Show us yer film shots then!

Thats an exceptionally nice shot Rob. I really must do some more still life, I used to do quite a lot digitally but so far my film attempts have been generally pretty poor.

Thanks Andy. I have not done much still life either. I did a bit of flower photography in January thinking I might enter poty but this was my best effort and I didn't think it was good enough (or close up enough) to enter.

^^^^^^^^

It is very difficult to control flash with a ETRSI and you have produced a beautiful shot. congrats.

Rob, that's a great picture. Saw it on my phone and had to get the big PC fired up to see it properly. (y)

Ron, are your dogs wearing mini photographer's vests? I'm sure you could get a couple of rolls of film or a filter in those wee pockets ;)

^^^^^^^^

It is very difficult to control flash with a ETRSI and you have produced a beautiful shot. congrats.

Thanks. I have the prism finder with a hot shoe. I had a trigger in there that fired the flash. I also cheated and used my digital camera to preview the exposure, just like a Polaroid back would have been used.

More loveliness from bonnie Scotland RJ, top stuff. I'm getting overly excited about my trip there in May, hopefully there will be a bit of snow left on the tops by then. The current Mrs Snap and some friends are walking the West Highland Way and I'm support so I get 7 days of me and my cameras....woot.

Lovely depth to number two RJ.....

Thanks! I quite like the Fuji Pro 400H colours in that photo.

More loveliness from bonnie Scotland RJ, top stuff. I'm getting overly excited about my trip there in May, hopefully there will be a bit of snow left on the tops by then. The current Mrs Snap and some friends are walking the West Highland Way and I'm support so I get 7 days of me and my cameras....woot.

Cheers, Andy.

Mrs. Sh4rk has been aching to do the West Highland Way for a while now, but my sporting commitments have prevented us from doing so to date. I'm sure that you'll have a great time and get some amazing photos during your trek!

Sporting commitments....:thinking: Fortunately I'm way past any of that kind of malarky...unless its dominoes....:D

Rob, that's a great picture. Saw it on my phone and had to get the big PC fired up to see it properly. (y)

Ron, are your dogs wearing mini photographer's vests? I'm sure you could get a couple of rolls of film or a filter in those wee pockets ;)

They are wearing their L.L.Bean jackets. Actually a great idea when we go on our walks. They could carry quite a bit of film between them. LOL.

We recently ventured over to the Kilpatrick Hills just outside of Glasgow, which gave me another chance to play with my relatively new Bronica PS 180mm lens:

I like these a lot. Really nice. What was the film or did I miss it?

wowo the pics in this thread are getting amazing, the digi guys will be getting vexxed :)

That sounds much more fun than the WHW!

I got my first roll back from my M645J yesterday (New Portra 400) and I managed to get a couple scanned last night. I'm still working on the best setup for scanning colour negatives (B&W is so much easier!) but I'm happy enough with these for now. Focus was off slightly but these are both wide open at 2.8 and of my wife and kids not staying still for long :0)

Mamiya M645J - 80mm/2.8 - New Portra 400
by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

I converted this one to B&W in Lightroom because I wasn't happy with the white balance I was getting in colour but I think I've figured it out now so may re-scan it tonight.

I've also got a roll of Ektar 100 back from the Yashica MAT 124G I had a few months ago so I'll upload some of those later too.

Cheers
Steve

My first post in this thread :)

These were all taken with a Mamiya C220 & 80mm f/2.8 lens, on Ilford FP4+. I had them developed by Ilford Labs in Knutsford (took ten days!).

The first is of the base of a tree, nothing too special but I wanted to try the camera out on some interesting texture:

Tree Base
by Carl Hall Photography, on Flickr

The second is Looking upwards into a nearby tree:

Up a Tree

The third is looking at some leaves on the ground. They caught my eye as the light was hitting them at an angle just before sunset and I was trying to think in "black and white mode":

Leaves

And the final shot is of my girlfriend, Angi. I dragged her along and then used her to see what the DoF was like for portraits:

Angi

They have all had quite a lot of dust removal in LR5.3.

I was so shocked at the quality after I scanned them, I am genuinely over the moon with the results. I've ordered a load more FP4+ for the weekend too :D

I got my first roll back from my M645J yesterday (New Portra 400) and I managed to get a couple scanned last night. I'm still working on the best setup for scanning colour negatives (B&W is so much easier!) but I'm happy enough with these for now. Focus was off slightly but these are both wide open at 2.8 and of my wife and kids not staying still for long :0)

I converted this one to B&W in Lightroom because I wasn't happy with the white balance I was getting in colour but I think I've figured it out now so may re-scan it tonight.

I've also got a roll of Ektar 100 back from the Yashica MAT 124G I had a few months ago so I'll upload some of those later too.

Cheers
Steve

These are really nice Steve (y)

Thanks Solo Man. I'm still using my DIY negative holder at the moment so looking to make some modifications to improve handling. I might pick up an original epson holder as well to compare.

I've also been looking at the colorperfect plugin for Photoshop because I find colour negative scanning quite frustrating compared to slides. Using the trial version shows some good results.

First couple of scans from my roll of Ektar 100 on the Yashica MAT 124G;

1) Impressive handling of direct sun with no filters

Yashica MAT 124G - Kodak Ektar 100

2) Bluestone, South Wales

3)Bluestone, South Wales

4) New Brighton, Wirral

I could have done with a grad for the Bluestone shots to retain more detail in the sky but I'm happy with the results.

Cheers
Steve

These were all taken with a Mamiya C220 & 80mm f/2.8 lens, on Ilford FP4+. I had them developed by Ilford Labs in Knutsford (took ten days!).

The first is of the base of a tree, nothing too special but I wanted to try the camera out on some interesting texture:

Tree Base

Up a Tree

The third is looking at some leaves on the ground. They caught my eye as the light was hitting them at an angle just before sunset and I was trying to think in "black and white mode":

Leaves

And the final shot is of my girlfriend, Angi. I dragged her along and then used her to see what the DoF was like for portraits:

Angi

I was so shocked at the quality after I scanned them, I am genuinely over the moon with the results. I've ordered a load more FP4+ for the weekend too :D

Nice work. The last one came out really nice.

Phew, just developed my fourth roll of Velvia this week. I had a busy week with work last week. That doesn't stop me shooting, in fact I probably shoot more when I'm working because I'm out and about going places rather than being stuck at home decorating (which is what I'll be doing for the next two or three days). But working crazy hours means that I don't have time for developing and a bit of a backlog built up. Still have a roll of 120 Acros and 35mm HP5+ to do.

Anyway, this is a shot from one of the rolls. Hasselblad 501C, Distagon 50mm, Velvia 50

Traeth Mawr, Southerndown
by Cariadus, on Flickr

Phew, just developed my fourth roll of Velvia this week. I had a busy week with work last week. That doesn't stop me shooting, in fact I probably shoot more when I'm working because I'm out and about going places rather than being stuck at home decorating (which is what I'll be doing for the next two or three days). But working crazy hours means that I don't have time for developing and a bit of a backlog built up. Still have a roll of 120 Acros and 35mm HP5+ to do.

Anyway, this is a shot from one of the rolls. Hasselblad 501C, Distagon 50mm, Velvia 50

by Cariadus, on Flickr

That is just plain drop dead beautiful. Really just fantastic. I love it.

by Cariadus, on Flickr

Excellent shot again with great detail considering the fading light. The standout part for me is the last rays of the sun poking down through the clouds. Really good exposure control to keep their detail without losing the dark foreground.

Ok, last few from me tonight before I head to bed. Sorry if I'm spamming the thread but it's been a while since I've had anything new to contribute :0)

These were both shot on the Yashica MAT 124G with Kodak Ektar 100.

1) Standout tree, Bluestone, South Wales

Yashica MAT-124G

As with some of my other shots on the Yash, sharpness has been let down slightly by the shutter speed. For some reason I remember thinking that 1/60th handheld in the cold would be fine...maybe not! Clipping the edge of the branches is annoying but I like the colours.

2) New Brighton with Fort Perch Rock and Lighthouse in the background

Yashica MAT 124-G

This was originally colour but the light was pretty dull/flat and I liked the composition so I've done a B&W conversation along with basic dodge/burn and spot removal to pull something interesting from the poor light.

All feedback appreciated.
Cheers

Last edited:
Excellent stuff on this page again, what a very talented bunch.

Steve, I had not considered the surround affecting the scan. I've just scanned a roll from the Bronica which I really struggled to get right but this may explain why. Cheers.

Andy

Tree Base

Up a Tree

Leaves

Angi

Lovely shots, the last one especially.

I think I'm starting to get to grips with colour scanning now. Having to be very specific on the crop for the Preview prior to the Scan so the black surround doesn't throw off the white balance.

Mamiya M645J - 80mm 2.8 - New Portra 400

Great shot, definitely prefer it in colour. It's not too bad if you include a small portion of the frame as a thin border, but otherwise, yes it does have an effect if there's too much black surround.

Back