Shiny's 2023 52 Thread

Nice one Martin. At close range there's no chance of getting both wing tips in focus at that angle. Even square on it'd be F/16 at least.

Cracking shot Martin. DOF may be tiny, but you've done all you can to maximize it with the f11 and resultant necessary high ISO (which hasn't hurt the image at all).

There is detail in the hair on the body even at the 1024 resolution, bet the hi-res version is even better. Nice one!

I was going to say the same thing (ish) ;)

Makes me want to get out a comb and tidy it up a bit.

Lovely shot

That's a beautiful close-up Martin, I usually spot something like this, spend time digging out my camera and go to focus...on an empty leaf...

Window

Just a PABD so as to keep up. It's one of my dogs in her usual position, watching the world go by; really must fill that crack in the wall.

Window by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Abandoned machinery on Cardon Hill. There is a lot of this sort of stuff knocking around up there as Caradon Hill was heavily mined at end of the 19th/early 20th century. Mine shafts open up at random so best to steer clear of any depression in the ground as you never know if it's just a few bits of rotten oak separating you from oblivion.

Abandoned by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

Yep - that works a treat :)

Love the dog, and abandoned too - super clear water with the green plantlife growing around the machinery showing how long its been underwater for. Great interest in the herringbone gears too.

Love the dog, and abandoned too - super clear water with the green plantlife growing around the machinery showing how long its been underwater for. Great interest in the herringbone gears too.

It might have been there since mining was abandoned on Caradon Hill, which was at the end of the nineteenth century, start of the twentieth but it could also have been used when they first started extracting granite blocks, but I have no idea when that was, Either way, it's very, very old.

Window.. great spot for a guard dog.
Abandoned.. nice shot for the theme and lovely tones. Doesn't sound like the safest place to walk.

Possession -- taken today in Plymouth. Not my dog but he is very old and rather cute...and possesses a ball.

Possession by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

Lovely shot of a gorgeous dog Martin. Dog showing their age, and signs of a good walk in damp grass, but also really happy to be holding their ball.

Good control of your settings at 600mm to produce a really good, sharp image.

Lovely shot of a gorgeous dog Martin. Dog showing their age, and signs of a good walk in damp grass, but also really happy to be holding their ball.

Good control of your settings at 600mm to produce a really good, sharp image.
He is very sweet, isn't he?

Fab pooch pic :)

Abandoned works well, certainyl right on theme.
Gorgeous shepherd too, looks like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth.

The abandoned gears are half-submerged in an abandoned quarry pool. Although it doesn't look very deep in the picture, most of it to the left is much deeper and despite the crystal clear water, it's not possible to guess how deep it is, all I know it is rumoured to be very deep.

I don't think that I'd be wanting to fight him for the ball if he didn't want to give it up...

It's mine and I'm not letting you have it! :)
He seemed very content.
Lovely doggy shot and nicely framed. That's definitely his ball!
He was a very soggy doggy, had been swimming in the River Plym
Thank you, the abandoned location is a little suntrap and the sun shines right into the quarry pool in the late evening

I don't think that I'd be wanting to fight him for the ball if he didn't want to give it up...
He didn't seem too perturbed about people being near him, but then he was so wet and soggy, I thought I'll not try to touch him (I expect he was more than a little smelly ;))

Circles, just that really. Shame the very top is cut off but millimetres above the mirrors is the sky, and including the very top would mean including a very thin line of bright but featureless sky that I can't get rid of.

Circles by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

Last edited:
Well, it hasn't been stolen....

I might have cropped it to avoid the Mercedes distraction?

It's a crime to let your work van end up like this, well spotted.
I think it hasn't been used in a very long time. Considering where it is, I'm surprised all the windows are still there (East Kent).
Well, it hasn't been stolen....

I might have cropped it to avoid the Mercedes distraction?
I agree, although it's weird, until you mentioned it, I hadn't even seen the Mercedes. I wanted to get rid of the street furniture as well but it wasn't possible.

Love the circles image - I thought it was sunnies when I first saw it.
Circles, just that really. Shame the very top is cut off but millimetres above the mirrors is the sky, and including the very top would mean including a very thin line of bright but featureless sky that I can't get rid of.

You say that, but generative expand...

53156055120_6fd6519477_o copy.jpg

Two great shots Martin, I don't mind the slight cut off top of the circles shot and your snappers shot would have been a great choice for the abandoned theme.

Circles works for me. It looks like a huge pair of glasses.
Snappers... don't think i would be giving them a call anytime soon :)

nice circles and good to something different, generative fill is witch craft

Last edited:
Urban Sprawl -- it doesn't look like a 'sprawl' but if you draw a line down from the wind turbine past the sheep's arse, almost everything to the right of it, apart from the industrial units at the back, has been built in the last five years.

UrbanSprawl by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

Hollow. A mine engine house that, along with a myriad of others on Caradon Hill, has been gutted, leaving just a hollow shell. Usually, inside, there is a void in the ground that would have held a lift engine of some description.

Hollow by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

Solid. The cables are attached to a solid concrete base and from there go up to hold up the Caradon TV mast, which is 278 metres high. There are several more of these anchors and since the winds up here can hit 80mph they do a fine job.

Solid by Martin Baxter, on Flickr

Urban - I like the sheep as contrast and it gives a sense of scale. Well shot.
Hollow - interesting building. A good sky and texture in the stone - not sure about the bush in the foreground. Could you have shot in front of it?
Solid - Nice dof.

Back