Shoulder Camera bags.

Name
Bill
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey,

I am a hobbyist Photographer, who travels a lot for work.

I am looking for suggestions for a good Shoulder camera bag, which I would be able to use as my carry on bag. I generally only ever go away for one or two nights and usually take a minimum amount of clothes. Currently, I am using a Lowepro Novasport 17L along with a standard backpack (North Face small day pack).

I'd like to get rid of the backpack, my clothes fit into a small packing cube which could easily be carried in a shoulder bag. I only carry my A6000 the 55-210MM, the 18-55MM and a 50MM and usually a 13" macbook.

I've tried the following:

Peak Design everyday messenger (too fussy)
Timbuktu Snoop Messenger
Lowepro Novasport 17L

Ideally I prefer something that blends in and doesn't scream photographer.

Any ideas?

Appreciate all suggestions :)

+1 for the retrospective. I have a retro 30 and its beautifully made and can pack in more than you would think.

I have the a6000 all be it with only the kit lens at the moment, I bought a billingham hadley small and love it! May be a bit small for your needs but the next size up might work!! The thing that put me off the retrospective was the velcro!!

Last edited:
Mjb, you mean the noise of using Velcro or just Velcro in general?

You know the bags come with tabs so you can just close the top flap but the Velcro doesn't take hold?

How about a normal messenger bag and a cheap padded insert? If you want to save even more space, ditch the insert and use microfibre cloths to wrap stuff in.
You'd definately need the padded insert and not microfiber cloths. I've got one the crumpler over shoulder bags and whilst it's decent enough for the money, it lacks any sort of firm padding.

There's been more than one occasion where the bags taken a little knock and the lack of padding has made me wince and check my equipment.

You'd definately need the padded insert and not microfiber cloths. I've got one the crumpler over shoulder bags and whilst it's decent enough for the money, it lacks any sort of firm padding.

There's been more than one occasion where the bags taken a little knock and the lack of padding has made me wince and check my equipment.

But was it damaged? Cameras and lenses can take a lot more punishment that some people think. Domke also make some wraps in an assortment of sizes - but they're a tad on the pricey side.

I've got a Think Tank Retrospective too - but it screams camera bag to me. Mind you, that's hardly a moot point once you pull out a wanging great DSLR and start pointing it in people's faces.

But was it damaged? Cameras and lenses can take a lot more punishment that some people think.

No, it wasn't. I realise they are pretty rugged but at the time it was probably 2 weeks old so I didn't even want a tiny scratch on my prized new toy.

All I'm saying is, air on the side of caution with it - especially if it's a mere tenner for a bit of extra padding.

Back