Show us yer film shots then!

Lovely sharp set Steve, loving the first one particularly.

Andy

Thanks Andy. I like that one too and was happy that it came out square and pretty much symmetrical without needing a crop. It was shot handheld so I was expecting it to be a little out :0)

Cheers
Steve

What seems to be my annual posting of a couple of images after getting depressed by all the great stuff on here from the preceeding 12 months!
From a recent trip to the Ulster American Folk Park in Omagh.
All with the Mamiya 645 Super on the one and only roll of Adox CHS 50 Art I've ever used.
Developed in HC110, scanned on the V500 and curves in Photoshop.

FolkPark 3
by djguru32, on Flickr

The Departed
by djguru32, on Flickr

FolkPark 5
by djguru32, on Flickr

FolkPark 1
by djguru32, on Flickr

Dave

Thanks Dean, struggled a bit with the strong light source but was able to rescue it somewhat after scanning. This trip was also my first time using incident instead of reflective readings with my handheld Sekonic (after getting the inspiration from this very forum, sorry can't remember who now) and I feel it helped greatly.

What seems to be my annual posting of a couple of images after getting depressed by all the great stuff on here from the preceeding 12 months!
From a recent trip to the Ulster American Folk Park in Omagh.
All with the Mamiya 645 Super on the one and only roll of Adox CHS 50 Art I've ever used.
Developed in HC110, scanned on the V500 and curves in Photoshop.

FolkPark 3
by djguru32, on Flickr

The Departed
by djguru32, on Flickr

FolkPark 5
by djguru32, on Flickr

FolkPark 1
by djguru32, on Flickr

Dave

Very nice! I particularly like the tones in the third photograph. It looks like the Sekonic served you well.

I was at the Ulster American Folk Park back in December; it was a decent day out. I think I posted a few of my pics from there in this thread a little while back actually.

Lovely set Dave, you should post more. The light in the first is lovely and I've always had a soft spot for Adox Art film, excellent tones.

Andy

I have been so busy lately that I can't get on very often. I looked back and was going to comment but with so many excellent photos where do you start.

I see you have leaves on the trees. We have a lot of red buds, but leaves are coming. This has been the worst winter I can remember in 30 years. Cold and snow and more snow. Seems like everything is about 2 months late this year.

Ron

RJ - thanks, I was reminded of your excellent colour set when we were planning the trip to the Park. The Sekonic I've always found reliable but incident is definitely the way to go.
Andy - thanks also; unfortunately I only ever bought one roll of the CHS50 and afaik its no longer made, I'm glad I got something reasonable out of it but I guess I'll have to go to Pan F now if I want that (lack of) speed...

You gotta straighten those horizontals on the steps Steve :D

Really like that first shot, Dave, fantastic atmosphere. :)

Agree. I went to the Ulster American Folk Park myself a couple of years ago and it is a very photogenic place, though I was mainly chasing the kids around so don't have much to show myself (though did manage this one below, handheld on Nikon FE with 50mm lens and Kodak Elitechrome 100).

Dave - your shots are great by the way!

6094511338_92fb9a7cb3_b.jpg

Last edited:
There have been some cracking images posted on this thread recently.

I have 4 films waiting to get scanned so just working my way through them.

These are from my trip to the Lake District in March.

original.jpg

A view from Hardknott Roman Fort looking over towards Scafell.

original.jpg

Aira Force

original.jpg

Scafell again.

All taken on a Bronica ETRS with the 40mm on Portra 160.

Bloomin' marvelous stuff Robert. One of my fave views is that one in V3, lovely.

Andy

T
Bloomin' marvelous stuff Robert. One of my fave views is that one in V3, lovely.

Andy
Thanks Andy. The moving clouds casting the shadows on the hillside made it for me.

T

Thanks Andy. The moving clouds casting the shadows on the hillside made it for me.

Yes, I was just going to say that; the shadows cast by the clouds really help the first photograph stand out. I do really like the composition of the second one as well.

A few weeks back, Mrs. Sh4rk was participating in the Glasgow Kiltwalk, a 23-mile walk from Glasgow city centre all the way up to Loch Lomond. I had planned to bring my SQ-A, but it developed a fault just a few days before the event, so I was left to shoot with my Minolta Autocord instead. I must say, I am always pleasantly surprised at just how well this £100, 50-year-old camera can perform.

Shot on Fuji Pro 400H, Ilford HP5 Plus, and Kodak Portra 800 :

Last edited:
Excellent stuff RJ, looks like a grand day out. Very nice, sharp images from the Autocord as well.

Andy

I do really like the composition of the second one as well.

This is the classic view of Aira Force, right beside the fence and bridge at the bottom of the pool. A very well photographed spot. The digital images:angelic: I took from the same spot turned out pretty good too:)

Although I've already shared both of these film shots, I thought it would be interesting to see both the setup and result together. The setup shot was a quick snap taken on the iPhone so I think I can see a new series of images with proper setup shots alongside the finished article :0)

View attachment 11640

View attachment 11641

Cheers
Steve

That is a great idea Steve. I did have the idea of taking a shot of the ETRS all set up and the resulting image but the image from the ETRS wasn't that good:oops: :$
original.jpg

A very attractive building Nick and very well photographed as well, excellent stuff.

Like both of those Kevin, the colours really show well. How easy to use is the Digibase kit, I'm definitely thinking of doing my own colour devving now I've started on b&w, I just love the whole process.

Andy

I scanned another roll from San Francisco.

Portra 160 and the GA645. Despite people talking about it being loud, it's actually pretty discrete:
20140425165914_scan-140224-0005-2.jpg

How easy to use is the Digibase kit, I'm definitely thinking of doing my own colour devving now I've started on b&w, I just love the whole process.

Andy

Well, it is a little more difficult because temperature control is much more critical than for B&W, and as well as overall exposure and contract which can go wrong in B&W, you also have the balance between three colour channels to consider. However both of these factors are interrelated in that if you get the temperature and degree of agitation right, then the colour balance should be right. The timing for C41 processing is standardised so the instructions will tell you how long to do each step for, whereas with B&W you can vary the time for different effects.

Please note that the instructions for the Digibase kit omit to mention the need for a rinse stage before and after the fixer stage.

I now use a Jobo CPE2 processor to control both the timing and the agitation. Before that, I used hot water in a basin to get the temp of the chemicals up - not impossible to do but fiddly and the bottles float in the water when you want them to stay down.

E6 chemicals (for slide film) are no more difficult than C41, but they need a different set of chemicals. Because the shelf life of the chems is not that long, and I don't shoot much slide film, I'm sending slide films to a lab at the moment because I don't have enough throughput to make E6 processing economical.

There are of course many mistakes that can be made, as there are for B&W, and I've probably made them all, like loading the chemicals in the wrong order, opening the film tank too early, and pouring away the chemicals when they are supposed to be reusable - but that's not because the process is inherently difficult, it's just that I'm an idiot !

Two images from Skye.

The first from the Fairy Glen, a wonderful place full of strangely ridged hills and a natural 'castle' on top of a hill.

original.jpg

The second image is from a much photographed location. Looking down on the 'Old man of Storr'. This was taken just around sunrise and involved an hours climb in the dark with a headtorch.

original.jpg

Both images taken with a Bronica ETRS on Portra 160

Two images from Skye.

The first from the Fairy Glen, a wonderful place full of strangely ridged hills and a natural 'castle' on top of a hill.

original.jpg

The second image is from a much photographed location. Looking down on the 'Old man of Storr'. This was taken just around sunrise and involved an hours climb in the dark with a headtorch.

original.jpg

Both images taken with a Bronica ETRS on Portra 160

Ahhh, Skye, one of my favourite places. We had a great time at the Fairy Glen when we visited Skye in March.

Wow, photo two looks spectacular.

Well, it is a little more difficult because temperature control is much more critical than for B&W, and as well as overall exposure and contract which can go wrong in B&W, you also have the balance between three colour channels to consider. However both of these factors are interrelated in that if you get the temperature and degree of agitation right, then the colour balance should be right. The timing for C41 processing is standardised so the instructions will tell you how long to do each step for, whereas with B&W you can vary the time for different effects.

Please note that the instructions for the Digibase kit omit to mention the need for a rinse stage before and after the fixer stage.

I now use a Jobo CPE2 processor to control both the timing and the agitation. Before that, I used hot water in a basin to get the temp of the chemicals up - not impossible to do but fiddly and the bottles float in the water when you want them to stay down.

E6 chemicals (for slide film) are no more difficult than C41, but they need a different set of chemicals. Because the shelf life of the chems is not that long, and I don't shoot much slide film, I'm sending slide films to a lab at the moment because I don't have enough throughput to make E6 processing economical.

There are of course many mistakes that can be made, as there are for B&W, and I've probably made them all, like loading the chemicals in the wrong order, opening the film tank too early, and pouring away the chemicals when they are supposed to be reusable - but that's not because the process is inherently difficult, it's just that I'm an idiot !

Thanks Kev, I'm thinking that the Jobo is the way to go as I really do have an enormous capacity for messing up anything involving more than one stage....:banghead: I have read some very good things about the Digibase kit, I shall probably give that a try in a few weeks.

Andy

Ahhh, Skye, one of my favourite places. We had a great time at the Fairy Glen when we visited Skye in March.

Wow, photo two looks spectacular.

Thanks RJ.

This was my second visit to Skye but the first time I've been up the Storr or visited the Fairy Glen so it was good to finally get to these locations. The sunrise wasnt the best but at keast there was a bit of colour in the sky and the Storr lit up nicely with the rising sun.

Back