Shiny's 2023 52 Thread

Lovely atmospheric shot for Snapper's Choice Martin. Where is that?

Thank you. Valley of Rocks at Lynton in Devon.

Ah, thanks. I though it looked familiar (been there a couple of times), but an unusual angle. Also looked like a valley near Castelton in Derbyshire, but the building looked in too good a nick for it to be that one!

I suppose these aren't really 'connected' with each other, but they are connectable connections, so I'm gonna go for it :exit:

Connections by Martin H, on Flickr

Last edited:
They could definitely be connected to something, looks like area behind our telly. Nice lighting, especially the shape of the light

I think we've all got a bunch of leads in a box like that! Nice inclusion of a red lead for a little pop of colour.

I think we've all got a bunch of leads in a box like that! Nice inclusion of a red lead for a little pop of colour.
Thanks, the red lead was deliberate too.

Liquid Assets

A bit of a cheeky interpretation of the theme but aside from a picture of a reservoir or other water-based image, my mind was a blank here.

Liquid by Martin H, on Flickr

Distant memory of things that were, before modern life tore them from the Earth

I rode all over the place this afternoon looking for the names of roads with housing that indicated what had been destroyed to create them; I found far too many and in a very short time: Oakland Close, Beechwood Drive, Higher Meadow. I would feel a lot happier if the destroyed places were indicated by 'Old Gas Works Close' or 'Slag Heap Avenue' but unfortunately, there is no money in developing brownfield sites, so developers take the easy way out and destroy farmland, or woods or meadows. Below is one of the latest areas to be decimated for someone's bank account and contains about 700 houses, with a planning application for the next field for another 1000; we'll not be happy until we've concreted over the whole country. It's very sad.

DistantMemory by Martin H, on Flickr

Last edited:
I like your interpretation for liquid, strong image well lit.
Distant, it is really sad watching Cornwall disappear under new developments, especially as so many houses are second homes or holiday rentals.

Nice idea for distant. I agree with Roger above. Also it’s a pity that local people especially younger people wont be able to afford them.

Good idea for distant but quite depressing, it’s not just Cornwall suffering as it’s the same up here in North Wales. Need new homes but still lots of old houses empty.

I like your interpretation for liquid, strong image well lit.
Distant, it is really sad watching Cornwall disappear under new developments, especially as so many houses are second homes or holiday rentals.
I have lived here for twenty years and the increase in traffic and the over-whelming of local services is palpable, even in my village they are trying to build up to 46 houses on a field next to a totally inappropriate road.
Nice idea for distant. I agree with Roger above. Also it’s a pity that local people especially younger people wont be able to afford them.
In fairness, young people have never been able to afford a house at first. When I was young we had to work hard and, not to put too fine a point on it, wait for someone to die before we had the money to buy a first home and this was in the time when mortgage companies would only offer 2.5 times ones take-home wage, these days it's up to eight times. It is this ability for more people to buy homes that pushes the prices up, it's a vicious circle.
Good idea for distant but quite depressing, it’s not just Cornwall suffering as it’s the same up here in North Wales. Need new homes but still lots of old houses empty.
Too many second homes. Some of the local seaside villages are empty in the winter, loads of houses housing no one.
Two good takes on the various themes.
Thank you for looking.

Two strong images Martin, both with cold hard cash as the subject really.
Yes, I hadn't thought of that.

Liquid... nice "crisp" image and a different take on the theme.
Distant.. totally with you on this one. They're builidng onto villages round here but the infrastructure to support them is rapidly closing down (eg our local cottage hospital).

No matter how well-built, nothing is permanent, life is fragile and [in this case] it only takes a match... (EDIT: Turns out it was a bomb in WW2)

And when one edifice falls, another springs up behind it.

Fragile by Martin H, on Flickr

Last edited:
Such a shame to see an old church in this state, a nice shot for the theme.
It's called Charles Church. It was destroyed by fire after a bombing in 1941, it was left as it was as a memorial to the 1200 civilians who were killed by bombs during the Second World War; it actually sits in the middle of a roundabout called Drake Circus, in Plymouth.

Know this very well, using the hotel in the background is a good idea.

Robust. This is a PABD picture as I have been, and will be, quite busy this week. I'm also between cameras as my D810 and my X100v are in for part exchange and my new D850 is yet to arrive so this was taken on an old Panasonic as a JPEG.

This cactus was given to us probably 22 years ago and was about 1" high at the time. Each of these cactus growths (from the same plant) are about a foot high and the whole pot with cactus in I would think weighs about 15kg; it is a large and mighty robust cactus indeed.

FYI It is a Mamillaria

RobustCactus by Martin H, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's one prickly robust pinky flowered thingie!!!

Wow!, Big cactus, I can never get them to grow like that, let alone flower... :D

I really like this shot, you have chosen a good pov to shoot them from, rather than the more usual side on. Works well.

I don't think it's much of a PABD shot, as many might know a cactus plant is a very robust plant.
I lost one of similar age last year. It was a vicious beast with hooked spines on it that were so sharp that when it was much smaller a fly impaled itself right through the body. In later years, if I had to move it, I wore a heavy coat, very thick gloves and safety goggles. I can imagine that if something like a sheep fell into a clump of them, it would starve to death as even one spine was enough to keep something in place, let alone 1000's of them.

I think it was one of these:

Closeup of spines of Fish Hook Barrel Cactus, Ferocactus peninsulae. Spines are modified leaves adapted for protection. Sonoran Desert, Arizona. USA

That's one prickly robust pinky flowered thingie!!!
Not as prickly as the one above but you wouldn't want to lie on it.
Wow!, Big cactus, I can never get them to grow like that, let alone flower... :D
Mamillaria flower quite regularly and are not hard to grow. Water and feed every three to four weeks in the summer and not after September as you don't want it to go into winter with wet roots. Once large enough, plant in a heavy clay pot and John Innes Number 3 and that should do for it for good.
Wow, what a cactus!
Very robust and obviously doing very well.
Thank you, it is doing very well.
I really like this shot, you have chosen a good pov to shoot them from, rather than the more usual side on. Works well.
TBH, it had to be from this angle as my knees don't let me get down that far (I keep it on the ground).

Last edited:
Fragile... I like the social documentary element of this one.
Robust... that's quite a cactus with lovely colour.

Nearby

I was going over my cherry trees searching out greenfly when I came across these weird little eggs 'nearby'. A quick image put through one of these wonderful phone thingies revealed that these are shield bug eggs. After what I have read about them, the leaf they are on will be carefully placed in my wild-flower meadow for them to hatch out an continue theirs lives.

Nearby by Martin H, on Flickr

Back