Show deals, worth waiting for?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
I’m looking at a new mirrorless body and lens. I’m looking at somewhere between the Sony a6500-6600 and the Fujifilm xt30- xt3. Is it worth waiting for the big Birmingham photography show next month or should I get similar prices at my local LCE? I’ve not been to a photo show before and wondered if the manufacturers give super mega deals at these shows or not.

it depends on the retailers. Some will offer special show deals for show visitors, other extend those details to their local shops and websites.

Also depends on your man maths ability to ignore the cost of getting to the show, entry and car parking in order to obtain a show discount.

Ah...... good point about additional costs with going to the show to make a purchase.

Dont go expecting to save 100's of pounds is my experiance. If you want to play with everything back to back and cant do that locally then its great.

Factor in £10-18 entry, parking £12, travel £30+ you already need to save £50-60 to break even.

I bought an xt3 and 55-200 last year and saved around £200. This was because one retail offered them as a bundle. individually there was little to no saving. About a month after the show the XT3 had cash back so effectively wasted the £70 on the day out - wife came with. Im not going this year as I dont have any purchases to make and can get to WEX, Cameraworld, Park cameras and LCE quite easily should I want to .

From memory last year only 3 of those were at the show (think Park wasnt there) and these were the only 3 you could but new cameras from. Sony and Fuji dont actually sell to you they refer you to the retailers.

Out of interest AgentOrange76 did you get the xc or xf lens ? I’m torn between the xc and xf differences too! As you can guess I’m in a real dilemma.

Also depends on your man maths ability to ignore the cost of getting to the show, entry and car parking in order to obtain a show discount.

Park at Marston Green and walk a little. You could also get a 2min train ride if you don't mind more virus exposure and / or waiting for the thing. There is hardly any need to feed the NEC car parks; this is only way they will understand they've far overstepped now.
If you are reasonably local this is just like going to a park.

Having said that there are random deals every year so your best bet is asking around on Saturday and then going one of the further days. However, best deals sell out before the end of the show....

I’ve bought cameras at the show twice in the past and saved hundreds each time. It can get very crowded if you’re trying to get hands on new models.

I know you’re not thinking of a Canon, but they often offer double the cash back that you get outside of the show.

Oh ok that sounds promising. I think I’m looking at fujifilm now so could be worth a visit?!

Park at Marston Green and walk a little. You could also get a 2min train ride if you don't mind more virus exposure and / or waiting for the thing. There is hardly any need to feed the NEC car parks; this is only way they will understand they've far overstepped now.
If you are reasonably local this is just like going to a park.

Having said that there are random deals every year so your best bet is asking around on Saturday and then going one of the further days. However, best deals sell out before the end of the show....
I gather the NEC car park costs are set by the show rather than a blank NEC price. The caravan and camping show this weekend was £10 on the door entry and free car parking.

I gather the NEC car park costs are set by the show rather than a blank NEC price. The caravan and camping show this weekend was £10 on the door entry and free car parking.

So some shows attract higher net worth folk than others i.e. more money to burn ;) And I thought caravanning was expensive and elitist :LOL:

Lol. Yea I’m not really in the market for the super high end like the £k’s worth of body and another £k’s worth’s of lenses. I may not be the the customer they are after ! Lol :LOL:

The NEC car park charges usually reflect what’s on offer so for example a classic car “ show” is a high car park charge as you don’t go to buy them (typically) as opposed to a motorhome show where they are actually displaying models that they want to sell and charge less for parking or even free (which is probably funded by the manufacturers displaying product)

Quite frankly the car park charges are the reason I will never visit the NEC again. Complete and utter rip-off.

That’s interesting. I may just pop into my local LCE and see what the deals are.

Back