Short notice mini meet oop North - Pictures added

Got the negs back today. Canon EOS 30, 28-135 IS lens, Kodak Ektar 100 and Kodak Gold 200.

Polishing the brass.

Polishing by J White, on Flickr

Waited ages for this shot without people standing in front of it!

Dreadnaught by J White, on Flickr

Don't frighten the horses

Gallopers by J White, on Flickr

Ferguson tractor

TE20 by J White, on Flickr

Classic Vauxhall

Vauxhall by J White, on Flickr

Model boat

Ship by J White, on Flickr

Model animals

Animals by J White, on Flickr

But the stars of the show were definitely the traction engines.

Iron Duke by J White, on Flickr

Like those Julian :)

Better late than never, just a few to prove I was there - held over developing and scanning until I got new batteries for the Pentax *ist and finished films in that and the Olympus 35DC (which did a great job as a standby) - minimal edits for colour and levels - may be able to polish them a bit.

Last shot before the batteries went in the *ist ... Hmm think @Mr Badger was standing to my right.

Astle Park 11 Aug 2018
by David M Bloor, on Flickr

and then the hordes descended and this was with the 35DC - what the heck was I focussing on ?

Astle Park 11 Aug 2018

The continuous focus on the *ist did work right up to the end - shame my shutter finger was a second too slow

Astle Park 11 Aug 2018

A purring (loudly) CAT - 35DC

Astle Park 11 Aug 2018

Smile please - 35DC

Astle Park 11 Aug 2018

OK what are these carved from @simon ess ? It ain't driftwood - 35DC

Astle Park 11 Aug 2018

Last edited:
Apparently it's parasite wood. A Google search should come up with some details as it doesn't seem to be on Wikipedia.
Just found that too.

Parasite wood carvings from Bali and Indonesia. The unusual flared wood rose or gall is an imprint (cast) of the haustorial attachment of a tropical mistletoe. This placenta-like outgrowth is where the host tree supported the large, domelike absorptive organ of the mistletoe. In parasite wood carvings from Indonesia, the host wood is often the chinaberry tree (Melia azedarach) of the mahogany family (Meliaceae), although other woods, such as acacia and mango, are also used.

Last edited:
Well, you THINK you studied mycology at uni! :wacky: ;)
At least I remembered that part of the course. What I should have recalled was the final year special study I did with Dr David Bellamy on tropical rainforest ecology which included epiphytes and parasites, so at sometime I knew what those knobbly bits of wood were. [emoji189]

I believe they were originally going to do the carving with some Norwegian wood, but they found it contained beatles. :D :coat:

Back