Shooting people/groups of people quickly

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I have a couple of family events coming up soon and I've been tasked with taking the pics. My previous experience of these sorts of events is that the subject(s) don't want to hang around while I locate my focusing point etc.

So a general question to all is how best can I overcome this situation, maybe use just a centred focusing point? Also the lighting where I am going to be will fluctuate quite a lot. So can anyone possibly suggest a few settings which I can just stick to and then post process the pics at a later date?

Has the 5diii got A-DEP mode on the dial? I you're not confident that would be the quickest mode if you can't get folk to hang around. If not, it's time to get the DOF tables out and pick an aperture for your focal length that gives you enough depth of field plus leeway (and use TV with auto ISO). And this will vary with focal length, and you don't specify the lens you will be using. And shoot raw.

Not sure if 5d has that button will check when back home tonight will only be using the 24-70. Thank you for the advice.

Correction, Av with auto-ISO.

That's what happens when you reply before coffee in the morning..

Yeah, as Mark said - surely selecting the focus points takes about 1/2 a second using the rear joystick.

Shoot RAW if light sources are variable, auto ISO and AV...

I do have the focus point set to be selected of the rear joystick but takes me bit longer than 1/2 sec to select probably just me being slow and maybe a bit anxious. :(

Not sure if it has it on the 5Dm3, but the 7D also has a feature which moves the focus-points if you move the camera orientation, e.g. if you select the furthest left focus point shooting in landscape orientation, then rotate to portrait, it changes the active focus point to the "top" one, so you don't have to move it manually...

Honestly, the quickest part about shooting a large group is the focussing / metering.

Use centre focus point, enough DoF for front to back focus and the metering should be a piece of cake, as you're filling the frame with a subject in the same light.

The difficult thing is arranging the group in the right light with a pleasant enough background.

The key to that is: find your location (looks nice and in the right light) and build your group there. If you're alone use a tripod to give them an idea of where the 'photographer' will be. This can be akin to herding cats. The way to keep them from losing interest is to entertain them throughout this process, keep talking and engage with them.

Like I said - shooting it is the easy bit.

If you're alone use a tripod to give them an idea of where the 'photographer' will be. This can be akin to herding cats. The way to keep them from losing interest is to entertain them throughout this process, keep talking and engage with them.

Like I said - shooting it is the easy bit.

This is something that I think is often overlooked... You may not need a tripod to take the shot (flash and shutter speed etc are perfectly ok for the shot to be taken handheld) but it can help :D

Actually, you could have the tripod just standing there and shooting handheld could still be easier :D

Last edited:
Plus, when they inevitably start ignoring your instructions and wandering about like zombies, the tripod can be an extremely versatile weapon.

I believe the tool of choice was an MG-42...

I cannot be held responsible for occurrences like that! Glad mine isn't the only sick SoH!!!

The Victorian photographers might have been on to something with these kinds of contraptions:-
article-0-173B560F000005DC-696_966x671.jpg

dag4clamp.jpg

As said, for set posed photo's, put your time into setting the stage; use chairs, rugs, whatever to define the space you want to put in frame and where people will belong in it.

Think of the annual school photo's.... snapper set it all up, frames it, focused it, then ran the kids through the set on a production line basis until they were all done; 30 seconds a shot.

Its ALL in the preparation.

Back