Sheffield Arena + definition of a professional camera

Is my camera "professional"

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone have experience of trying to take photographs at Sheffield Arena? I went with my family to see Dancing on Ice. When presenting our tickets at the main entrance we were told photography was permitted but not by flash – fair enough – my wife checked this and was clearly told there were no restrictions on photography.

Just before the show started a member of staff approached us saying photography was not allowed as my camera was a “professional” camera, it’s a Sony A100, and basically I had to let her have my camera or leave. I certainly was not handing my camera gear over, she called her supervisor who supported her saying I had to take my camera to the information desk. I tired to get them to explain why all of the others there could take photographs but I could with my camera. I was told, only 35mm and lower cameras are aloud, the lens is too long, zoom lenses aren’t allowed, it’s a professional camera (I wish), the organisers of the show won’t allow it – although they couldn’t find that in the organiser’s rules.

Having been told, without asking, that photography was allowed
and Teresa having specially asking if there were any other restrictions on photography I felt extremely embarrassed by this, I did eventually hand my camera over to the information desk, I wouldn’t hand it over to just anyone who came up to me and told me I had to do that.

Does anyone else have similar experiences of Sheffield Arena?

Chris

www.photographerswithdisabilities.com

Not been to the same venue, but had it with the o2 and also Wembley.

In both cases i checked first, and both times they said they would consider a professional camera to be any camera that you couldn't fit in you pocket. So they were even including bridge cameras.

They also said i could not get away with it by wearing clown trousers.

Yet the last time I was at the Sheffield Arena, there was a dude sat 2 rows in front of me with a HD Camcorder recording pretty much the entire set!:wacky:

It's a common thing at most venues now...remember, most non-photographers don't have a scooby - if it's big and black it's a Professional camera...lol

Wembley stadium has the policy that if it's a big zoom lens then you aren't allowed it. I don't think they're so fussed about the actual body.

I would assume Sheffield is pretty similar.

Those "stewards" or crowd nazis love telling people to put their cameras away. In my experience they tend to be egotistical fluoro wearing idiots.

Surly its the operator that can only claim professional status, the camera just does what its told.
I'd be writing a letter of complaint about how embarrassed and disappointed you were with their facility and how it may put you off going back there again. Explain that if they have such rules they should clearly display them before you enter the venue and not upset you and your family once inside. for the cost of a stamp at worst they will write back with a lame excuse, at best you might get a voucher of some sort inviting you back.

Those "stewards" or crowd nazis love telling people to put their cameras away. In my experience they tend to be egotistical fluoro wearing idiots.

It's their job... it's part of the license for the performing artist etc, so the venue has blanket rules to make life easy, they just have to enforce it...

Hiya All

Email complaining has already gone, even my daughter who usually tells me to put my camera away was incensed. The tickets says no unauthorized photography but we were told on entry photography was permitted without flash, we didn't ask whether it was at that point, my wife then clarified it with the woman and she clearly said the only limitation is on flash.

One of the guys had the promoters rules with him but quickly put them away and wouldn't show me them after he said, "I can't find anything in here" or words to that affect.

I accept they are doing their job, having been rather insistent with the staff and protesting my case I did apologies saying if I had come over as rude it was not my intention, but so was the first woman who told us we could take photographs!

I agree with the comment about clear displays, one problem I am partially sighted so reading them can be a problem, hence I usually ask!!

Over the same weekend we visited Chatworth, asked about photography there, after being told two or three times it was allowed and not quite believing them finally got a definative ruling from one of the guides.

His comment,

The only restriction is to make sure that you wind down the rubber bits so the spikes on tripods don;t scratch the wooden floors.

Hmm its ok for Chatworth ..........

Chris

Chris, sounds like you were unfortunate enough to get a jobsworth.

been to Sheff Arena many times, even openly carrying my S5 and 70-200 round my neck.

and I have only been warned once and that was because I had left the focus assist light switched on!

But then, I have never been and openly seen NO PHOTOGRAPHY WHAT SO EVER sign posted anywhere.
So, TRY AND STOP ME MUAHAHAHA

I'm guessing when you asked if photography was allowed, they thought you meant with a point and shoot as some shows ban this. I consider any camera you can change the lens, to be professional. Have to agree with Dave, they are just doing their job.

professionals get good results from any camera...isnt that right david..(bailey)..:)

Just to clarify, in the first instance I didn't ask, the woman that told us had no clue if I was carry a camera, I am guessing that she told everyone the same, Teresa asked very clearly whether there were other restrictions and was told no.

Chris

Just to clarify, in the first instance I didn't ask, the woman that told us had no clue if I was carry a camera, I am guessing that she told everyone the same, Teresa asked very clearly whether there were other restrictions and was told no.

Chris

i think the parameters could be that the image data could be used 'professionaly' and enhanced by higher technology...

a large Mp compact could take decent shots but perhaps not in the raw class

Well I have at least had a response from the Arena, it says photography is usually banned - not quite what it says on the ticket - and their staff aren't photographic experts! Not quite the issue I raised with them.

Chris

I can see why they have restrictions on photography but I don't understand why they don't educate those enforcing any rules. Especially as SLR cameras are much more the norm these days with many of their users not being a professional and never will be, I guess that is where the problem lies - it's easier to make the distinction based on your equipment rather than trying to work out if you are a professional photographer.

These days promoters are so paranoid it's ridiculous, I'm waiting for them to try and ban mobile phones!

I've just read this and it brings back striking memories from the Good Food Show at the NEC in 2008, Where cameras ARE permitted. I had my 400D and 17-85 lens.

My other half was waiting in a queue to have her book signed by Gordon Ramsey (No, I don't know why either!) and while waiting I was informed as I didn't have a book I couldn't stand in the queue and needed to go behind the barrier (6 foot away). so no problem off I went.

About 5 mins before Gordon was due to arrive 2 security staff came over and asked me for my press pass.

"I don't have one, i'm a member of the public"
"Is that your camera?" bearing in mind it was around my neck, I was tempted to be sarcastic but opted against. I was then asked if the holster on my belt was mine, again I opted for the straight answer.

after a few mins of interrogation including repeating the request to see my press pass, they did let me continue and stand where I was. Then Right before Gordon came out to sign the books they placed a publicity girl right in front of me on the other side of the barrier. if i moved left so did she, etc. I did eventually get a couple of photo's of my other half getting her book signed but not the ones I'd have liked to get.

Mind you, it was the week after the Sun had revealed his affair with his publisher, so that may have had a bearing :LOL:

Hmmm... I wonder where these venues stand with the GF1 and 14-45 lens ? It looks like a compact, but I suspect could take professional images in the right hands.

Pretty common for this to happen I'm sure. They won't know the difference between a Sony A100 or a Sony A900, they'll just see a black camera with a 'long zoom' think it's 'professional' and that's that. If you're in their house you play by their rules unfortunately.

I can see their point though as imagine 10,000 folk with dslr cameras and a 70-200 on each one, it would get pretty annoying I'd imagine.

Also have a feeling things are getting tighter now SLRs feature Video.

The link below was from Nottingham Arena a good 20 rows back from the front!. Shot on a Canon 500D with a 300mm Image stabilized lens and built in mic only at 720P

The Promoters at this event were fine with it, but you can understand some getting the heebie jeebies as if it compromises ticket sales at events.

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uavwtmh-r3M&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Uavwtmh-r3M&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

I'm afraid most venues are the same.

I never take mine with me now. It's not worth it.

The only exception was the gadget show live at the NEC. It says no photography on the tickets but the gadget show team encourage it at the start of the show. I sat in the front row with a D90 and 70-200 zoom :LOL:

Andy

we were told on entry photography was permitted without flash,

Were the same stewards removing all the compact cameras with flash on them, every concert i've been to is like a paparazzi fest when the artist comes on stage, flashes going off from 1/2 a mile away, they must be excellent pictures, a bit of blue a long way way and the back of a lot of heads perfectly exposed :LOL:

Most of the compact owners wouldn't have a clue how to turn the auto flash off so I just wondered if they enforced that rule as well

I was almost thrown out of a McFly gig at Plymouth Pavillions for taking photos with my Sony DSC-H50, I was 45 years old at the time..........go me, ROCK N ROLL :LOL:

i went to wembley stadium with my bridge camera. the guy just checked my partners bag with the camera in and said carry on. No issues at all. went to o2 arena in birmingham and nothing was said until i started video. then i was asked to stop or leave ! i rang shepherds bush to enquire what their rules were as it mentioned professional not allowed. The girl there said that although a bridge camera was acceptable, the security didnt know the difference so probably best to leave it at home. perhaps we need a note from our mums confirming that we dont have a professional camera ?

as far as most big venues are concerned, anything more than a point and shoot is a no no.
they wont let ya play with dslr's and even bridge cameras .
you can see bloomin hundreds of point n shoots, and camera phones.
but no "proper " cameras.
So play by their rules. What is the 'longest' P&S camera? The Samsung WB650 with its 24 – 360 mm equivalent looks pretty pocketable.

Is there a smaller and longer lensed one out there?

Lumix TZ6, 25-300 optical zoom, Back of the top balcony, Sheffield City Hall...

Not bad, really...

Same Camera, about half way back at Sheffield Arena...

Saves carting a SLR and big white lens around :)

Back