Beginner Shooting a Charity Event

Edit My Images
No
The tog at a local charity club asked me to step in for him to shoot a dinner dance this weekend. Couldn't really say no,

There will be about 150 people with a head table, a live band, and dance floor. I need to get shots of the proceedings, shots of the band and dance floor, and ideally end up with a shot of everyone in attendance.

I have never considered doing something like this and I want to do it well. But I'm clueless on how to go approach it. Any advice or tips would be welcomed.

Thank you,

Arthur

Canon D6 MII
24-70 1:2.8
50mm prime
75-300 zoom
tripod

EDIT: newly acquired Godox V860

Last edited:
these events are not easy, having a plan on how you intend to get the photos is key, but be prepared for changes in the event running order this will happen, knowing your equipment is probably the most important thing. lighting is most likely to be low.
if you are doing it , inform them that you are new to it , so they know what to expect

I would reach for the 24-70 f/2.8 first and the prime second. I'd not bother with tripod. Flash would be useful - so if you plan to buy one do so - but you've got very little time to get some practice. Shoot RAW as it gives leeway for recovery.

Seek as much advice from the existing venue photographer if they have done this event before.

Explain to everyone that this is a first time. Better to over delivery against expectations than the other way round. Is it possibly to recce the venue beforehand, or are you familiar with the location?

Last edited:
Ignore the naysayers that’s a p*** easy gig to shoot. You will need a flash.

Use the 24-70 with the flash, try and bounce it if possible or use some sort of diffuser. Mix it up a bit for the dance floor by dragging the shutter a few times. Job done.

If you need shots of everyone in attendance do a photo rush on the dance floor before the dancing starts. 15 groups of 10 will cover everyone and can be done photo rush style in about 10 minutes. The crowd will enjoy it as well. Bit of craic.

Last edited:
I’m on the fence here.

It really is the easiest ‘gig’ in the world. There’s next to no creativity involved, the images will be at best ‘meh’.

However; that also relies on a small amount of experience. On camera bounced flash is a piece of cake, that lots of people try once and give up cos it’s ‘awful’, or impossible to make look decent, but for event photographers it’s simple to the point of instinctive.

The best thing you can do is talk to the guy who normally does it (if at all possible). My guess is that in half an hour he can tell you exactly what to do and remove all doubt.

You want to know:
Do they expect formal posed images
Is there entertainment to shoot

Any other ‘mini events’ need covering (presentations etc).

I think it's great that you have been asked, everyone has to start somewhere and at least you will know some of the people, I remember shooting my first wedding, christening and birthday for my first paid shots ,it was scary but you forget about nerves when you are behind the camera, good luck and you will gain good experience too

RAW, Tv at 1/200sec, f4, AutoISO, Bounce flash in ETTL. Enjoy and mix.

Last edited:
Thanks for tips everyone.

The main concern for me is effective use of the flash. I picked up a Godox V860 this afternoon. Obviously, I'll need to do some homework with it. Worst case I'll just shoot TTL all night. Unfortunately, the shop didn't have a diffuser in stock. >This question will make some people cringe; How well would a white handkerchief work?

As a member of the organization, I will know at least half of the people there, and I know the venue well. There really isn't too much pressure to get perfect shots. I'll have a phone call with the tog before the event to see what he wants. This is a very friendly group and the bartenders aren't stingy. I just want to do the best I can.

Been doing some homework. YouTube is mostly garbage, but there are a few good vids available.

The room has a 3m drop ceiling with off-white tiles. I assume this will work well for a bounced flash?

With full auto and bounced flash with TTL, hopefully I'll will get some acceptable pics of the presenters. There should be enough time to try shutter priority and manual as well. After that I'll have all night to work the crowd and try different settings. I'm feeling a bit less intimidated.

Fortunately, the tog can meet there on Friday night to go over what is expected. That should help tremendously.

Last edited:
RAW, Tv at 1/200sec, f4, AutoISO, Bounce flash in ETTL. Enjoy and mix.

I just re-read this and a light clicked on. I understand what ISO does but I haven't really gotten into how to use it.

Didn't realize you could use Auto ISO in the manual mode.

Thank you! This is good to know.

Last edited:
I just re-read this and a light clicked on. I understand what ISO does but I haven't really gotten into how to use it.

Didn't realize you could use Auto ISO in the manual mode.

Thank you! This is good to know.
I wouldn’t use those settings.

But horses for courses.

If the ceiling is off white you'll get a colour cast, it probably wont be a big deal but expect it.
Charities are business, big business! The average charity CEO trousers over a 140k a year. They can afford to pay for services, and should.
I'd be tempted to try F4, 125 sec, manual mode with the flash in ETTL 400iso. Then ajust up or down the flash power as needed. That should get you in the general area.
Be aware once you do this for nothing they'll probably take the micky and have you doing everything. But thats your choice.

Charities are business, big business! The average charity CEO trousers over a 140k a year. They can afford to pay for services, and should.

This organization isn't setup like that. There is a small paid staff for the bar, kitchen, and cleaning. Everyone else, from the big kahuna down to peons like me, are volunteers. This includes the "staff" photographer. The charity supports veterans, children with challenges, and provides scholarships based on need. I think most of the members would rather see a kid get shoes than have a pretty picture of themselves. It's a good group of people.

Be aware that an increase in ISO will increase the effective range of the flash.
Flash covers by distance, not by area, so something closer will be brighter if your focal point is further back.
For a more detailed understanding, have a look at the inverse square law.
As I say, enjoy the event.

I don't know your skills and style but whenever I'm faced with something outside my comfort zone I do everything I can to minimize the unknowns and take control of the shoot. That can mean binning the elements I'm not happy with and doing the stuff I do well. Or it might mean doing lots of practice.

What's more important? Getting photos of the proceedings or getting at least one usable pic of everyone present?

If the latter: I'd set up a mini studio & get everyone into it in turn. Settings remain constant, no-one gets missed, only one thing to practice.

The band stuff will be fairly straightforward. Go manual, crank up the ISO and have fun. You'll get at least a few usable pics and it won't matter if you don't get lots.

The other stuff could be challenging without any experience. I'd suggest avoiding committing to those elements.

If the ceiling is off white you'll get a colour cast, it probably wont be a big deal but expect it.
I'd be tempted to try F4, 125 sec, manual mode with the flash in ETTL 400iso. Then ajust up or down the flash power as needed. That should get you in the general area.
Be aware once you do this for nothing they'll probably take the micky and have you doing everything. But thats your choice.
This organization isn't setup like that. There is a small paid staff for the bar, kitchen, and cleaning. Everyone else, from the big kahuna down to peons like me, are volunteers. This includes the "staff" photographer. The charity supports veterans, children with challenges, and provides scholarships based on need. I think most of the members would rather see a kid get shoes than have a pretty picture of themselves. It's a good group of people.
Yes, charities vary, enormously, but most are run as businesses, whatever they may say to the contrary. Look them up on the charity commission website https://www.gov.uk/find-charity-information to check their finances, which may surprise you.

In technical terms, this should be a very easy gig, it will bring you useful experience and there's no real downside, as you're not being paid and because of this, expectations should be low, but there's another factor that nobody seems to have mentioned - up to a point, with some of the shots you'll just be photographing what's there, but you'll also need to be assertive and you'll need to control people, and this is more important than your expertise with a camera - does your personality and experience equip you to do this?

Well, the event is done and dusted. Considering this was the first time using a speedlight, I think I did OK. The portrait-type shots were solid, the action-type not so much. The mistake I made was using back button focus all night. I should have used shutter button focus for the action shots.

The biggest disappointment was not getting better shots of the surprise entertainment; a cross-dressing Cher impersonator. She was fabulous. This is where using back button focus really bit me. On the other hand, some of the portraits came out great.

Overall, I'd give myself grade of C. I enjoyed the experience and learned quite a bit along the way. I became comfortable enough with the situation to shoot in manual or AE most of the night.

Again, thanks for all the tips.

Congratulations I’m glad it worked out

I'm glad it worked out for you.

Just one question, how did BBF negatively impact? It always works for me.

I have covered a few fund-raising dinners, Burns supper and the life for a charity here in Scotland. Sis in law was the CEO. It started as just being one of the guests who brought his camera. Next thing sis in law and a couple of her colleagues were asking if they could use my pictures in their social media campaigns, literature etc, as they felt they were better than what they had paid an events photography company for. (said company is really an agency who takes money from clients and gives photography students a pittance to shoot their events, 'for experience', so the output is variable). Anyway, that snowballed and I now cover them for a small fee plus an invite to said event for me and the wife. Usually get a decent dinner out of it, plus have some fun. I try to use the available light as much as I can, most of these venues are quite nicely lit. For anything with any formality I'm more careful. Flashgun bounced with either the catchlight card popped up or a second gun for a bit of fill.
Establing shots are important, the venue, perhaps a banner or whatever is up.
Details shots, menus, programme, tables laid etc.
These can be great fun and once you get confident, they're relatively straightforward.

. The mistake I made was using back button focus all night. I should have used shutter button focus for the action shots.

Yet BBF is the goto for action shots.. :)

The point of back button focus is that you use it to keep the auto focus working and only press the shutter button when you want to take pictures. Practice with it, it’s a very useful technique.

I'm not sure I that I understand this. Could you please elaborate?

I and most other action photogrpahers prefer BBF as it helps to get the shot ..Its considered the best setting for action.. so it was a little surprising to see your comment "The mistake I made was using back button focus all night. I should have used shutter button focus for the action shots"

I and most other action photogrpahers prefer BBF as it helps to get the shot ..Its considered the best setting for action.. so it was a little surprising to see your comment "The mistake I made was using back button focus all night. I should have used shutter button focus for the action shots"

Below is an example of one I got wrong. (poor framing aside) The 6 foot tall Cher impersonator was sashaying towards me. This is the last of a series of consecutive shots I made without refocusing. Had I been using SBF this one would likely be in focus.

cher1.jpg

Last edited:
The point of back button focus is that you use it to keep the auto focus working and only press the shutter button when you want to take pictures. Practice with it, it’s a very useful technique.

You're saying keep BBF engaged while shooting?

Below is an example of one I got wrong. (poor framing aside) The 6 foot tall Cher impersonator was sashaying towards me. This is the last of a series of consecutive shots I made without refocusing. Had I been using SBF this one would likely be in focus.

View attachment 420232
And if you’d been using BBF ‘properly’ it would have been in focus too.

It’s not the technique’s fault that you failed to use it.

You're saying keep BBF engaged while shooting?
Yes
The whole point of BBF is that it’s effectively dynamic by nature.

For still subjects it’s great as it allows focus recompose without concern the camera will refocus. And for moving subjects it just keeps tracking.

Back