Short-eared owls in flight

Name
Clare
Edit My Images
Yes
Here are some in flight Short-eared Owl shot from today:)

p85390016-4.jpg

p358181801-4.jpg

p497166724-4.jpg

p196421497-4.jpg

WOW!!

#2 blew me away,bloody fantastic.

Great pics,hope you don,t mind me asking i,m a beginner and would like to know what type of lens and what settings camera would have to be on, to get a picture anywhere near these.Would be greatful for any info thanks

Lovely captures Clare, must admit when I looked at #1 I had to scratch my head to fathom out what position you were in when you took it ;) The angle of it almost looks like you fell over and caught it on your way down :)

must admit when I looked at #1 I had to scratch my head to fathom out what position you were in when you took it The angle of it almost looks like you fell over and caught it on your way down

Lol, he was flying down a drain hunting, I was standing on the road at the side of the drain :)

hope you don,t mind me asking i,m a beginner and would like to know what type of lens and what settings camera would have to be on, to get a picture anywhere near these.Would be greatful for any info thanks

I use a Canon 7d and i used my Canon 500mm f4 lens, ISO 800, AI servo focus, AV, f7.1 and f6.3 which gave a shutter speed of between 1/400 and 1/800, I would have liked it faster but the conditions were quite dull

These are superb.............I've never even seen one of these in the wild(y)

Well done.....and thanks for sharing:clap:

Great set of pics there. have been trying all week to get some good pics my self of one of these at salthomes.. but no luck as yet... well done :)

All of those shots are beautiful with 2, 3 and 4 being particularly so, for some reason though even knowing the angle and background in the first my head still can't make sense of it.

All of those shots are beautiful with 2, 3 and 4 being particularly so, for some reason though even knowing the angle and background in the first my head still can't make sense of it.

I think we're looking down at it aren't we - with a drainage ditch of water behind ?

Amazing set !

wowza they are tad special :clap:

Absolutely brilliant #2 especially

I love these. I normally mess up my in flight bird pics, they usually come out with the bird being like a silhouette. Anyone know why ? Would it be my metering ? Ive had it mentioned that I might need to use spot metering instead of matrix ??

never been in the bird section... but the own bit pulled me in. these are some beautiful pictures. never really appriciated wildlife too much. fantastic!

Originally Posted by MarkEvan View Post

I think we're looking down at it aren't we - with a drainage ditch of water behind ?

Yes dinners, It was a drainage ditch where he was hunting and I was standing on the road so I was above the owl :)

Back