Shooting through the fence

Name
AliWELLS1
Edit My Images
No
Hi, I went to the Thundersport GB event yesterday at Donington Park and received some great and clear images. Most of these good images were shot through the fence at places such as Craner Curves and the Old Hairpin. But on the images from the Roberts chicane there are faint grey highlights from the fence across the image, even though I was the same distance away from the fence as at the other locations where I was getting clear shots. With me heading to the BSB test day this coming Thursday I was wondering if there is anyway to change this as I want better images for Thursday.

Cheers, Alistair

Was the sun behind you? That is a great way of picking up unwanted fence detail. Did your aperture change? That may have also contributed.

Ideally it's best to be as close to fence as possible, with as much reach as possible and using the widest aperture possible - that would be the ideal. As jurbie says the sun can reflect and make it more noticeable so overcast is quite good or find a spot where the fence is in shadow. Quite a few places at Donny you can see over the top of the fence or there is no fence (especially on inside of circuit) so worth having a wander if you haven't already. Enjoy the test!

The fence part of the fence can have its affect reduced with a larger aperture and by getting closer to the fence, especially when panning. The heavy support wires usually run horizontally so leave a long streak, even when panning. As other people have said, light falling on the fence will show up more and will also reduced the contrast in the scene just like flare.

Thank you for the replies. Headed to the test today and managed to find some spots on the outside of the Craner Curves and the Old Hairpin above the fence. There are also some nice areas on the inside of redgate so thanks for that advice! Unfortunately I'm unsure on how to quote someone so please don't think I've ignored you!

Thank you for the replies. Headed to the test today and managed to find some spots on the outside of the Craner Curves and the Old Hairpin above the fence. There are also some nice areas on the inside of redgate so thanks for that advice! Unfortunately I'm unsure on how to quote someone so please don't think I've ignored you!

You press the 'quote' button... ;)

As soon as I said it I saw it. Wooopss

And to quote more than one message, use the + Quote button then follow the instructions.

Back