Show me Something Else

Edit My Images
No
I'm hoping this will be a thread that will throw up some interesting responses.

The idea is to give a link to another photographer whose work you admire (someone not a member of this forum) and a brief description of why.

For openers:
Ron Diorio
His Flickr Stream
Interview with Ron

When I first saw Ron's work I thought "hmm a bit of photoshopping - nice". But there is something about it which gets under your skin - I can't quite put my finger on it but that's the same for a lot of art. His images are haunting somehow, like looking at street photography shot in a ghost town.
Tell me what you think?
And then Show me Something Else

I'm hoping this will be a thread that will throw up some interesting responses.

The idea is to give a link to another photographer whose work you admire (someone not a member of this forum) and a brief description of why.
[/B]

:tumbleweed:

No responses yet I see... Your opening comment probably caused it by creating a time space irony imbalance. ;)

So I'll start the ball rolling by saying although there are people's work I admire, unfortunately I cannot link to two of them. I will give a description and my reasons why I admire them.

One is a commercial photographer. He does everything from packshots, foodshots, corporate meetings, promotions and so on. What I like about him is his business attitude and sense of humour. This guy really knows how to make photography pay the mortgage, and that why I like him. A no nonsense business orientated photographer. :)

Another lady I cannot link to as she strays from the Erotic shoot to straight adult. What I like is that she eschews heavy post processing and uses poses and lighting to make the models look their best. She appears to be quite successful in this. I have checked very closely... ;)

But hang on! Here is one I can link to! :D
An American photographer and blogger working in Iraq (and elsewhere of course). Totally independent of all normal media influences. He is embedded with various units over there, including the British army at times. He puts himself in the line of fire alongside the troops he is with. With words and pictures he provides a completely different view of what is happening there. He reports the good as well as the bad. I wish I had the experience and courage to be this man. His name is Michael Yon and can be found here.

http://www.michaelyon-online.com/

Hope that kickstarts this thread for you Nigelcampbell.. I usually have a habit of killing them! :eek:

I too am rubbish at links, but how about Jane Bown - she worked for the Observer for many years, had basic kit, and used natural light. She also took some fab pictures, I think..

You could do worse than look at Simon Norfolk's photos. Especially the ones of Afghanistan. He is, in my view a genius. And he's been to some very interesting places.

Although his politics are something else

Interesting links - I thought Simon Norfolks stuff was excellent (and his politics pretty sound too.)

I found Michael Yon's images dull and his politics pretty reprehensible - anyone selling delux framed prints of war photographs should have very bad things happen to them!

Good thread. Similar to the one Les started a few weeks back. Thanks for the link to Ron Dioro, this is a style I had a play at when I first started playing with Photoshop but decided it was crap. Ron has changed my mind.

A guy on my Flickr contacts list is Josh Sommers. He calls himself Pisco Bandito. Josh has played with the Droste effect and come up with some stunning stuff along the way. Worth a browse.

Ok, I was sent this link by a friend in America last year - used this guy for some commercial work [company product catalogue]. My friend was an artist and art lecturer until a few years ago [long story I wont go into] so when he saw Andrews images, he saw something straightaway, and knew I would love them...and I do! In particular his portrait work really works for me, the 'casualness' of the locations combined with real people.....hard to put my finger on exactly why Andrew Barans work in particular 'floats my boat' but it does.

Anyway, here's the link Andrew J Baran

Interesting links - I thought Simon Norfolks stuff was excellent (and his politics pretty sound too.)

I also thought his images were very good. I will not comment on his politics as I did not check this out. I enjoyed the images as is and skewed only by my own views and bias.

I found Michael Yon's images dull and his politics pretty reprehensible - anyone selling delux framed prints of war photographs should have very bad things happen to them!

Of course Mr Yon is a different bird from the more artisic aspirations of Simon Norfolk. He takes a much more journalistic view of the battle in Iraq while embedded with troops and I'm sure it's hard to be artistic when people are shooting at you. But the fact that he has words and pictures that display a different Iraq than is fed to us day in and day out while been shot at is good enough for me to admire his work even if I can agree most of the images are unlikely to win any prizes.

And I have mixed feelings about selling images of war. I think you'll find people do do this and I cannot really argue when someone is self financing. But many of the stringers out there sell their work so in that respect I cannot see the difference or the problem in the light of that information.

But what has the above got to do with politics? Selling images to pay the bills in not politics. Or is it that his views are opposed to yours and that is the real reason you wish bad things to happen to him? Is he not allowed a different point of view? What is reprehensible about telling the stories of the soldiers out there? Some of them people here may know well. It's not a story that is told in the mainstream media so I applaud someone who has the guts to go out there and tell their story.

Is that such a bad thing?

Stephen Dean - I used to work with the fella at my previosu place of work, but we have both moved on since. He isnt a pro, and has only made limited sales. he has done quite well in some fairly major competitions though.

I have tried to get him to join up on here, but he doesnt really have the time due to other commitments.

Some amazing landsscape and nature photography on his site. Check it out. :)

For me, Martyn Colbeck is one of the finest nature photographers on the planet. He has an eye for capturing the emotion of a scene stunningly well in my opinion.

Gallery here

Frans Lanting - www.franslanting.com. A contrast to Colbeck's excellent work in mono, Lanting is a man who captures the colours and brightness of nature superbly well.

But many of the stringers out there sell their work so in that respect I cannot see the difference or the problem in the light of that information.

But what has the above got to do with politics? Selling images to pay the bills in not politics. Or is it that his views are opposed to yours and that is the real reason you wish bad things to happen to him? Is he not allowed a different point of view?

OK... (deep breath)

Selling your prints of portraits or weddings or flower macros or whatever is fine with me. So arephotojournalists selling their prints to publications. Everyone has to make a living.

But if you don't feel just the faintest bit queasy at the idea of your very own delux framed war print.... then I would worry about your moral compass at little.

This has nothing to do with politics - Mr Yon is already well reported for being right wing and pro-war. He is not a journalist (in fact he's an ex special forces soldier who was dimissed for killing a man in a barroom fight). Much of his so called "reporting" from Iraq has been dismissed by the credible media as being unsubstantiated nonsense.

So in short - as I said - I find his politics reprehensible - and to add to that I think he gives real journalists a bad name.

all my opinion of course.

But if you don't feel just the faintest bit queasy at the idea of your very own delux framed war print.... then I would worry about your moral compass at little..

Well I did say I had mixed feelings about that so please don't worry about my moral compass on my behalf.

This has nothing to do with politics - Mr Yon is already well reported for being right wing and pro-war..

So why mention it in the first place then and then mention it again? Would it make a difference if he was from the opposite end of the political spectrum and was called Jon Pilger whose reporting style has also come in for much criticism over the years?

He is not a journalist (in fact he's an ex special forces soldier who was dimissed for killing a man in a barroom fight). Much of his so called "reporting" from Iraq has been dismissed by the credible media as being unsubstantiated nonsense.

What makes a journalist a journalist nowadays? I cannot believe that it's quite like studying for a medical degree. Quite a few photographers here who don't have a qualification as well.

And yes he does work outside of the mainstream. He does tell the stories of the soldiers. As you said, he is ex-military so he has bias.. But then I don't believe there is a writer on this planet who doesn't have some bias and he does give the military a hard time when they deserve it.

So in short - as I said - I find his politics reprehensible - and to add to that I think he gives real journalists a bad name.

all my opinion of course

There are of course, many 'real' journalists who give journalists a bad name.

He at least attempts to balance the reporting out of Iraq in a way that the supposedly credible mainstream media doesn't. The mainstream media has its own agenda and it appears that his agenda is diametrically opposed to theirs so of course there will be criticism flowing in both directions from both camps.

But more importantly:
His work is very much appreciated by the families and friends of the servicemen and women who are serving in Iraq. For that alone, I give him a thumbs up. Nobody else appears to be doing it in the mainstream media.

But before this turns into a pseudo-political debate on the rights and wrongs of the aforementioned troubles in Iraq, which I don't want, maybe I should link to that nice lady who does the non-touched up images of Erotica.. Now that would set the cat amongst the proverbial pidgeons and get me a swift ban I think. :LOL: ;)

OK final clarification - then I'm calling it a day on this one

But if you don't feel just the faintest bit queasy at the idea of your very own delux framed war print.... then I would worry about your moral compass at little.

This has nothing to do with politics.

I realised I should have put a carriage return in there instead of following on with a hypen.

I meant that my opinion on his print sales is not linked to his politics just the fact the it makes me and you a little uneasy.

He at least attempts to balance the reporting out of Iraq in a way that the supposedly credible mainstream media doesn't.

He reported that the Taliban were baking their own babies and eating them! A statement he later had to admit had no basis in fact whatsoever. Perhaps you should check your sources?

For the rest I think we will have to agree to disagree - As I said in my first response:
all my opinion of course.

He reported that the Taliban were baking their own babies and eating them! A statement he later had to admit had no basis in fact whatsoever. Perhaps you should check your sources?

I'll draw a line as well after this... :)

I think you'll find he reported that he was told by Iraqis that AQ had baked the babies of Iraqi familes as a threat that even worse would come for them if they didn't do as they were told. He also said that he had no proof either way that this actually happened, but based on the things he had already seen and heard could quite easily believe they were capable of such things.

Reads differently compared to your version.

The power of words eh?

Anyway, lets go look at naked chicks. :naughty::D

Sorry - I was paraphrasing - shoulda said! ;) either way - last I heard AP won't take his stories without independent corroboration, but hey - they're only the Associated Press - what do they know?!!

Naked chicks you say?? ;)

well this guy works in the uk, im not sure how i found him but i really like his work, he might even be on this site or you may know him, heres the link to Kevin Temple

For Me, i have 2 heroes.
The first is Bob Carlos Clarke.
I love his work, some of it quite erotic, others thought provoking. he studied at the same college as me(not at the same time), where i first stumbled upon his work. He is the single one person who makes me want to get into his type of tography.

The second is Danny Clifford, I love his approach to rock photography, his pictures show exactly how the scene was when it was captured. His style has really influenced the way i take rock photos.
Great thread this!!
Dean:)

When I first saw Ron's work I thought "hmm a bit of photoshopping - nice". But there is something about it which gets under your skin - I can't quite put my finger on it but that's the same for a lot of art. His images are haunting somehow, like looking at street photography shot in a ghost town.
Tell me what you think?
And then Show me Something Else

Hi, I must say just a massive wow at this guy's work..... photography and art just merge here. They are so much like paintings. Haunting yes.... Wow I can tell I'll be spending alot of time on his website so thanks for posting it. I can't like to anyone I really like right now as my bookmarks are not here since I am using a different computer, but I will try and find a link to this other guy I found before....

And obviously anyone who hasn't checked out the lensbaby galleries should do so! ;-)

Back