Shooting the Red Arrows tomorrow....

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
Yes
Any tips?

I'm shooting a big event tomorrow for the Red Arrows in Abu Dhabi and I wondered if anyone had any useful tips for shooting the display? I'll be shooting candids of the event, team debrief etc but the display itself will be a new one for me.

I'll be using a pair of D750's with 24-70 and 70-200 2.8's. I would have liked something longer but the client doesn't want close-ups of planes so it wasn't really worth hiring one.

TIA

They'll want typically wider shots for the team stuff (in the air) showing the surroundings, people and landmarks. I'm not sure where you'll be places - are you down on the corniche or have you been provided with a higher vantage point? The 70-200 will be perfectly adequate.

Try and get photos with the key towers along the corniche in the background, always incorporate the smoke, where possible, and get shots of people taking photos of the jets - backs of camera phones are a popular shot for the team, especially if you can get a lady in an abaya (from the back) or men in kandoora. They want photos of the planes in the surroundings, rather than just the planes.

Have you got a circular polariser? It's still hella-hazy, so I'd definitely recommend it to try and cut a bit of the haze, boost the contrast and saturation.

They'll want typically wider shots for the team stuff (in the air) showing the surroundings, people and landmarks. I'm not sure where you'll be places - are you down on the corniche or have you been provided with a higher vantage point? The 70-200 will be perfectly adequate.

Try and get photos with the key towers along the corniche in the background, always incorporate the smoke, where possible, and get shots of people taking photos of the jets - backs of camera phones are a popular shot for the team, especially if you can get a lady in an abaya (from the back) or men in kandoora. They want photos of the planes in the surroundings, rather than just the planes.

Have you got a circular polariser? It's still hella-hazy, so I'd definitely recommend it to try and cut a bit of the haze, boost the contrast and saturation.

Bloody hell David, I was just looking at your GPP course :D

I'll be shooting from the terrace of the St Regis at the end of the corniche. That gives me a good view of the display, corniche, Emirates Palace and Marina Mall. It's also where the squadron leader is giving a commentary so there's photo opps there too. I am hoping for some locals but I'll just have to wait and see.

Good tip on the CPL. I haven't got one but I can pick one up easy enough tomorrow.

I don't know the St Regis, apart from Saadiyat Island, but I'm sure there'll be good skyline views.

If you want a discount on the course, happy to oblige, or if you know anyone else interested in attending.

I should be running one at Yas in the new year - not official/confirmed yet but a much nicer place than Dubai to shoot.

Back