Short-eared owlet waiting for Dad

Edit My Images
Yes
A first for me photographing one perched, I've seen plenty of young Shortys before, but usually at distance learning to hunt.

Taken after sunset, this one came and landed on the post, getting a better vantage point whilst waiting for its next meal.

Nikon D500, 500pf

Settings were to the extreme, 1/125th, f5.6, ISO 2500, camera rested on a wall, heavy'ish crop

Would it stand brightening up a little? As usual, all C&C welcome, ta

SEOwlet 1024 - 1.jpg

Last edited:
The eyes have it!

Last edited:
Looks fine to me, Phil especially with 2500 ISO. I assume you have Topaz DeNoise A1.

Looks great and it's nice to a youngster

Thanks DD

Looks fine to me, Phil especially with 2500 ISO. I assume you have Topaz DeNoise A1.

Thanks John, no, I don't have Topaz DeNoise.

I work 2 raw files, reducing noise in the bird but keeping as much detail as possible, I try not to go higher than 15 on the slider. Then one for the background, reducing clarity and pushing the slider for NR to around 70. I've seen some great results with Topaz and been tempted to buy it but for now, my workflow seems to do a similar job, cheers

Very nice.

Did you try a portrait crop at all?

Thanks Wez, I'm not a fan of portrait crops for BOP, I have this stupid idea in me head it should be saved for captive birds only :rolleyes: :LOL:

Love that Phil, if you were to brighten it, it would look false because the eyes give a clue to the light at the time

Mike

Cheers Mike

Very nice looking great as it is

Thanks Kevin

Thanks all, comments and thoughts much appreciated (y)

Back