Should i go or should i stay

STARRIDER

In Memoriam
Name
Dave
Edit My Images
No
I am on the verge of changing from Canon to Nikon..i have given it a lot of thought lately and would like to hear from anyone who has made the same change..are you happy you did or maybe you think you made the wrong decision..:crying:..
Get the cookies ready..:D

what do you think you will gain from the change :shrug:

md:shrug:

Im sure when you change then your previous brand will bring out something you wish you had............ and vice versa.

Not sure i will gain much..if anything:shrug:..but just think i need..or want a change..I keep reading good things about the D3..
I am about to buy a new camera anyway..i dunno..help!

Unless you can clearly articulate a reason, then no.

My guess from this thread is that you don't have a clear need.

If you did, you'd know - and just done got on and done without feeling the need to start a thread about it.

Unless you can clearly articulate a reason, then no.

My guess from this thread is that you don't have a clear need.

If you did, you'd know - and just done got on and done without feeling the need to start a thread about it.
just was asking if anyone here had made the change..any regrets etc..
and no, i dont have a need it is more of a want

Change Dave.

And sell me your Canon gear!! :p

PeteMC made the jump from canon to Nikon but I think he got the D700, drop him a PM I am sure he will not mind.

Nigel

Had the same thoughts a couple of weeks ago but then started to think rationally:

1. There are 1000s of CANON pros and 1000s of NIKON pros out there. If one was a clear cut winner over the other, the situation would be totally different.

2. One of CANON or NIKON are always going to be at the top of the game in terms of camera specs. At the moment, the NIKON D3, D3x and D700 seem to be better than any of the equivalent CANON models... but maybe not - depends on who you talk to. Next generation of CANON cameras may/should alter this - but maybe not for long.

3. If you already have a set of CANON lenses (and I have a few EXPENSIVE ones), you are going to lose money on any swap .. and for what benefit IN THE LONG RUN?

4. Look at good photographs taken with CANON tackle by good CANON users - are you achieving this level of quality? If not - aspire to it using the CANON tackle you have!

Alan

What are you not getting now?

Will the change mean you can get it?

How much is any advantage worth to you?

How much is it going to cost you?

If you can't answer the above and know that it's worth it already then I'm afraid the diagnosis is gear envy. :naughty:

I am on the verge of changing from Canon to Nikon..i have given it a lot of thought lately and would like to hear from anyone who has made the same change..are you happy you did or maybe you think you made the wrong decision..:crying:..
Get the cookies ready..:D

Depends how much you have invested in canon equipment. Me personally, 2 bodies, several L series lenses, to change to nikon with similar kit would cost me a fortune even if I got good resale value on my canon kit, rather save up and get a 300mm f2.8 :D

What are you lacking now and what would you be gaining?

Unless you have very specific reasons there's little in your kit that's holding you back. So, I'd work on maximising what you have, especially with new prices going through the roof.

I owned a D200 and wanted full frame, I tried the D3 for a few days and whilst it was a brilliant camera I found it a little too big and too heavy and so returned it, as there were no other options at the time I therefore jumped ship and bought a Canon 5D. I lost a fair bit of money and some great lenses and although I now have some good glass & a 5DMk2 if I was in the same position now I would have bought a D700 which would have suited me perfectly.

So, is there something in the Nikon syatem that you can't get from something within the Canon system? if yes then changing may be your only option, if no then you may save a fair bit of money sticking with the system you have. Your choice I'm afraid and only you will have to live with your decision!

I would say no need definitley (and I'm a Nikon/ D3 man) unless you earn a full on living from phototogging, and have specific needs that you know will be met by switching.

Get the 5D mkII if you fancy a flutter and a new bit o kit buzz would be my suggestion.

What are you lacking now and what would you be gaining?

Unless you have very specific reasons there's little in your kit that's holding you back. So, I'd work on maximising what you have, especially with new prices going through the roof.

Mark Cleghorn manages just fine on a 5D and his stuff is bloomin' amazing. :)

hello starrider,

if you do change, and maybe somewere in your camera bag you find a Canon EF 400mm f2.8, can i baggs it first mate, thats if you sell it on here.

years back i changed from canon eos 1n hs camera's to nikon F4's and F5's, and i still have the scars from kicking myself.
i suppose nothings changed with digital, so i am back with my EOS1d mk2's and 20d.

if you are happy with canon why change and spend a fortune.
stick with canon and buy something you really need and will give you most enjoyment with the system you have.

ps, if you find a ef500mm f4 in that bag, i may even want that.

cheers paul

Thanks for all your input guys...was really helpful..just needed some support in my thinking and will stay as i am..until i get another brainstorm..:wacky:
Sorry to have been a nuisance:nuts:..but we have to ask these things :LOL:
That what TP is for..:D

I think the D3 is a great camera (purely from reviews!) and it would certainly be on my shopping list if I was to get a new camera.

I love the D2Xs but got annoyed at low level light performance at weddings when I did them. Hence the D3 would be great.

Get out there and try the different models before you make a decision.

I have noticed a growing number of Nikon users on the forums. Gaining popularity again.

Why not rent for a week or two before hand it may not be cheap but it's better than selling up spending thousands to find out you've made the wrong choice??

Suggest you get a Leica M8.2 instead. Not much point changing from Canon to Nikon unless you've got a specific problem you're trying to solve.

If you really want to burn some money, get the Leica and 2 or 3 lenses and your craving will be satisfied.

no matter what happens you should do what you want... if you think the change will do something for you then go for it.

Hmmm... the grass is always greener.....................

..............until you get there

My advice on whether you should switch is entirely dependent on whether you will be selling any lenses I want to buy...

*looks at your kit list*

Yea, do it :)

If you think it will make you happy go for it. You`re a long time dead.

Here's a different take on it. Don't think about the camera. Think about the system.

I assume you've got reasons for having each of the lenses you currently own. In which case:
* What would you get to replace your 24-105L? Nikon don't make anything similar.
* What would you get to replace your 17-40L? Nikon don't make anything similar.
* What would you get to replace your 35L? Nikon don't make anything remotely similar.

Back