Shooting exclusively film

Medium format cameras are very different, but at the end of the day it really is just a bigger format delivering a bigger negative. A much more enjoyable format over 35mm for me - my preference is small format for digital, and medium format for film. Best of both worlds.

Medium format cameras are very different, but at the end of the day it really is just a bigger format delivering a bigger negative. A much more enjoyable format over 35mm for me - my preference is small format for digital, and medium format for film. Best of both worlds.

Yeah, we experimented a little with Medium Format cameras, learning the theory
& how to use one but I never got the opportunity to shoot with one personally. It's
something I've always wanted to get involved in tho, I've heard a lot of people say
they prefer it to 35mm. I'd love to have a larger negative to work with when burning
in & dodging.

Huge resurrect here! Inspired by a visit to Dave Hill's 35mm portfolio a dusty d700 and digital kit. Been thinking about doing this since i started this thread!

If England get through tonight.. f it.. I'm selling off the digital and going film.

You have a handy place to have your film developed in Wandsworth common..... Genie Imaging.

Last edited:
You have a handy place to have your film developed in Wandsworth common, erm used to be cheap but now have doubled their prices and wouldn't now recommend them on the bargain list...it was Genie Imaging.

Gave me a heart attack - for develop only it was £1.99 and now it is £2.29 (both excluding VAT). So an actual price increase of 36p? :shrug:

Unless you mean develop + scan/print, which is something I never did.

I definitely enjoy film more than digital, but personally I don't feel as though I could live without digital... and tbh, that doesn't bother me. I get a far better shot:winner ratio with film, and that's what makes me happy :)

IMHO digital is a convenient evil that sadly won't go away...

20 or so years ago when I started playing with SLR cameras I was way too young and stupid to embrace MF...maybe I discounted it because I could not afford it at the time...

I did, however, burn thousands of rolls of 35 and have a great love for film. I PROBABLY would not move away from digital for many reasons but enjoy shooting my Mamiya 645 far more than my 5D III.

TO ME it is all about photography in it's purest form...specific tools for specific jobs...but that is it!

Digital has benefits and less desired qualities...so does film. Know them both intimately to know which one to pick for what task.

BUT have a blast doing it!

I don't shoot exclusively film, but I do enjoy it more than digital I have to say :)

I am in my very early days of shooting film (Hell, early days of digital too! Only started in December last year!), but I am learning relatively fast and I am buying new equipment all the time (Next purchase shall be a Ricoh GR1v for my street photography).

Currently have 3 35mm SLR camera's and just 1 digital SLR :)

I think digital and film both have their place.

I learnt to shoot manual and the basics of exposure on digital and then got into film. Since then my DSLR has been largely neglected, but I won't get rid of it as it still has it's place.

I'm a film addict and that's what I love, but I recently picked up a Canon S95 as a backup and compact film camera for carrying with me day to day, and take the odd snap even with a camera phone when the situation calls for it.

Digital is great for those days when you know you want to snap hundreds of picks and get fast moving action or shoot bright and colourful things. Also great for quick results and fo0r experimentation and trying new techniques - such as painting with light.

MindofMel said:
Drooling at the f1.2 at f1.4 lenses muhahhaha

Tell me about it o_O
#one drooler f/1.2 & f/1.4 here!
Altho I'm currently after a 135mm f/2.8 for my film SLR at the moment! Try something new :} best wishes with the exclusively film exploration!

Up to a few years ago,was shooting about 50/50,then my F5 bit the dust,then 100% digtal,but since brought an FM-2 & F100,and hoping to get shoot some film soon :)

As I have now sold my D700 I guess I shoot only film as my only means of shooting digital is an iphone 4s now and it's extremely fiddly to actually take pictures with!
There is of course the cost of buying film and having it developed but I shoot far less on film, probably only 1 or 2 rolls for a whole day trip shooting compared with about 600 shots with the D700.
I definitely prefer film equipment as it's far lighter than digital for 35mm - the D700 felt like a real brick compared with the Pentax MX. Also like the way the equipment is so much more simple to use, with only just the controls you actually NEED - no complex menus, LCD readouts etc

As I have now sold my D700 I guess I shoot only film as my only means of shooting digital is an iphone 4s now and it's extremely fiddly to actually take pictures with!
There is of course the cost of buying film and having it developed but I shoot far less on film, probably only 1 or 2 rolls for a whole day trip shooting compared with about 600 shots with the D700.
I definitely prefer film equipment as it's far lighter than digital for 35mm - the D700 felt like a real brick compared with the Pentax MX. Also like the way the equipment is so much more simple to use, with only just the controls you actually NEED - no complex menus, LCD readouts etc

(y)

Tell me about it o_O
Altho I'm currently after a 135mm f/2.8 for my film SLR at the moment! Try something new :} best wishes with the exclusively film exploration!

they are quite plentyfull - so dont get tempted to pay too much.

Check out what adapters you can use with your camera too (y)

Tell me about it o_O

Your slr is a k-mount one, isn't it? If so, don't discount the Pentax m135 f3.5 lenses - they are cheaper then the 2.8s, not much slower and really nice to use :)

Your slr is a k-mount one, isn't it? If so, don't discount the Pentax m135 f3.5 lenses - they are cheaper then the 2.8s, not much slower and really nice to use :)
or with the EOS mount and adapter, you can get 'nearly' any lens to fit (y)

Ahh, but what forum are we in, and what is the 5D Mk2? :):D

We are in the film ' lens' forum (y)
good advice is surely welcome, wherever it is presented ?

Agreed - wrong questions are not welcome - but that doesn't hold here

(y)
:)

JCoquillon said:
I think digital and film both have their place.

I learnt to shoot manual and the basics of exposure on digital and then got into film. Since then my DSLR has been largely neglected, but I won't get rid of it as it still has it's place.

Couldn't have put it better myself (and, quite seriously, I had to check because I definitely wrote something near identical to this a few months back!).

I'm with Jim on this one, digital for wildlife and film for most other things.

And yes, another film meet would be an excellent idea. (y)

Andy

I'm with Jim & Andy on this as well. Use digital for wildlife and all other forms film. Not yet entered the world of medium format myself still 35mm.

I'm with Jim & Andy on this as well. Use digital for wildlife and all other forms film. Not yet entered the world of medium format myself still 35mm.

...and for snaps for stuff to show here or ebay, a digital is handy...it's the only time my Sony P92 gets a work out :LOL:

The only thing for me is,i like to shoot colur,and my kodachrome 64 is now gone
There's a fair few of us mourning that particular passing...

For those of you Kodachrome devotees who does from time to time use digital - there may be hope. The RPP does support true film profiles and has Kodachrome 64 profile in there. Unlike any other film look emulators out there its approach is somewhat unique - the film profiles are measured from real developed films and preserve their colour characteritics (the authors describe process of profiling that takes quite some time somewhere on one of the russian livejournal websites).

The RPP's Kodachrome 64 profile is so good that I now use it by default with everything as a starting point (y)

Last edited:
For those of you Kodachrome devotees who does from time to time use digital - there may be hope. The RPP does support true film profiles and has Kodachrome 64 profile in there. Unlike any other film look emulators out there its approach is somewhat unique - the film profiles are measured from real developed films and preserve their colour characteritics (the authors describe process of profiling that takes quite some time somewhere on one of the russian livejournal websites).

The RPP's Kodachrome 64 profile is so good that I now use it by default with everything as a starting point (y)

Looks like a very nice bit of software. Shame it's mac only :shake:

Looks like a very nice bit of software. Shame it's mac only :shake:

There is a reason for that as well - they found that almost all colour management engines (the Windows, the Adobe one) are adding quite a bit of noise and colour shifts when converting the image (for display, to camera profile, using film profile or to output RGB space). The Apple ColorSync however is performing a lot better and leaves the others behind.

Writing all the colour transformation operations from scratch is a mammoth task and not something the RPP developers can handle at the moment - hence the choice of MacOS as platform. It is actually like this - RPP was designed to give the best possible quality out of RAW files and the platform in this case actually part of the solution.

There is a reason for that as well - they found that almost all colour management engines (the Windows, the Adobe one) are adding quite a bit of noise and colour shifts when converting the image (for display, to camera profile, using film profile or to output RGB space). The Apple ColorSync however is performing a lot better and leaves the others behind.

Writing all the colour transformation operations from scratch is a mammoth task and not something the RPP developers can handle at the moment - hence the choice of MacOS as platform. It is actually like this - RPP was designed to give the best possible quality out of RAW files and the platform in this case actually part of the solution.

Still doesn't help if you don't have (and can't afford) a mac, though, does it?

Still doesn't help if you don't have (and can't afford) a mac, though, does it?

I know - just explaining why they did it. I used iBoot to install MacOSX on PC - Snow Leopard can be bought in any Apple store and is cheap. Works faster that stock Macs.

I use a changing bag and a sink - that's really all you need for developing.

Can you point me in the way of a walkthrough/guide on this method. Just picked up a Fujica ST705 and would love to run some B&W film through it.

Back