Show us yer film shots then!

There does seem to be a move toward nuclear landscapes at the moment and they never look right on digital, and don't get me started about HDR landscapes....yuk

Have to agree with you on that one. Shadows seem to be completely banished from many digital landscape shots, just looks so unnatural.

A few of my older landscapes
fomapan 100 in rodinal at 1/200 for a hour

4.jpg

4.jpg

Love those, Dave, especially the bluebell (?) one. I notice you do Rodinal 1:200. I normally do 1:100 for 1 hour with a couple of inversions half way through. I guess it's such a tiny dilution that the odd 1/100th doesn't make much difference!

I picked up a power supply for my new (to me) V500 scanner today :0) It was from an office clearance so didn't have the negative holders with it either so I've scanned a shot I took on the Chester Film meet to test my DIY negative carrier I made out standard framing mountboard;

Epson V500 DIY Negative Holder
by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

First tests showed the the opening I've cut is probably 1mm too wide on each side although strangely, the strip of Velvia I used to measure up is slightly wider than a strip of Fuji Acros 100? Either way, it's pretty quick to load and seems to be pretty much spot on for height from the bed. I'm happy with the result anyway and I also scanned a couple of 35mm strips using the same opening so multi-tasking!

Chester Dee Bridge

This was taken with a Kowa 6, Fuji Acros 100 and developed in R09 (I think, it was a while back..) and the negative's been kept loose in a folder since then so has a few dust spots etc.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
I picked up a power supply for my new (to me) V500 scanner today :0) It was from an office clearance so didn't have the negative holders with it either so I've scanned a shot I took on the Chester Film meet to test my DIY negative carrier I made out standard framing mountboard;

First tests showed the the opening I've cut is probably 1mm too wide on each side although strangely, the strip of Velvia I used to measure up is slightly wider than a strip of Fuji Acros 100? Either way, it's pretty quick to load and seems to be pretty much spot on for height from the bed. I'm happy with the result anyway and I also scanned a couple of 35mm strips using the same opening so multi-tasking!

Chester Dee Bridge

This was taken with a Kowa 6, Fuji Acros 100 and developed in R09 (I think, it was a while back..) and the negative's been kept loose in a folder since then so has a few dust spots etc.

Cheers
Steve

Your DIY holder worked well That shot is nice and clear and crisp.

So many nice shots. Pete, Bill and others. Bill's duck looks like it is going to swim out of my monitor.

Nice set, Ron, agree about the last, that Canon has perfect metering, congrats. :cool:

Thanks for the nice comments.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but my wife had some medical problems that turned out after tests this morning to not be terribly serious.

here are some taken in the Ironbridge Gorge World Heritage site in Shropshire in the Blists Hill Victorian Town area a couple of years ago -- I stayed with Family in the Coalbrookdale Youth Hostel near the China Museum -- i used my 2002 Hasselblad 501CM + A16 back and 'Sepia Toned' the photos in PhotoShop 7
50mm f4 CFi Distagon T*, 2005 dated Ilford Delta 400 processed in Tetenal Neopress HC 1+31, flash was Sunpak autozoom 3000

Ironbridge: The Candle-Maker
by pentaxpete, on Flickr

80mm f2.8 CFE Planar, film as above, bounced flash

Ironbridge : The Plumber
by pentaxpete, on Flickr
50mm f4 CFi Distagon T*, bounced flash

Ironbridge: the Metal Worker
by pentaxpete, on Flickr

50mm f4 CFi Distagon T*

Ironbridge : The Kiln of the China Museum
by pentaxpete, on Flickr
Peter, I really like these, a nice documentary set of your visit, really like the middle two particularly. Can I ask about your 50mm Distagon. I have been pondering on one of these for some time but have been. Little. Put off by some reports that earlier models (the ones. I can afford) are a bit soft at the edges. Can. I ask about the one you are using and edge sharpness and generally how it performs?

W
Excellent work, folks! These are using expired Kodak Gold 100 with Konica T4 and UC Hexanon 4/80-200 zoom:

3200818332_1b7024263e_z.jpg

3082298541_dafd3d4b53_z.jpg

3094900660_932b982759_z.jpg

3094900788_e348cacc68_z.jpg
William, a beautiful close up set and quite a good advertisement for just how good Kodacolor Gold 100 can be in the right hands!

Last edited:
Adrian, thanks, too kind, a pity the film is no longer made. For everyday shooting I've been migrating to Fuji Xtra 400, first pic is with the Olympus 35SP and 2nd is with FED-5C with Industar 61 L/D lens:

5094690105_54839cd77d_z.jpg

8274325733_ef48bb70e1_z.jpg

Thanks for the nice comments.

Sorry I didn't get back sooner but my wife had some medical problems that turned out after tests this morning to not be terribly serious.

Glad they weren't dire, Ron, and hope she's feeling better.

Chester Dee Bridge

Cheers
Steve

That DIY film holder is very clever. Would never have thought of doing that. I use the holder from betterscanning.com.

Love the shot from the Kowa. I have a Super 66 which I haven't used for ages.

That DIY film holder is very clever. Would never have thought of doing that. I use the holder from betterscanning.com.

Love the shot from the Kowa. I have a Super 66 which I haven't used for ages.

Thanks Roger. I kind of made it up as I went along before the scanner arrived. I've since added some thin struts across the opening so the negative is gripped more which helps keep it flat. I've made the struts for 6x6 frames so I can still mount 6x4.5 or 35mm negatives with the same holder. I'm happy enough with the results to stick with it for now.

Fuji GA645 on Fuji Acros 100;

Jake with Kowa 6

I really enjoyed using the Kowa after borrowing it from a work colleague. I took it away to Fuertaventura on our family holiday last year which got some strange looks from my wife!

Edit - Apologies, I forgot to say that the colours you've delivered from the last few shots you've posted from the Hasselblad/Velvia are stunning. I've been trying to scan some Velvia I shot last summer and have found how much of a nightmare it is to get right so all respect! Keep them coming :0)

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Kowa 6 was my first medium format camera, remember the loud mirror slap. :D A few from a 1937 Voigtlander Bessa E-Messer 6x9 Skopar, various film home processed and scanned:

4324616026_0f64e3d1a9_z.jpg

4623787472_bcf6417a78_z.jpg

4664755558_3154ac46f9_z.jpg

4906239359_8d7260a77a_z.jpg

camera
8690444516_8cb315b27a.jpg

Adrian, thanks, too kind, a pity the film is no longer made. For everyday shooting I've been migrating to Fuji Xtra 400, first pic is with the Olympus 35SP and 2nd is with FED-5C with Industar 61 L/D lens:

5094690105_54839cd77d_z.jpg

8274325733_ef48bb70e1_z.jpg
These are nice Bill.

The Fed-5C I ordered has been here almost 3 weeks but the lens I ordered the next day hasn't arrived yet. I think something is smelling foul.

I have been calling Fuji Superia Xtra 400 my go to film for about 3 years. Cheap, nice colors, scans well and available any where. Keeping all the gold 100 in the freezer for special occasions.

Thanks Roger. I kind of made it up as I went along before the scanner arrived. I've since added some thin struts across the opening so the negative is gripped more which helps keep it flat. I've made the struts for 6x6 frames so I can still mount 6x4.5 or 35mm negatives with the same holder. I'm happy enough with the results to stick with it for now.

Fuji GA645 on Fuji Acros 100;

Jake with Kowa 6

I really enjoyed using the Kowa after borrowing it from a work colleague. I took it away to Fuertaventura on our family holiday last year which got some strange looks from my wife!

Edit - Apologies, I forgot to say that the colours you've delivered from the last few shots you've posted from the Hasselblad/Velvia are stunning. I've been trying to scan some Velvia I shot last summer and have found how much of a nightmare it is to get right so all respect! Keep them coming :0)

Cheers
Steve

I almost bought a Fuji GA645 a while ago. Your shot of your young lad makes me think I should have bought it. Nice.

Kowa 6 was my first medium format camera, remember the loud mirror slap. :D A few from a 1937 Voigtlander Bessa E-Messer 6x9 Skopar, various film home processed and scanned:

4324616026_0f64e3d1a9_z.jpg

4623787472_bcf6417a78_z.jpg

4664755558_3154ac46f9_z.jpg

4906239359_8d7260a77a_z.jpg

camera
8690444516_8cb315b27a.jpg

Wow!! That Bessa really does a nice job Bill. It certainly looks to be in good shape as well.

I very rarely shoot any slide film, but I bought some Provia 100F before Christmas, so I thought I'd try it on a brief day trip up to Loch Awe a few weeks ago. All shot with my Bronica SQ-A using my 105mm S f/3.5 lens and scanned on my Epson 4490.

Very nice RJ, lovely composition and colours.

Very, very nice, RJ. Surprisingly unsaturated for Provia?

Very nice RJ, lovely composition and colours.

Thanks, Andy!

Very, very nice, RJ. Surprisingly unsaturated for Provia?

Thanks, Chris. And here I was thinking these looked really saturated! I think I did desaturate the blues slightly in third pic.

Edit: Oop, I've just checked and I didn't desaturate anything at all in the third pic.

Last edited:
Well a few days have passed since I last viewed this thread ....to return to 4 pages of some absolutely brilliant shots....a delight to view and a credit to the togs :clap:

A warm welcome to our "TP ( f&c) newbies" .........thank you for sharing some of your work(y)

It's surely the Lesser Snap, wondering where his home on Holy Island is?

Your all just mean boys who are being mean...I'm telling my mum on you.:p

Peter, I really like these, a nice documentary set of your visit, really like the middle two particularly. Can I ask about your 50mm Distagon. I have been pondering on one of these for some time but have been. Little. Put off by some reports that earlier models (the ones. I can afford) are a bit soft at the edges. Can. I ask about the one you are using and edge sharpness and generally how it performs?
LAO : sorry for not getting back quicker -- been in HOSPITAL for a hernia operation so am a but sore !!
Well, the 50mm f4 Cfi DISTAGON I bought new from David S. H. Leung Camera Dealer of Goodmayes Essex in 2001 -- I have had some good results but not all -- I cannot seem to get those 'Exquisite Sharpness' examples I have seen in the Hasselblad 'Forum' magazine even allowing for that I use a tripod or electronic flash, One I took stopped all the way down must have had 'diffraction' effects so f32 is not useable . I DID get a really sharp one at FULL APERTURE f4 in a Whisky Distillery in Scotland and it was hand-held too -- all the details were resolved on the wire mesh OK -- see if I can find it --

Scotland 4
by pentaxpete, on Flickr

LAO : sorry for not getting back quicker -- been in HOSPITAL for a hernia operation so am a but sore !!
Well, the 50mm f4 Cfi DISTAGON I bought new from David S. H. Leung Camera Dealer of Goodmayes Essex in 2001 -- I have had some good results but not all -- I cannot seem to get those 'Exquisite Sharpness' examples I have seen in the Hasselblad 'Forum' magazine even allowing for that I use a tripod or electronic flash, One I took stopped all the way down must have had 'diffraction' effects so f32 is not useable . I DID get a really sharp one at FULL APERTURE f4 in a Whisky Distillery in Scotland and it was hand-held too -- all the details were resolved on the wire mesh OK -- see if I can find it --

Scotland 4
by pentaxpete, on Flickr
Pete, many thanks for this, it is always very helpful to get a users view of a piece of equipment.Your distillery shot looks excellent to me and at full aperture and hand held too! I really like the 80mm planar and have always been very pleased with it's output. I know Hasselblad produced the FLE version to tackle concerns about sharpness on the 50 mm but these lenses are quite an expense.

Back