Show us yer film shots then!

This is one of my shots on the lovely Provia 100f, taken in the Sahara Desert, Morocco.
Unfortunately, while I had the shutter open (100 mins), a couple decided to go exploring with their little torch! At the time I was boiling with frustration, but decided I shouldn't be selfish and shout at them as they were probably having fun. I thought I'd leave it in the picture too (I'm quite a purist when it comes to film and refrain from photoshopping).

More pics from this roll here

I know how you feel nothing more frustrating than a very long exposure not being exactly how you'd planned. In this case though I'd say it works nicely.

This is one of my shots on the lovely Provia 100f, taken in the Sahara Desert, Morocco.
Unfortunately, while I had the shutter open (100 mins), a couple decided to go exploring with their little torch! At the time I was boiling with frustration, but decided I shouldn't be selfish and shout at them as they were probably having fun. I thought I'd leave it in the picture too (I'm quite a purist when it comes to film and refrain from photoshopping).

More pics from this roll here

Very good and just to add (as torches were mentioned)....I've seen night shots where the camera was set with shutter open and the photographer has gone around lighting things up with a torch.

I know, it would have been cheaper to shoot in mono, but the sheet of Provia cost about £3.50 and I devved it msyelf so it cost less than 50p
Absolutely nothing, perhaps I took three different exposures to make sure one is right:) it was very clean up there though!

Had to go up into the loft at the weekend and I found this photo I took when I was 15. Taken with a Pentina 35mm SLR, Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f/2.8 on either Ilford FP4 or XP2 and home printed using a Gnome Beta II enlarger on Ilford matt paper in my attic darkroom (happy days!).

Sadly the negative is long since lost, and the textured matt paper doesn't lend itself to scanning. I can still remember taking this photo; there was just something about the far-away look on the old chappie's face that drew me to the shot. Pity I didn't wait until the bloke in the background had moved, but I wanted to capture the moment without the old chap noticing me.

Had to go up into the loft at the weekend and I found this photo I took when I was 15. Taken with a Pentina 35mm SLR, Carl Zeiss Jena 50mm f/2.8 on either Ilford FP4 or XP2 and home printed using a Gnome Beta II enlarger on Ilford matt paper in my attic darkroom (happy days!).

Sadly the negative is long since lost, and the textured matt paper doesn't lend itself to scanning. I can still remember taking this photo; there was just something about the far-away look on the old chappie's face that drew me to the shot. Pity I didn't wait until the bloke in the background had moved, but I wanted to capture the moment without the old chap noticing me.

This is a really interesting shot Mr B. What year was it taken? The guy's expression makes me wonder what he was thinking

Thanks Carl, it would have been around 1979. I think that's why the photo works for some people; it makes you wonder, and in doing so it sort of gives a feeling of the moment captured.

Last edited:
Thanks Carl, it would have been around 1979. I think that's why the photo works for some people; it makes you wonder, and in doing so it sort of gives a feeling of the moment captured.
I know this is a bit nerdy but the bike luggage confirms to me the probable date of the late 70s as I had similar items on my Dawes Fox in those days.

the bike luggage confirms to me the probable date of the late 70s

It's the pint jugs for me (as well as an apparent lack of lager). Not seen one of those for many a year.

It's the pint jugs for me (as well as an apparent lack of lager). Not seen one of those for many a year.

"A lack of lager"....... the bad old days then.:D

"A lack of lager"....... the bad old days then.:D
:eek: Philistine! ;)

I always prefer a pint of bitter in a proper pint pot (the dimpled glass, handled variety, as per the one in the photo) rather than one of those 'vase' type straight ones. As you say, quite a few modern pubs don't even have them these days, that's why I prefer old fashioned real ale type pubs, rather than some of these 'all bay window and nowt in the front room' type places. ;)

Last edited:
A few test shots from my new Mamiya 645. I got 2 of them, one with fried electronics and the other with a problem with the mirror return. Sent them off to Miles and I now have a new-like Mamiya 645 and Miles has a donor body for parts.
It came with the 80mm f2.8 and I then bought the 150mm f4 which is a ridiculously inexpensive lens given its quality.

All on Fuji Pro 400H, slightly OOD.

First 2 with the 80mm and the last 2 with the 150mm.
Forgotten by Andy, on Flickr

St Mikes by Andy, on Flickr

Lonely Angel by Andy, on Flickr

In Memory of Sarah2 by Andy, on Flickr

So far I'm impressed, the camera handles well, although it is a little heavier than ideal, the lenses are sharp and I think I'll give it a good test over New Year in the Lakes.

A few test shots from my new Mamiya 645. I got 2 of them, one with fried electronics and the other with a problem with the mirror return. Sent them off to Miles and I now have a new-like Mamiya 645 and Miles has a donor body for parts.
It came with the 80mm f2.8 and I then bought the 150mm f4 which is a ridiculously inexpensive lens given its quality.

All on Fuji Pro 400H, slightly OOD.

First 2 with the 80mm and the last 2 with the 150mm.
Forgotten by Andy, on Flickr

St Mikes by Andy, on Flickr

Lonely Angel by Andy, on Flickr

In Memory of Sarah2 by Andy, on Flickr

So far I'm impressed, the camera handles well, although it is a little heavier than ideal, the lenses are sharp and I think I'll give it a good test over New Year in the Lakes.

The Mamiya and Bronica 645 cameras always looked like MF bargains to me, and even more so now a lot of cameras have shot way up in price.

I don't want to encourage GAS, but...80mm f1.9 or 45mm f2.8 next? :D

I don't want to encourage GAS, but...80mm f1.9 or 45mm f2.8 next? :D

Yes, I definitely need something wider so possibly the 45 or 55mm. I know the f1.9 is supposedly a bit special but it is considerably more expensive and I don't really need f1.9.....yet:D

Yes, I definitely need something wider so possibly the 45 or 55mm. I know the f1.9 is supposedly a bit special but it is considerably more expensive and I don't really need f1.9.....yet:D

You need the 35mm 3.5 Andy. Such an awesome lens and I cry a little every time I remember that I've had two and sold them both :coat:

A walk around Liverpool by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

Gave my 'Gift' PENTAX MZ-5 an outing loaded with 2008 dated Konica VX 400 Pro that was ;fresh; when bought ! I rated it at 250 ASA and processed in well-used C41 giving extra 30 secs dev time. Lenses were : 35-80mm f4-5.6 SMC-F and 100-300mm f4.5-5.6 SMC -F
MZ-5 01.jpg MZ-5 03.jpg MZ-5 05.jpg MZ-5 06.jpg MZ-5 07.jpg

Taken back in 1997, a new arrival. She just celebrated her 21st.

Minolta XD-7
Minolta MC Rokkor-PF 135mm f/2.8
Cable release
Fujifilm Reala
Plustek OpticFilm 8100 and SilverFast scanning software
TIFF processed in ON1 Photo RAW

dadbaby2.jpg

Minolta XD-7
Cable release
Fujifilm Reala

dadbaby2.jpg

That is a wonderful photograph and a bet it is only now that you are so glad you had a cable release. :)

Minolta XD-7
Cable release
Fujifilm Reala

dadbaby2.jpg

Great picture Sam!

Love the avatar as well - Nokin :)

Thanks so much Richard and Fraser, I appreciate it. I really needed that cable release I can tell you. That avatar was originally a light-hearted send-up of macho avatars I kept seeing years ago. I nicked the big camera off a Nikon promo shot. :D

Bit of a disaster the other week going to see Black Star Riders at the Tivoli. I pretty much guessed the metering ("f8, 1/60 & hope") then knocked the aperture ring to f11 by accudent but couldn't see a sausage in the club. Tried getting AG to push it by +1 but that didn't help and the negs were so bad that AG daren't cut them because they couldn't see where one pic ended and the other began.

Lesson learned. Got maybe three I was happy with, and they've got a certain "charm" even if they're not really that good. I had a blast though :)

Black Star Riders, Tivoli, Nov 2018
by Ian, on Flickr

Having read about developing Ilford XP2 as a conventional b&w film, I gave it a try today in Kodak HC-110 at iso 200 for 7mins. A rare outing for the OM2 in the centre of Inverness today and a mix of 50mm and 28mm lenses.

Spotlit seagull that was quite happy to pose.

2018-12-10-0001-copy.jpg

Refurbished part of the Town House
2018-12-10-0010-copy.jpg

View from the castle tower
2018-12-10-0008-copy.jpg

2018-12-10-0025-copy.jpg

2018-12-10-0024-copy2.jpg

Having read about developing Ilford XP2 as a conventional b&w film, I gave it a try today in Kodak HC-110 at iso 200 for 7mins. A rare outing for the OM2 in the centre of Inverness today and a mix of 50mm and 28mm lenses.

#
Well that worked OK!

Having read about developing Ilford XP2 as a conventional b&w film, I gave it a try today in Kodak HC-110 at iso 200 for 7mins

"B" solution presumably ??

I don't have any XP2 left and have no intention to obtain anymore, however going on your results Pater, I wish I'd known about deving in hc110 as I purposely souped my film in C41 chems that had been purchased purposely for colour films and tbh I wouldn't say the "correct" deving method was much better than what you've managed to achieve.

A couple of photos from my recent New York trip - shot HP5 & Tri-X at 2 stops over, but it appears the results are less than great... a bit (read lot) under exposed in some cases. Have massaged these quite a bit in LR which kind of defeats the object of the exercise! Oh well, a good excuse to go back next year and try again :D

New York on HP5_New York112
by Dave Young, on Flickr

New York on HP5_New York107
by Dave Young, on Flickr

New York on HP5_New York103
by Dave Young, on Flickr

New York on TRI-X_New York112
by Dave Young, on Flickr

If as you said you shot at 2 stops OVER -- how is it that you said the results were UNDER ? My New York photos were all good on,outdated Delta 100 .

Back