Should I sell all my gear...

I'm an average photographer (I think), and a terrible guitarist, but I still enjoy both. I've been having lessons for the guitar, but I still suck, but I'm not giving up, as it gives me pleasure.

Looking at your photos, I'm not sure what your aim was in taking the shots? What you see with your eyes may look interesting, bit a camera 'sees' the images very differently, with wide variables depending on the focal length used and aperture. It's a bit like the difference between singing and playing an instrument. When you 'see' it's like being a natural, talented singer, but recreating the same song using a violin would need different skills amd training.

You appreciate photos taken by others, so try looking at the Exif data to see how they took the photo, and study their composition. Then try to recreate the image. That will help you to understand the mechanics behind 'playing the violin'. Then when you gain that understanding, try your own shots by applying that knowledge.

This approach helped me with portraits. The Exif data of the shots with the look I liked all had a wide aperture and long-ish focal length. I could also see they used natural light, perhaps with a reflector.

I tried the same techniques, and liked the results. My photos may still be average, bit I like the results, and so do the subjects.

Just my thoughts anyway.

Peter

I am like you and dislike 95% of the shots I take, I have 5 or 6 photos I have taken on my wall that still make me smile when I look at them. That is all I wanted, I know I will never be A great photographer but as long as now and then I take a great photograph (inmo) I am happy.
This book helped me when I was about to give up
www.amazon.co.uk/Read-This-Want-Great-Photographs/dp/1780673353

I like the way he has written it for everyone.

Thank you all very much, this really helped me understand some things, not so much about photography, but about myself.

I suppose growing older means I need to fight with my complexes and accept reality that in my 40s I will still be at the beginning of something and actually be bad at it, maybe all the time.
Now, I need to get that stick out of my @$$, stop watching the world through those strict rules of thirds, and not think too much from a technical perspective of my gear, then I hope my photos will get better. Or even they do not, I should still enjoy it. :)

Spock-emoji.jpg

My general rule of thumb is, if something catches my eye, it did so for a reason.

:agree:This is generally my philosophy. I remember a few years seeing Scott Kelby give a talk on composition when travelling. He also said that if something catches your eye, then generally there is a picture there, the skill is finding it. Play around with angles, point of view, focal length etc. Sometimes an inch in either direction can be the difference between a good and a great shot

Now you're talking. (y)

My general rule of thumb is, if something catches my eye, it did so for a reason.

Whether or not others like the resulting photo is of no importance whatsoever.

Some examples
https://www.flickr.com/photos/littlechap/albums/72157651117435236

Sometimes I look at one of my pictures and see nothing there, I wonder why I took it and my finger hovers over the delete button... and sometimes I look at the picture a few days later and like it... and a week later I like it even more. In fact some of my favourite pictures are ones I nearly deleted on first seeing it on my screen.

Sometimes I look at one of my pictures and see nothing there, I wonder why I took it and my finger hovers over the delete button... and sometimes I look at the picture a few days later and like it... and a week later I like it even more. In fact some of my favourite pictures are ones I nearly deleted on first seeing it on my screen.

Haha

I do that a lot!

I've just had a big deleting session in lightroom and most of those that went into the bin were photos from a series of shots of the same thing that hadn't worked, but two or 3 were kept from the series. The point I'm trying to make is, you only see photos from others, of their best/better attempts, you don't know how many photos they've taken to there.

I've just had a big deleting session in lightroom and most of those that went into the bin were photos from a series of shots of the same thing that hadn't worked, but two or 3 were kept from the series. The point I'm trying to make is, you only see photos from others, of their best/better attempts, you don't know how many photos they've taken to there.
Reminds of that kingfisher photo a couple of years ago. It took circa 720,000 attempts to get 1 photo

I hadn't noticed your lack of English ability, just your name :)
It didn't imply that you were not in the UK.

There should be courses available in your own country - wherever that is! - as there is no information on your profile page to show where you are.
I'd think about composition one to one courses rather than a basic photography course.

I should mention that there was a member who travelled from the South of France to the film photography meets - though he has disappeared from the forum for some unknown reason ;)

If you get enjoyment from photography great then keep on doing it, if not then jack it in. I don't rate my pics fantastic but I enjoy doing it, I don't do it for anyone else other than myself. If your at this point when you have to ask then its probably time to sell.

I just wanted to play Lawrence Krauss and make something from nothing
Who is dat Lawrence chap? Someone famous in photography?

Well, you are starting up and you look at photos of people that have made it (I guess). Sell the lot, flog it, get your money and buy no more than a point and shoot at no more than £30 from ebay. Put the money towards an Alfa Giulia you might still take crap photos but you will thoroughly enjoy getting to location. Between you and me you are after a reason for another camera as a different camera would make you take better photos. I go one better :D And by the way, you could have made a lot more of the photo of the car's lights ... depends how you want to see it of course ... a comment for just one of your images.

Waiting for the flames :)

Who is dat Lawrence chap? Someone famous in photography?

Lawrence Krauss is an American-Canadian theoretical physicist who wrote a book: A Universe From Nothing, where he explains how something can be created from nothing, actually how it is hard to determine what is nothing at the first place... :)

As for car lights photo, I totally agree. Feel free to comment, do not be shy... ;)

I haven't had time to read all the other comments so may repeat what others have said, but you need to have a passion for your subject and not be so trigger happy. Think about light and composition. I'm happy these days if I get one shot from a shoot but very often won't get anything. It can be a very frustrating hobby but when it all comes right it makes up for those times when you feel like quitting. I've had quite a lot of success in major competitions but still have times when I feel I can't take a decent picture! Keep at it but use your disappointment to motivate improvement

Lawrence Krauss is an American-Canadian theoretical physicist who wrote a book: A Universe From Nothing, where he explains how something can be created from nothing, actually how it is hard to determine what is nothing at the first place... :)
Right. I obviously did not google dat man.

As for car lights photo, I totally agree. Feel free to comment, do not be shy... ;)
My very first reaction ... and I saw the thread a long time ago before you had any/much feed back. (a) the leaves are distracting; (b) the kerb is distracting. Given you got a pale coloured car see if you can find some grass you can put the car over or maybe this time of year a lot of leaves on the ground and try the same shot. Try pivoting yourself whilst you are looking down on the car to see which angle works. But the attention is on the 3 lights just showing so anything below is/should be a background ... and if it is leaves experiment with open and shut down aperture, I can't tell if leaves out of focus would be better than leaves in focus.

Put differently, the photo will probably never win a competition (it is not a red alfa), I am certainly not clever enough to say "that is the correct shot", but if you can get a good shot you will be pleased, alfa geeks and petrol heads will be pleased and so on. Those that don't get it, it does not matter. You have the idea but you have not really tried the execution yet.

EDIT. Looking at your composition again, I would say the leaves - if you get leaves under the car - should be in focus.

Last edited:

Looking at your Flickr, the photo's in there are FAR better than the images you posted in this thread for comments. ;) I don't understand your original question.

If you don't enjoy...............stop. :cool:

Last edited:
I have not been to see his other photos, but I think he enjoys. He just has a bit of GAS as getting another camera is much cheaper than getting a Giulia.

I was just replying to the OP when he said;
I love photography. Actually I love other people's photos, not my own. My photography is just horrible.

You may well be correct though. Gas is a terrible thing. :D

Now you're talking. (y)

Whether or not others like the resulting photo is of no importance whatsoever.

Some examples
https://www.flickr.com/photos/littlechap/albums/72157651117435236

Sorry to take this thread off on a tangent...
Simon, your work reminds me of another Simon -Simon Caplan from Bristol. Heres a link to a couple of albums that may interest you: -
https://www.flickr.com/photos/simoncaplan/sets/72157623298562197
https://www.flickr.com/photos/simoncaplan/albums/72157623097465871

@TLR-330 I totally agree. This is my laziness in action.
As for the Giulia and GAS, very well said, although not entirely true. ;)

@OldCarlos My Flickr photos are maybe nice, but as people in this part of the world say: "Even a blind chicken sometimes finds some corn", so I wanted to share my regular photos, my ideas and way of thinking.

I think you're really a bit hard on yourself alfaholic ;-). I see your motivation problem (I had the same) but in terms of photographic skills, I have seen much worse photos from people thinking highly of themselves! Even the photos you dislike display a certain coherence between them which is nice.
In fact I think you have all the skills you need and just need a vision, a "project". You said you like portraits but need models... just ask people! You'd be surprised how many people will be flattered. Even strangers in the street. Just ask nicely and if the want to know why, have an explanation ready. Why not be honest and say you are a hobbyist trying to become good at street portraits. A quick introductory chat and a politically correct compliment also helps ("I like your hat, can I take your portrait?"). It is a bit scary at first but if you are friendly the worst that can happen in you'll get a "no thanks". Also, I have had good experiences offering my services to local charities... it give a purpose and it is great to see people actually use your photos on their website etc.

I agree with Brad... maybe you just need to find a subject you enjoy to photograph. My wildlife photos generally suck but my photos are much better when I'm photographing things I am passionate about and care.
If you didn't enjoy taking these photos but enjoy taking photos generally then try and take some photos of things you enjoy. Something music based? Portraits or wildlife... whatever floats your boat.

But if taking photos is a massive ball ache overall then probably best to sell your gear mate. I hope you find your answer soon :)

Last edited:
To the OP I think the problem is that you are trying to make good photos of things which are not very photogenic, why not try more photogenic subjects like an attractive building at sunset? You are trying to make bricks without straw.

@TLR-330 I totally agree. This is my laziness in action.
As for the Giulia and GAS, very well said, although not entirely true. ;)

@OldCarlos My Flickr photos are maybe nice, but as people in this part of the world say: "Even a blind chicken sometimes finds some corn", so I wanted to share my regular photos, my ideas and way of thinking.

Alf, I can empathise with your 'problem'. I have made my living from photography for the last 30 years, but my personal work is very lacking. I have an urge to take a photograph, any photograph, and consequently many, like your park bench sequence, are just recorded images and have little impact. I have spent a good deal of time on this for my own 'block' and this is what I concluded:

I was taking pictures FOR THE SAKE OF TAKING A PICTURE. Not really put any effort into making it better, like I would if it were work. other times, when I see something that catches my eye because of the way the light is playing, or the actual subject has merit, the results are, as is to be expected, much better.

Take your park bench pictures. You have just stood at a comfortable distance from the subject, pointed the lens and fired - you have seen something in the subject. The contrast between the straight lines of the bench slats and the round bucket...but that s far as you have explored the possibilities. Now, put some thought and effort into the scene, like you would one of your musical compositions. You could get in close to the bench, lens almost touching the wood at one end, slats running into the bucket, converging on the central round bucket......put some light in if there is none there. If you don't have a flash then work with exposure compensation, don't leave it to the auto exposure, that will only give you a 'good average' and you are wanting to break out of the 'Joe Average' circle - so use anything but average exposure then. Likewise, anything but average composition.

That close down, converging lines idea was the first thing that came into my head - if it doesn't work, MOVE THE BUCKET, it doesn't have to stay where you first found it.

What you are suffering from is 'imagination block'. Wandering around and waiting for pictures to jump into your camera. They won't. You have to put them there. Remember too, the man never made a mistake, never made anything.

THE BEST PICTURES ARE MADE - not taken. That means you have to work a scene. Don't be shy of getting your trousers wet and dirty, get down amongst the subject, change your angle of view from the standard 'stood in fornt of it'. Crouch down, stand on the bench and look down on the bucket and slats.....WORK THE SCENE, FIRE YOUR IMAGINATION AND USE PERSPECTIVE.

The last thing I would say is; it is far better to come back with just ONE decent image, than it is to come back with a card full of crap......so concentrate on getting that one good shot instead of wandering around in search of something that is going to jump out at you. You need to combine your imagination and vision, make your eyes work in conjunction with your creative side of the brain. Get away from the obvious. The resulting pictures may not be anything to hang on the wall, but they will, I GUARANTEE, provide you with more satisfaction - and that is all it is about.

Several things come to mind.

You're a professional musician, so you know that you were born with the talent automatically, and all you had to do was pick up a guitar & strum the strings repeatedly until, with little external input, it sounded wonderful, no?

As a photographer you are sloppy, lazy, letting yourself and your ability down by not taking the craft & technical side seriously. You have plenty of ability to see images despite what you think, though perhaps not the same ones that you see from others, but then fail to follow through with good processing. I'd suggest popping on a prime lens, going out to take limited numbers of images and then working on the processing side to bring out the best. Also look at the pictures other produce and - rather than just thinking "that's nice" - try to work out why they are nice and whether they have any flaws or could have been improved. It will help you to see for yourself what can make a photo good or bad, and possibly open the book for your own understanding. I always look for pictures without any comments in the forum as a chance to try to critique & understand what others have shied away from.

Well said, you have an easy way to bring out your minds eye
Mariner, just a thought,,,,From what you have said, " it feels good when you realize you have a long life on a set of strings". I use Topaz in photoshop to help me out on the processing, altho I have learned from the beginning exposure. It's like getting into a rythum, I save my raw photo's from there making a copy to select from the pictures that are shown as a preset to get started. I believe
that these photo show a leaning to abstract. Try shooting reflections in tall buildings and enjoy the new game of bring and keeping your blues skys.

Back