Show us yer film shots then!

Big thanks to Andy (@Andysnap ) for a really lovely Rolleicord Va II, haven't quite worked the age out yet, it's either late 1959 or early 1960.
I had a very busy day yesterday being the taxi driver and 'gofer' for my teenage daughter! I was keen to try oput the Rolleicord though and while fulfilling that duty I grabbed the odd shot to try out the Rollei. The film was Shanghai GP3 and I dev'd it is some probably passed its best LC29 @1-19. Being particularly time poor this weekend I didn't give the development or subsequent scanning the attention I usually employ, indeed I was quite hasty and haphazard in the whole endeavor. Given these were just random grab shots while performing parental duties, I was very pleased with the camera and pleasantly surprised by the GP3!

15259685230_a03d9199b0_c.jpg

15259620630_9218fb7b78_c.jpg

15423241626_3f46d14ae0_c.jpg

15446338675_03b49a3771_c.jpg

15423231646_f5775b133c_c.jpg
Love this shoot - not just because I'm a Norwich boi, but you probably know by now - it's just the sort of imagery that I love.

C
Love this shoot - not just because I'm a Norwich boi, but you probably know by now - it's just the sort of imagery that I love.
Cheers Paul, much appreciated. I have lived around the UK, but have been in Norfolk for the last decade. I love the City of Norwich, to me it has the feel of a continental city in many respects. It is also a great place to make images!

Underground Deputy testing for gas, shot on Portra 400 - 120 film.

Mart, you have been putting up an outstanding series of shots recently. I am truly amazed. And the thing I really like is their really strong sense of style (not to mention of course the sheer skill and hardship involved in getting them). Great stuff!

Mart, you have been putting up an outstanding series of shots recently. I am truly amazed. And the thing I really like is their really strong sense of style (not to mention of course the sheer skill and hardship involved in getting them). Great stuff!

Chris,

Thanks very much for your kind words, I'm glad you like them!
I've traveled quite a few miles underground over the years and none of these images have ever been seen much outside the industry, so I thought I would share a few with you all.

Cheers Mart.

I'll second that! They've been outstanding contributions, thanks for sharing them Mart!

first go with fomapan, they all came out woefully underexposed which was odd, i can normally get close. But they were recoverable. Anyway, thought id leave them a bit tatty and one or two looked cool as a negative. Anyway, 5x4 Fomapan 200, R09 for 9 mins constant agitation in a CPE-2

first go with fomapan, they all came out woefully underexposed which was odd, i can normally get close. But they were recoverable. Anyway, thought id leave them a bit tatty and one or two looked cool as a negative. Anyway, 5x4 Fomapan 200, R09 for 9 mins constant agitation in a CPE-2

the negs are pretty cool. I've had better results rating at 50 in rodinal, and remember the reciprocity for foma films is massive, 15s ends up at 2.5 minutes!

Got a roll of Ektar 100 back in the post yesterday, and when I got home from work I couldn't get them in the scanner quick enough! I actually went to Clevedon to get some shots of the pier, but I've been trying to force myself to look at the small details rather than big views lately, so I stopped for a few minutes and took a couple photos of this padlock. Based on my notes I took at the time, I think this one was shot at f/8 at 1/30 sec...

Clevedon Padlock by Carl Hall Photography, on Flickr

Writing down the settings is something I need to start doing so I can learn what each setting produces rather than making a guesstimate.

When I first started using film earlier this year I used a small notebook and pen, but now I just use the notes app on my iphone, which is really convenient as I alreay have the phone in my hand from using it as a light meter haha.

Writing down the settings is something I need to start doing so I can learn what each setting produces rather than making a guesstimate.

It comes in handy at times however it can become an "obstacle" depending how much info you chose to record.
I made a radical change to the notes i keep and now simply state film, camera, date, developer on thé négative sleeves. The time that i had been spending writing up notes is now spent shooting instead!

Too lazy, too much hassle to try and record stuff. I just like to be free to photograph as and when I see a subject. I don't even bother much with a light meter. B/W film is quite forgiving fortunately.

When I first started using film earlier this year I used a small notebook and pen, but now I just use the notes app on my iphone, which is really convenient as I alreay have the phone in my hand from using it as a light meter haha.

I highly recommend the photoexif app for iPhones for keeping track of exposures and other information (e.g., location, time, lens, camera). It's quick, easy, and allows you to add all of the information to the photos as exif data later on using the free corresponding desktop app.

15280251760_8cfbdfb1d4_h.jpg

All of the boys and girls ... and their mothers - love a Canikon DSLR! Tourists in Cambridge. Bronica SQ-A / Hp5 / R09. Cropped and stitched in Gimp open source. I'm always amazed how the DSLR has been marketed so successfully - far more so than any 35mm film SLR ever was. Despite the threat of the phone and pad cams, you see absolutely hoards of black plastic DSLR cameras on a trip to London or Cambridge. How long will this trend continue for?

Reactions: Jao
Like the image Paul however just come back from Tenerife and I think I only saw less than a 10 DSLR cameras, loads of compacts, m4/3 and phones.

I'm always amazed how the DSLR has been marketed so successfully - far more so than any 35mm film SLR ever was.

DSLR's are a product in the age of the Internet, the way images are shared has completely changed since the days where film was the only option and so has the way products are marketed. Taking that further, look at how much hype there's been about 4/3rds and CSC's lately. It's no surprise at all to me that digital cameras are so widespread now compared to 35mm SLR's in the days of yesteryear, in fact I'd be very surprised if that wasn't the case.

Nice images again by the way. :)

Last edited:
Mart, the colours and vivid feel of all your images are early quite excellent!

Thanks Adrian,
I scan all of my images on an old Umax Powerlook 2 scanner which I still think is one of the best around even after owning it now for a good number of years. Its not the easiest of scanners to use but the results suit me!
Mart.

Oh dear oh dear I do like those. Maybe I should teach my browser a lesson?

Film/camera, btw?

Gosh Osh that is very nice

Reactions: osh
That's beautiful!

Super shot Osh, love it.

Andy

Ok Osh has returned to remind us that superb images can be captured on film .......the rest of us ( well me at least)! may as well hibernate :p.............................actually that sounds quite appealing:D:D

Some lovely shots being posted latey.

Just waiting for film back from my recent Lisbon trip, then I'll post some again.

Hi All,

Recently got an Olympus OM-10 and put a ilford FP4+ through it. Absolutely loved the whole process of film shooting and it has given birth to a passion! I now own an Olympus OM-1 and am currently shooting FP4+ in that too.

So here are my first film shots, hope its ok to post here? Maybe should start a intro thread but been reading this section for ages and feel familiar lol

Last edited:
Back