. But when the sun is bright there can be some interesting effects. Sadly the bright sun was transient and I didn't make enough of it. These freshly oiled horns had potential. Unrealised. in this case.

_7816060.jpg

I keep on looking for juxtapositions.

_7816131.jpg

And sticks.

_7816274.jpg

The show classes varied from none, aged ewes, to lots, shearling tups. The judge whittled these down quickly with a check of teeth and the back of the neck. I think the back of the neck inspection was to look for black on the skin.

_7820720.jpg

He knew it would be dark, so brought a torch!

_7816215.jpg

Smartphones are the way to get results on to social media within seconds. There was almost a running report on Facebook.

_7816251.jpg

This year there was a 'leader board' which was moved to the sale ring after the show.

_7816269.jpg

After a break for a brew it was time for the sale.

_7816293.jpg

Vendors often give the auctioneer some information about the sheep to help the sale along as they enter the ring.

_7816310.jpg

I didn't secure a ringside spot, so had to make do as best I could. But as the crowd thinned out I was able to get a few different angles.

_7816385.jpg

So much for farming being the preserve of old men!

_7820817.jpg

It's all about the eyes.

_7816383.jpg

I took a lot of photos. Very few worth adding to my 'project file'.

However... Working on the premise that if you tell enough people you are doing a book about something it has to happen, I've been doing that among the Lonk breeders. It's starting to pay off as there are a few who also think there is a need to make another record of the breed as it's over 25 years since there was book produced, and things have moved on in that short time.

The Hey family brought me a file of stuff they have saved, newsletters from the 1980s and this book from1991.

_78O6472.jpg

_78O6484.jpg

I've done quite a bit of online researching and found some interesting stuff, so I'm hoping there will be more in the folder.

Quite what this book is going to end up like I don't know yet. It won't be a photobook, there will be a fair bit of text too covering the breed and Association's history, and hopefully memories of the breeders if I can get some interviews recorded. Maybe there'll be some photostories to be made, in the manner of the brilliant Daniel Meadows - https://vimeo.com/61799457?embedded=true&source=vimeo_logo&owner=15481435

Last edited:
I sense a real hopefulness, even excitement :oops: :$ in your tone.
All very well done (y)
Thanks.

I'm hoping to get some pics of sheep away from shows and sales. One more sale this weekend then none until February. As I'm easing off the sheep dog trials it'll be a long sheepless winter if I don't!

Time will tell.

The photogenic light doesn't last long at the mart, and there were no sheep in the pens where it was playing nicely. Ho hum.

_7816507.jpg

I have another version of the one below with a much better sunburst, but the rest of the frame is rubbish. I ought to take more care. This is why I'd never make it as a pro!

_7816491.jpg

And I should clean my lenses...

This is likely to be my last sale or show outing of the year as I think I'll give tomorrow's a miss, and I might be out of action for the big two day sale later this month. So I'll post a few more later. There are one or two OK pics, but I don't think there's anything startling.

Back