Should we scrap the clock changes?

woof woof

I like a nice Chianti
Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
EC wants to drop daylight saving time...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45366390

Living in NE England I'm against this as in the winter it'll be dark until waaaay too late in the morning.

I do realise though that for our leaders in Brussels or even London it's less of an issue.

What do you think?

Trust the EU to meddle in something that has been happening since 1916 :D

It's highly unlikely that it will affect us as we'll be "Out" before it comes into effect.
But yes I wish they'd leave the damned things alone, either GMT or GMT+1

Living in NE England I'm against this as in the winter it'll be dark until waaaay too late in the morning.
But surely it is anyway ? +1 only comes into effect at the end of March.

Last edited:
Trust the EU to meddle in something that has been happening since 1916 :D

It's highly unlikely that it will affect us as we'll be "Out" before it comes into effect.
But yes I wish they'd leave the damned things alone, either GMT or GMT+1

But surely it is anyway ? +1 only comes into effect at the end of March.

It depends how they do it but sunrise is about 08:30 in December / January. I wouldn't like it pushing back, at all.

Does it matter. This discussion has been going on for as long as I’ve been around. Instigated by one source or another

Fun fact: there was an article on the BBC actively discussing changing Japan's entire time zone for the world cup.

That ain't going to happen either :D

In December and January it isn't pushed back, that's the 'unadjusted' time of the year:thinking:
Yep that was my point too (y)

Instigated by one source or another
:wave: :D

It's a bit like the "Shouldfireworksbebanned?" argument.
Fireworks are fun, so just I'm sure they will be banned before to long,
the clocks going on an hour is an inconvenience, so I'm sure the archaic 100+ year old institution will remain.

Last edited:
For me I can start work whenever it suits me. So am not affected by the time of day. Lots of places already have different summer and winter opening times. Institutions can pick what suits them best.

For me I can start work whenever it suits me. So am not affected by the time of day. Lots of places already have different summer and winter opening times. Institutions can pick what suits them best.

I think if you like this or not will depend a lot on where you live and your lifestyle. People living further south, possibly being more affluent and possibly not in traditional 9-5 type clock on and off employment will be fine with it whilst people living further north and with different and perhaps with more traditional employment and lifestyles will possibly think it's not such a good thing.

Personally I think scrapping the current system is a bad idea in the UK and more so the further north you go.

Personally I think scrapping the current system is a bad idea in the UK and more so the further north you go.

Scotland is further from the "south" than France, and they have a different time zone.
So once you gain independence, you will be free to choose (y)
Sounds fair? :D

TBH I'm not quite sure what you are getting at, if the sun rises at 08.30 mid winter, that is GMT under the present system.
if BST remains, ( GMT +1) then it won't get light until 09:30.

Have to feel a bit sorry for folks in China.
It covers 5 time zones, but is UTC +1 in its entirety.

I think if you like this or not will depend a lot on where you live and your lifestyle. People living further south, possibly being more affluent and possibly not in traditional 9-5 type clock on and off employment will be fine with it whilst people living further north and with different and perhaps with more traditional employment and lifestyles will possibly think it's not such a good thing.

But that fixed 9-5 "tradition" was based on changing the clocks twice a year. So basing a decision based on a side effect is not the best way to go.
Also, DST can only work as an average between the very north and the very south of the country. It might suit the people in the very middle the best. And people in the North and south have to compromise. Whereas if you let institutions decide on opening times based on the best result for their own location, it could suit everyone.

Last edited:
It was an opportunity to write “our leaders in Brussels”.

Don't forget London too

We will still be in the EU, its only due to take effect in 2021, can't see it being sorted by then.

Last edited:

Not all jobs and companies have the same start times.
keep to GMT all year round and leave it to companies and institutions to decide as to when they start work.
People on Flexi hours do that for them selves anyway.

Lives have not been ruled by sun rise for many many years.

GMT all year would make more sense. If you want to get up earlier or later, just do it. It's only a number.

Steve.

100% agree! Unfortunately, it's far too much like common sense to ever make it through Westminster.

I had to laugh, Chris Evens was trying to tell the Irish traffic / news reporter what happens when the clocks go forward,
She couldn't get her head around it, apparently the mornings will be lighter :D

I just wish they'd leave the damn clocks alone, TBH I don't mind which way, but GMT is more useful than BST to me.

only-a-white-man-will-cut-the-top-ora-blanket-16100757.jpg

Last edited:
I find it annoying having to change the clocks twice a year, specially if it is going to cause a problem should you forgot to change the clocks, like this year when it happens that you need to move the clocks forward by an hour and there is a Formula One race on later. You look at your watch, forgetting that you were supposed to set it one hour forwards, so you think "Oh the Formula One is due to start in 5 minutes." then you switch on the television only to find that the F1 race was halfway through!!

For thousands of years, the humans got along fine without the need to change clocks by an hour, then in the past hundred of years since the start of the daylight saving time, it became some kind of a big deal if someone where to suggest ending the daylight saving time.

Apart from having an extra daylight hour, it does nothing, it does not shorten your work hours, it does not make train time travel faster, it does not start your favourite television show an hour earlier, it only just give you an extra daylight and nothing else. It's really pointless.

I find it annoying having to change the clocks twice a year
It's not that big of a deal these days. My mobile phone updates itself and I use it as an alarm clock and to check the time. It's fairly simple to change my wristwatch and the one clock we have in the house. The car's a bit more tedious going back an hour but a single press to jump ahead. Certainly it's a lot easier than 20 years ago when we had multiple clocks and watches in the house.

For thousands of years, the humans got along fine without the need to change clocks by an hour
Largely because they didn't have clocks for about 300, 000 years. Then around 6,000 years ago, humans invented clocks. No idea about whether they adjusted them for the length of the day.

Apart from having an extra daylight hour, it does nothing
It's meant to give you an extra hour of sunlight in the evening rather than in the morning where you'd be asleep and not have time to enjoy it.

Personally, I'd love it so clocks were automatically synchronised with the sun so midday was always when the sun was at it's highest point in the day. We're much more tolerant of incremental changes than the jump of one hour.

I second keeping it UTC/GMT.

During BST, it only gets dark at 9pm is stupid. Human need the darkness to wind-down and sleep better. Early bird gets the worm.

It's not that big of a deal these days. My mobile phone updates itself and I use it as an alarm clock and to check the time. It's fairly simple to change my wristwatch and the one clock we have in the house. The car's a bit more tedious going back an hour but a single press to jump ahead. Certainly it's a lot easier than 20 years ago when we had multiple clocks and watches in the house.

Largely because they didn't have clocks for about 300, 000 years. Then around 6,000 years ago, humans invented clocks. No idea about whether they adjusted them for the length of the day.

It's meant to give you an extra hour of sunlight in the evening rather than in the morning where you'd be asleep and not have time to enjoy it.

Personally, I'd love it so clocks were automatically synchronised with the sun so midday was always when the sun was at it's highest point in the day. We're much more tolerant of incremental changes than the jump of one hour.

I did say "thousands of years" which could be like between 2,000 to 9,000. I never said "hundreds of thousands of years" which is like more than 100,000 years.

When I was living in France a few years ago, I forgot about changing the clocks. It wasn't until about six or seven weeks later when I turned up an hour early for dinner with some friends that I realised what I'd done. That just goes to show how important it is/was to me. I say drop the changes and leave us on GMT all the time.

I did say "thousands of years" which could be like between 2,000 to 9,000. I never said "hundreds of thousands of years" which is like more than 100,000 years.
My point was humans have gotten along without clocks for far longer than with clocks, let alone clock changes.

I second keeping it UTC/GMT.

During BST, it only gets dark at 9pm is stupid. Human need the darkness to wind-down and sleep better. Early bird gets the worm.

True, and this is even more pronounced as you go further north. Even in the Scottish lowlands it's full daylight until well after 10pm in mid summer, and it stays light much later in the highlands and islands. The north - south issue has always been a bone of contention, with people in the north arguing that children have to go to school in the dark during the winter when the clocks go back. I don't know. I've spent most of my adult life in South Africa where there's only about an hour of difference in the times of sunrise and sunset between summer and winter.

I reckon they should let the country vote on it, give people something else to moan about once brexit us sorted :D

Last edited:
True, and this is even more pronounced as you go further north. Even in the Scottish lowlands it's full daylight until well after 10pm in mid summer, and it stays light much later in the highlands and islands. The north - south issue has always been a bone of contention, with people in the north arguing that children have to go to school in the dark during the winter when the clocks go back. I don't know. I've spent most of my adult life in South Africa where there's only about an hour of difference in the times of sunrise and sunset between summer and winter.
I do remember staggering out of a pub in the Orkney Isles a few years back. It was well past closing time and folk were out washing their cars and walking their dogs! :)

Perhaps I'm odd but I have never found any problem with adapting to the changing the clocks. I don't recall ever thinking I felt more tired in March because the clocks were moved forward, though I do appreciate it might have an impact on someone working through the night of the change.

Whether we should continue to change the clocks twice a year depends on when you would like it to be light.

For example, if we had GMT all year the sun would rise in Nottingham (chosen as it is sort of central) in mid June at about 3:40am (probably well before quite a few people are out of bed) and set about 8:30pm(while still quite a few are up and about).

Have to say I do like the late sunsets in the summer, especially in the north.

Dave

I do remember staggering out of a pub in the Orkney Isles a few years back. It was well past closing time and folk were out washing their cars and walking their dogs! :)

Yip, and Shetland - still further north - has the 'simmer dim' when the sun barely dips below the horizon in the height of summer. It's a sort of twilight, and never gets fully dark.

During BST, it only gets dark at 9pm is stupid. Human need the darkness to wind-down and sleep better.
Did you know that we would actually get the same number of hours of darkness, regardless of what we do to the clocks? It sounds like you didn't.

Back