Show us yer film shots then!

Some recent shots with the F3 on Ektar 100

Your three great shots again explain why Ektar is just a great colour film,well presented with a very good set of three.(y). Well done Scott.

Last edited:
Loving Mark and Roger's squares. Mark's second just suits 6x6 perfectly and Roger's beach/skyscape is just perfect- texture, composition handling of the highlights and shoadows. Wowser!

I recently experimented with Portra 400 and pushing it three stops. The results suggest that it can kinda work, at a push (ha), but there must be a fairly strong light source somewhere in the frame providing some luminance to the subjects, otherwise you won't see much of anything. Below are a couple of shots from a recent athletics meeting in Glasgow. I also have some shots from Christmas on Fuji Pro 400H pushed one stop that I'll be able to post soon too.

Thanks Jim. I prefer the square format and do love the Hasselblad. But I wouldnt have got these with the Hassy - luckily I had the Minolta and caught five frames as my son scored a try recently.

I love the last one where he is looking up for the camera!

I recently experimented with Portra 400 and pushing it three stops. The results suggest that it can kinda work, at a push (ha), but there must be a fairly strong light source somewhere in the frame providing some luminance to the subjects, otherwise you won't see much of anything. Below are a couple of shots from a recent athletics meeting in Glasgow. I also have some shots from Christmas on Fuji Pro 400H pushed one stop that I'll be able to post soon too.

Wow, that worked pretty well pushing Portra 3 stops. Useful to know.

Brilliant last shot,fabulous tones,great long distance foreground joining a fantastic sky, someone may give you thirds of this and thirds of that,but not me. Sensational photograph.

Loving Mark and Roger's squares. Mark's second just suits 6x6 perfectly and Roger's beach/skyscape is just perfect- texture, composition handling of the highlights and shoadows. Wowser!

Thanks both!

Thanks Jim. I prefer the square format and do love the Hasselblad. But I wouldnt have got these with the Hassy - luckily I had the Minolta and caught five frames as my son scored a try recently.

I love the last one where he is looking up for the camera!

Good job with them.

I had some fun with the Pentax 645N and a flash at martial arts training just before Christmas. Last night I tried wet scanning on the v500 for the first time. I'm impressed - the contrast is high on the negs - I think the auto flash was confused by the light reflecting off the white walls and slightly underexposed. But the clarity of the scan from the wet mounting, combined with the guaranteed film flatness has sold it to me.

Pentax 645N, 45mm lens, Portra 400
20140123151202_scan-140123-0004.jpg

Fantastic shot Brian, looks like the 645N is a very good camera...damn it another one on the list.

I've just got my first couple of rolls of film back from my 'new' Canon EOS 30 and am impressed on the whole although Fuji C200 is still the devil's own colour film :mad: (thankfully that was the last roll I had after buying some as emergency test rolls!). As well as the C200, I also shot a roll of Kodak BW400CN which is slightly better. I used a Sigma 50mm 1.4 and Tamron 19-35 and shot these around Chester Zoo last week with the kids. I've ended up converting all but one of the C200 shots to B&W because the white balance/colours are miles away from anything and couldn't be recovered.

1) Kodak BW400CN / Sigma 50mm 1.4 (probably at 1.4)

Canon EOS 30 / Sigma 50mm 1.4
by Steve Lloyd, on Flickr

2) Again, Kodak BW400CN and the Sigma

3) The Chimpanzee house (kit as above)

4) Tamron 19-35 and Fuji C200 converted

Canon EOS 30 / Tamron 19-35

5) Kodak BW400CN / Tamron 19-35 and an ND4 grad held in front of the lens (still waiting for my 77mm Cokin ring to arrive!)

6) Sigma 50mm 1.4 and Fuji C200 converted

7) As above, Sigma and Fuji C200

Overall, I'm quite happy with the results although the scans are pretty low resolution (local shop) so once my new V500 power supply arrives I think I'll re-scan some of them to see if it improves the quality. I'm still in two minds about moving back to 35mm from Medium Format after getting used to the DOF and quality from 120 negatives but I'm going to put some more rolls of (better) film through the Canon before making my mind up although I'm a fan of the Eye focus feature of the Canon so wouldn't mind that on some MF kit :0)

Cheers
Steve

I've just got my first couple of rolls of film back from my 'new' Canon EOS 30 and am impressed on the whole although Fuji C200 is still the devil's own colour film :mad: (thankfully that was the last roll I had after buying some as emergency test rolls!). As well as the C200, I also shot a roll of Kodak BW400CN which is slightly better. I used a Sigma 50mm 1.4 and Tamron 19-35 and shot these around Chester Zoo last week with the kids. I've ended up converting all but one of the C200 shots to B&W because the white balance/colours are miles away from anything and couldn't be recovered.

5) Kodak BW400CN / Tamron 19-35 and an ND4 grad held in front of the lens (still waiting for my 77mm Cokin ring to arrive!)

Overall, I'm quite happy with the results although the scans are pretty low resolution (local shop) so once my new V500 power supply arrives I think I'll re-scan some of them to see if it improves the quality. I'm still in two minds about moving back to 35mm from Medium Format after getting used to the DOF and quality from 120 negatives but I'm going to put some more rolls of (better) film through the Canon before making my mind up although I'm a fan of the Eye focus feature of the Canon so wouldn't mind that on some MF kit :0)

Cheers
Steve

Really good set there Steve. I like them all. Also, I have to agree with you on the Fuji CN200! Ive never been able to get a decent colour shot out of a roll of that.

Thanks Nick. I've seen shots from C200 on flickr etc that actually looks like normal colours but I think they must be under lab conditions because I just don't get any joy with it!

Cheers
Steve

Brilliant last shot,fabulous tones,great long distance foreground joining a fantastic sky, someone may give you thirds of this and thirds of that,but not me. Sensational photograph.

Thanks!

Another one from the Hassy from earlier this week (Monday I think)
Hasselblad 501C, Distagon 50mm, Fuji Acros 100
Rodinal 1:25, 6 mins @ 20C

Ogmore
by Cariadus, on Flickr

I had some fun with the Pentax 645N and a flash at martial arts training just before Christmas. Last night I tried wet scanning on the v500 for the first time. I'm impressed - the contrast is high on the negs - I think the auto flash was confused by the light reflecting off the white walls and slightly underexposed. But the clarity of the scan from the wet mounting, combined with the guaranteed film flatness has sold it to me.

Pentax 645N, 45mm lens, Portra 400
20140123151202_scan-140123-0004.jpg

Can you do wet scanning on a V500? I thought it was only the V750 that could do that? Or am I missing something with my V500?
Great shot, by the way.

Cheers
Steve

Those shots worked well in B&W. Especially like the last but one shot. I've had similar soul searching about 35mm. Initially I thought I would stick with medium format and bought a Fuji GA645zi for times when I didn't want to cart my Hasselblad kit around. I never really got on with it, though. I've now bought a Bessa R3A and Nokton 40mm f1.4 and I love it. After 2 weeks of ownership I've taken more shots that I like than I did in 3 months with the Fuji. I don't think it will ever replace my Hassy, though. :)

Thanks. I've been through a selection of MF kit over the last 18 months including a Kowa 6, Yashica Mat, 2 x Yashica 124G's, Kiev 88, Pentacon 6 and a Fuji GA645 and have always said that my favourite of them all was the Fuji 645 strangely enough. For me it has the highest simplicity>quality of negative out of them all but maybe I was being lazy and enjoying autofocus :0)

I've seen a slightly tired looking Bronica S2 which, although needing new leatherette and a darkslide appears to function ok and it keeps coming to mind although I'm really undecided. I want to love the Canon because I like the handling so maybe I'll try some more film and scan it myself before I do anything. I've used a Nokton 40mm 1.4 on my NEX and it certainly delivers impressive results for such a small package although the focus 'knob' took a bit of getting used to instead of a more normal ring.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:
Yes, it's funny how we get on with some cameras and not with others. I just never really seemed to gel with the Fuji, and although it's small by MF standards it's just a little too big to be a carry anywhere camera. What I really needed, I think, is a camera that I could slip into my fleece pocket and that would have a lens fast enough to shoot in low-ish light if necessary and in that respect the Bessa fits the bill nicely.

Thanks!

Another one from the Hassy from earlier this week (Monday I think)
Hasselblad 501C, Distagon 50mm, Fuji Acros 100
Rodinal 1:25, 6 mins @ 20C

Ogmore
by Cariadus, on Flickr

Very nice and simple image that I like a lot.

Film is new for me. Having seen this the acros 100 is going on the list of films to try :)

Can you do wet scanning on a V500? I thought it was only the V750 that could do that? Or am I missing something with my V500?
Great shot, by the way.
Thanks!

The V750 has a holder that lets you do wet scanning, but you've to do a homemade holder to do so on the v500. I'm doing it on the cheap - I'm using testors odourless mineral spirits from the art shop as mounting fluid (that's basically what Lumina and Kami fluids are) on my homemade holder using the inverted method (air gap from from scanner surface due to mount, then acetate film, then a layer of fluid, then neg, then another layer of fluid, then a glass sheet that supports the neg on the holder). Works a treat. Main difference in the mounting fluid is that art thinners are designed to evaporate more slowly, so I need to stick the films on a radiator to dry for 10 mins. Seems to have no damage or residue on them. Other people have also reported good success with this method.

Got the first roll from the GA645 scanned this evening. Wow, they are sharp images alright. Mostly taken on a walk through Oxford at lunch yesterday. Acros 100, developed in 1+50 Rodinal
20140124003652_scan-140123-0003.jpg

20140124003723_scan-140123-0007.jpg

20140124003759_scan-140123-0009.jpg

Got the first roll from the GA645 scanned this evening. Wow, they are sharp images alright. Mostly taken on a walk through Oxford at lunch yesterday. Acros 100, developed in 1+50 Rodinal

Wow, I do not know if your first photograph was planned or not,but,it is superb. The foreground focal point of that lovely lady,counter balanced by the statue on the roof is brilliant and then to have that lead the eye into what can only be described as wonderful architecture makes for me a great,yes GREAT photograph,I love it.(just clone out those double yellow lines :) ) Thank you for sharing.

Stop it...I can't have a GA645 as well. Lovely images.

Nice results from your GA645.(y)

I can say from experience that the 60mm lens on these cameras is superb.

Those are really nice images. The pretty lady looks a little annoyed being in the photo.

Snow after the ice storm.

Two or three days after the ice storm that knocked our power out we got about 5 inches of snow. Not much snow, but on top of the ice laden trees it made sure our power stayed off with the broken limbs and trees.

EOS 1V-HS Kodak gold 100 from 2009. I keep it in the freezer. Shot at ASA 64

Click for full size (I think)

It warmed up to about 12F to18F and the boys were enjoying the warm sun
Dudley

Maxwell

Wow Ron, makes us feel positively balmy at 5 degrees C (41 F?). Looks like you could keep your expired film outside just now! I haveto say, neither Dudley nor Maxwell look totally impressed... but the shots came out very well.

Thanks!

The V750 has a holder that lets you do wet scanning, but you've to do a homemade holder to do so on the v500. I'm doing it on the cheap - I'm using testors odourless mineral spirits from the art shop as mounting fluid (that's basically what Lumina and Kami fluids are) on my homemade holder using the inverted method (air gap from from scanner surface due to mount, then acetate film, then a layer of fluid, then neg, then another layer of fluid, then a glass sheet that supports the neg on the holder). Works a treat. Main difference in the mounting fluid is that art thinners are designed to evaporate more slowly, so I need to stick the films on a radiator to dry for 10 mins. Seems to have no damage or residue on them. Other people have also reported good success with this method.

Interesting, thanks for the explanation.

Snow after the ice storm.

Two or three days after the ice storm that knocked our power out we got about 5 inches of snow. Not much snow, but on top of the ice laden trees it made sure our power stayed off with the broken limbs and trees.

EOS 1V-HS Kodak gold 100 from 2009. I keep it in the freezer. Shot at ASA 64

Click for full size (I think)

It warmed up to about 12F to18F and the boys were enjoying the warm sun
Dudley

Maxwell

Wow, incredible shots Ron!

I'd love to say this shot was taken with an Xpan, but it wasn't. Somehow I ended up with half a frame on my 501C. It was the first shot on the film so maybe I didn't line up the start arrows properly. After initially rejecting it, I cropped it to 'Xpan format' which probably suits this shot better than square anyway. I've always wanted an Xpan but then if you think about it an Xpan negative is 24x65mm and a negative from my 501C is 60x60mm so the cropped image is only marginally smaller than it would have been if it had been taken on an Xpan.
Anyway, taken with Hasselblad 501C, Sonnar 150mm, Velvia 50
Home processed in Tetenal E6 kit.

Somerset Hills
by Cariadus, on Flickr

I'd love to say this shot was taken with an Xpan, but it wasn't. Somehow I ended up with half a frame on my 501C. It was the first shot on the film so maybe I didn't line up the start arrows properly. After initially rejecting it, I cropped it to 'Xpan format' which probably suits this shot better than square anyway. I've always wanted an Xpan but then if you think about it an Xpan negative is 24x65mm and a negative from my 501C is 60x60mm so the cropped image is only marginally smaller than it would have been if it had been taken on an Xpan.
Anyway, taken with Hasselblad 501C, Sonnar 150mm, Velvia 50
Home processed in Tetenal E6 kit.

Somerset Hills
by Cariadus, on Flickr

Nice image Roger....

I always love this type of shot Roger, with the light rays streaming through. I never seem to be at the right place at the right time.

That pano crop has worked really well, Roger. That's the Somerset hills... as seen from Wales across the Bristol Channel? I'm guessing it must be up near the Mendips, then; the Quantocks and Brendon Hills would be too far away.

Back