Shoulder strap.

Name
Robert
Edit My Images
Yes
I bought a cheap shoulder strap from ebay last year thinking a strap is a strap,right?
Only used it the once at RIAT last Summer and I was concerned that the camera would come loose, indeed , several times during the day I had to tighten things up .
I gave up in the end and took it off.
They are comfortable though and would like to get a better one , what are your recommendations please folks?

I have switched to using a Blackrapid strap, another type that I have also used is the Optech pro strap.

Both are straps with a large area to spread the weight of the camera over your neck/shoulder.

I use either the strap that came with the camera or an Optech strap...

Blackrapid are worth a look, but I'm not sure re the connection they use...

In the times of the F3, I bought 3x Tamrac shoulder straps, all the same model.
25 years later, my brand new looking shoulder straps are still on duty on all my
bodies and I don't think of changing them.

I browsed to find them but only got "archived" results that could illustrate a good
direction to go to.

I've used various shoulder/sling straps (op-tech, q-strap, Tamrac etc etc) and all I would say is don't waste your money trying to buy cheaper, just go out and get a black rapid from the start. I have the Black Rapid sport and the quality is far superior to anything that I have had before. It attaches to the camera tripod mount which some people are worried about as they say that it's not designed to take such weight upside down, so I emailed Nikon and they assured me that the mount on my camera can take the weight of the camera plus 70-200mm f2.8 plus SB700 flash (they wouldn't tell me how much weight it would take, asking instead what I would be using), so I have no hesitation in using it. That being said I do also have a tether just in case ;)

I have a optech shoulder strap with my one and am very happy with it. Very comfortable to have the camera on the shoulder or over the neck.

Thanks , will have a look at these brands, the one I have is comfy enough , it's just the screw into the tripod mount I'm concerned about.

Got my Q-Straps back in 2011, been used for D3S/D4/D4s/D800/D7200 with Tamron 150-600, Nikon 70-200, Nikon 24-120 and never missed a beat ... I use the 'L' plate version which gives a secure connection and helps eliminate marking from the metal bits common to all of these straps. I have very occasionally (maybe twice a year) needed to slightly adjust the strap to make up for a small amount of 'slip' that occurs over time, especially when used with more weighty equipment. :)

Black Rapids aren't very handy. They bash against your leg, they can't be adjusted (length wise) on the fly either. The base plate is quite unhandy too, unless you opt for the more expensive one, as you can't lay your camera down flat. I've ditched the Black Rapid and use the Carry Speed. It solves all the issues i had with the Black Rapid - here's a review:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xS37P6on5ZE

Another Optech user here.
Also have their wrist strap so can change between the two.

I prefer the Joby sling strap to the Black Rapid. It's easily adjustable in length on the fly, and auto extends in length when you lift the camera to your eye. I find I prefer a tighter higher body hugging carry position where I can easily drape a protective arm over the camera to stop it swinging if running etc., but that inconveniently short for brinigng it up to the eye. The excellent ball bearing swivel on the tripod -mount is much freer and much less likely to unwind a loose bolt, plus less likely to wear and fail, than the Black Rapid.

I would have paid more for these improvements, but it's also cheaper than the Black Rapid.

Hmm google certainly seems to be throwing up its fair share of issues and problems with the carry speed. Only bothered looking as Im just waiting for the peak design slide lite to hit the uk.

After a couple of years of using it - I honestly have no complaints. Don't believe everything the internet tells you.

I prefer the Joby sling strap to the Black Rapid. It's easily adjustable in length on the fly, and auto extends in length when you lift the camera to your eye. I find I prefer a tighter higher body hugging carry position where I can easily drape a protective arm over the camera to stop it swinging if running etc., but that inconveniently short for brinigng it up to the eye. The excellent ball bearing swivel on the tripod -mount is much freer and much less likely to unwind a loose bolt, plus less likely to wear and fail, than the Black Rapid.

I would have paid more for these improvements, but it's also cheaper than the Black Rapid.

Not looked at the Joby before - but that's good to know! I honestly don't understand why the BR gets the praise it does. There are much better straps out there - just because BR are the biggest, doesn't make them the best (have you noticed how they sue rival companies that compete with them?)

Don't believe everything the internet tells you.

Searches for almost any strap, including Black Rapid and Joby will show reports of horrendous failures :)

True, but you cant ignore everything the internet tells you either. Otherwise are we to ignore every review of every product ever?

Absolutely not ... I find there is a section of photographers who will always think that the most expensive is best, ("I wouldn't hang my £3k camera on that £14 strap"), but even the most expensive have their failures, some with disastrous consequences, (check Black Rapid reports from the past!), my £14 strap has been fine since 2011 and that does it for me :)

I think it depends on the camera. A D810 with grip and a 24-70 would need a more heavyweight strap to an A7rii with a prime.

I think it depends on the camera. A D810 with grip and a 24-70 would need a more heavyweight strap to an A7rii with a prime.

I've had mine with D4/Tamron 150-600 on one shoulder and D800/70-200 on the other, much more than that and you would be unlikely to use a strap to carry it :)

I've had mine with D4/Tamron 150-600 on one shoulder and D800/70-200 on the other, much more than that and you would be unlikely to use a strap to carry it :)

Yes, but my thin leather strap which is perfect for my A7Rii would not be used on the Nikon with some heavy G glass....

Wouldn't touch a q strap I've had the connectors on two fall apart, one after less than a week of use! b"Both were slightly different designs and fortunately neither cost me any gear. The supplier was very good about replacing them for free but I wouldn't risk using one again as I might not be so lucky third time!

It's clear from careful reading of the reports of horrible failures of tripod bolt mounted sling straps of all types that a common failure mode is due to not tightening the bolt securely enough, plus the frictional forces inherent in the swivel joint being enough sometimes to unwind it gradually in small steps. The better designs have a compliant compressible washer in the securing bolt mount which has the effect of jamming the bolt against accidental unscrewing, meaning you don't have to do it up very tight to secure it, plus a design of swivel joint which keeps friction very low at all angles and twists of camera and straps.

I haven't carefully inspected the Black Rapid bolt washer to see how good it is, but there's no doubt it would better resist undoing torques if it was of larger diameter. Their swivel joint is crap. That I'm not alone in this judgement is suggested by the number of other designs which improve quite a bit on both those features.

It's clear from careful reading of the reports of horrible failures of tripod bolt mounted sling straps of all types that a common failure mode is due to not tightening the bolt securely enough, plus the frictional forces inherent in the swivel joint being enough sometimes to unwind it gradually in small steps. The better designs have a compliant compressible washer in the securing bolt mount which has the effect of jamming the bolt against accidental unscrewing, meaning you don't have to do it up very tight to secure it, plus a design of swivel joint which keeps friction very low at all angles and twists of camera and straps.

This is one of the advantages of the Q-Strap with 'L' Plate ... the plate is fitted with a piece of rubber approx 1" x 1.5" that keeps a firm grip on the camera/tripod foot base.

This is one of the advantages of the Q-Strap with 'L' Plate ... the plate is fitted with a piece of rubber approx 1" x 1.5" that keeps a firm grip on the camera/tripod foot base.
Which would be great if the connector between the plate and strap didn't literally fall to bits after a bit of light use!

Found the Optech system very reliable as well as being able to switch to a wrist strap when required. Also the velcro security straps are available to secure the fastening clips so that you are double sure the camera cannot break off the strap.

Which would be great if the connector between the plate and strap didn't literally fall to bits after a bit of light use!

My two have so far lasted 4 years each with heavy use, yours lasted a week :thinking:
I am not in competition with you I'm merely quoting my experience, which is not in isolation, just as experiences of failing expensive straps are not in isolation.

I'm looking for a shoulder strap as well. Has anyone tried the Peak Design slide ?

My two have so far lasted 4 years each with heavy use, yours lasted a week :thinking:
I am not in competition with you I'm merely quoting my experience, which is not in isolation, just as experiences of failing expensive straps are not in isolation.
I wouldn't mind if it was only one but I've had two fail, first one lasted nearly a year second one with a new design of connector nearly a week! Was massively frustrating when it literally dropped to bits on a hotel room floor in Brazil! I'm sure people's mileage can and does vary but I would never use another q strap product.

black rapid sport for me ,i use mine with a 1D3 SIGMA 150-600S so total weight around 6lbs

Back