Sheffield and area - wedding TOG recommendations and advice on stretching the budget

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,
A good friend of mine if getting married next year and as often happens I've been asked to give advice on finding a TOG.

I feel so strongly that's it's important to get someone good that I'm trying to contribute cash myself as their wedding present, though they are resisting!

Budget is £1000-1500 inclusive. Can you recommend anyone in this price range that can cover the Sheffield area please.

I've suggested that it's better to get a good tog for a smaller part of the day than go for an all inclusive package. My thinking is that I can do candid shots and first dance myself if money too tight, that means that the shots of the daytime will be much better that way.

Even though I've only done 1 wedding as a main tog I shoot candid with friends and family a lot with some occasional street thrown in so feel fairly comfortable with doing this if needs must.

Appreciate any advice or thoughts on this or any other tips on how to make the budget stretch further.

I could also use some more ammo to persuade them to take my cash!

Cheers
Ryan

£1000 - £1500 for a wedding tog is certainly not budget territory and you should easily get a good one, especially if the B&G only want them for the preparation, ceremony and formal stuff leaving you to cover the reception and first dance.

Suggest they look through the local togs and see the ones they like before looking at the prices. As for reccomendations isn't our own DiddyDave reasonably local to Sheffield?

Tips to stretch the budget (all ones I've known done)

Rent a posh car for the week and use it for the honeymoon get a friend to drive it.
Make your own wedding cake or buy basic ones from M&S and then decorate accordingly
Reduce the numbers (probably the biggest cost).
Buy the suits and waistcoats online and then sell them afterwards.
Decorate the tables yourselves (sourcing stuff online away from the wedding supplies companies).
Don't have any alcohol on the tables (go for things like schloer).
Get a wedding tog who charges separately for the albums after the wedding and who effectively just charges for their time (the B&G can get money towards the albums etc as presents)

Get your friends to do a Google search on Wedding Photographer Yorkshire, Wedding Photographer Sheffield. That will throw up those local who they can go and have a look at.

Simple place to start.

£1000 - £1500 for a wedding tog is certainly not budget territory and you should easily get a good one, especially if the B&G only want them for the preparation, ceremony and formal stuff leaving you to cover the reception and first dance.

thanks for the tips Simon.

£1000-£1500 is the budget available I know this isn't a the low end of tog prices but I think spend money on a good trusted tog is the way to go.

I was looking for tips on how to stretch the TOG budget further rather than the whole wedding but thanks for the advice, I'll pass it on!

Get your friends to do a Google search on Wedding Photographer Yorkshire, Wedding Photographer Sheffield. That will throw up those local who they can go and have a look at.

Simple place to start.

Thanks Mark, looking for recommendations, we already have a long list of possible TOGs but nothing beats a personal recommendation from someone on hear.

I'll check out diddydave, thanks Simon!

Ways to save on the wedding photographer? Well, the easiest is for them to go with someone who will do a disk only package - though that doesn't mean it will be cheap. Then they can go to Blurb.com and purchase themselves an album through them using their images from the disk. but they need to check what level of finish the images will be given for a disk only package - I don't work in Sheffield that often, so this isn't about putting myself forward, but just to give you an example - I charge £1,250 for my disk only package for 6 hours coverage and I do all edits up to proof level (so that's colour balance and exposure). I don't get rid of spots or whatever as I would with album images. I know some people do disk only and it's just about SOFC. So they just need to be sure what they'll get for their disk only purchase.

It is possible to get a great complete package for that ;)

Spooky - just seen this thread and just had a contact message tonight from someone wanting to come to see me about their Wedding in May 2011 :D Could it be the same peeps? Or a funny coincidence :shrug:

Ryan - if it's your mates - do you want to 'assist' ???

And...

Ryan - if it's not your mates but your mates book me anyway - do you want to 'assist' ???

Could be a good way to get some decent portfolio shots & a few tips on going 'Pro' for yourself

Feel free to pm me for more info :)

DD

Back