Show us yer film shots then!

Second one is excellent, Anthony; can't make up my mind about the first! :D

Super-wide 15mm and Fujicolor 200.

You've done really well there (IMO) at 200. Everything's so gloomy at the moment I'm struggling to get anything usable at 400 without a tripod. But with my shaky hands I wonder if even 1/125 is too slow...

You've done really well there (IMO) at 200. Everything's so gloomy at the moment I'm struggling to get anything usable at 400 without a tripod. But with my shaky hands I wonder if even 1/125 is too slow...

Thanks - this was about 1/60 I think, with the tram slowing down into the station.

You may remember that a couple of months ago I posted that a friend was wanting to sell a yashica 124g and I was confused over the varying costs. Fast forward to just before christmas and she's decided rather than fuss with selling it, she'd rather give it to someone who'll enjoy using it, so... here's a shot from my first outing with it, loaded with some FP4.

FP4yashica124g003 by Madison S, on Flickr

Interesting shots, but I hope that wasn't a lightsabre she had in the first one! (y)

Gave one of my two British 'Ensign Selfix 16/20 Model 1 1953 era cFrom the Alley.jpgHigh Street ( Ensign).jpgRed Jar.jpgameras a trip out loaded with a cut length of 2006 dated Konica VX 400 Pro. I rated it at 250 ASA as it was 'old' and home-processed in a new mix of C41 but I still got 'scan lines' even though I have cleaned glass of my Epson 2480 Flatbed both top and underneath. Also on some shots I got 'back focus' where distance BEHIND principal subject was sharper. Next time I will try the other Selfix -- I got good results on B&W in Berlin.

Gave one of my two British 'Ensign Selfix 16/20 Model 1 1953 era cView attachment 234649View attachment 234650View attachment 234651ameras a trip out loaded with a cut length of 2006 dated Konica VX 400 Pro. I rated it at 250 ASA as it was 'old' and home-processed in a new mix of C41 but I still got 'scan lines' even though I have cleaned glass of my Epson 2480 Flatbed both top and underneath. Also on some shots I got 'back focus' where distance BEHIND principal subject was sharper. Next time I will try the other Selfix -- I got good results on B&W in Berlin.

Hi Pete - Assuming those lines are not on your negatives, this could indicate a calibration problem with the scanner. This can be due to hardware (dust on the scanning head itself), a physical problem (the scanning head or even the negative holder being misaligned), or a software issue (bad driver etc.)

The easiest thing to test is that the negative holder or other physical item wasn't blocking something that the scanner uses to calibrate itself. My Epson v550 throws a fit if the holder isn't fitted properly.

Next try reinstalling the scanner driver. There may be a new one available online. Reinstalling whatever scanning software you use could also help.

Finally, if that doesn't help you may need to open up the scanner and give the scanning head a blast with some compressed air.

Edit: I had loads of issues with lines and weird colours on my v550, to the point where I was about to chuck it in the bin, and it ended up being simply due to using a third party negative holder (the Lomo Digitaliza) which I wasn't aligning properly on the glass. Something was interfering/blocking calibration. I swapped back to the Epson holders and it's as good as gold. Still need to figure out what's going on with the other holder, as I much prefer it, but at least the scanner is sorted out.

Last edited:
Thanks for those ideas -- I use Vuescan Professional and get free updates -- I WON it FREE on a Forum years ago. Vuescan 'Finds' the scanner OK without having to upload a 'Driver' -- I had a look inside at the moving scan head without undoing it -- could not see any 'Dust' . Funnily enough the Epson 2480 which I got on a Freecycle Forum did not come with negative holders --- bloke said it belonged to his Niece -- so I use the 'Home-Made Cardboard Masks' that I used with the Epson 1650 which no longer works due to broken electric somewhere and I have to move the 'hole down further or it will not 'find' it ( Medium Format but for 35mm I have the Plastic Holder from 1650). I took a neg to a mate from Club and HE scanned with his posh Epson V500 and there were NO scan lines.

Thanks for those ideas -- I use Vuescan Professional and get free updates -- I WON it FREE on a Forum years ago. Vuescan 'Finds' the scanner OK without having to upload a 'Driver' -- I had a look inside at the moving scan head without undoing it -- could not see any 'Dust' . Funnily enough the Epson 2480 which I got on a Freecycle Forum did not come with negative holders --- bloke said it belonged to his Niece -- so I use the 'Home-Made Cardboard Masks' that I used with the Epson 1650 which no longer works due to broken electric somewhere and I have to move the 'hole down further or it will not 'find' it ( Medium Format but for 35mm I have the Plastic Holder from 1650). I took a neg to a mate from Club and HE scanned with his posh Epson V500 and there were NO scan lines.

I'll bet it's something to do with the negative holder. Here's an idea: try placing the negative directly on the glass and see if you still get the lines. I know you may get newton rings and poor sharpness etc. but at least you'll know if it's the holder causing the problems. If it doesn't work first time, try moving the negative around a little on the glass to reproduce where it should have been with the 'real' holder.

Edit: Vuescan should provide the driver, so it's probably not a software issue.

Last edited:
A few from a trip to London just before Christmas.

Nikon FG, 50mm E Series pancake lens on Agfa Vista 400 film.
Food by Andy, on Flickr

Horses by Andy, on Flickr

Woodwork by Andy, on Flickr

A few recent shots...

1401_028 copy.jpg
Maxwell giving me the evil eye
Canon 50e, 85 mm lens, Kodak 200-8
1405_001 copy.jpg
Nic and his scar following a hit and run (almost).
Canon 50e, 50mm/1.8 lens, Kentmere 400
Lit by the mother of all beauty dishes!
1401_029 copy.jpg
Canon 50e, 50mm/1.8, Kodak 200-8
Lit with my new Yongnuo YN14EX ring flash

Here is the MOTHER OF ALL BEAUTY DISHES...
img_9470_copy-jpg.234684

:wideyed: Impressive but I think I'll stick with daylight portraits…….The sun takes up less space in my home and I don't need to plug it in! :D

Wow, what an interesting place to visit. Was that a holiday or business trip? I'd love to hear more about it.
Holiday, 4 nights ex-Beijing on an organised trip (which is really the only possible way of doing it); as unusual and contradictory as expected, highly recommended if that sort of thing is of interest. Happy to give more detail if you want to PM.

You may remember that a couple of months ago I posted that a friend was wanting to sell a yashica 124g and I was confused over the varying costs. Fast forward to just before christmas and she's decided rather than fuss with selling it, she'd rather give it to someone who'll enjoy using it, so... here's a shot from my first outing with it, loaded with some FP4.

FP4yashica124g003 by Madison S, on Flickr
Beautifully simple and very appealing

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Beautiful second photograph Andy, I really like the composition.(y)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Beautiful second photograph Andy, I really like the composition.(y)

Thanks Richard. If it wasnt for the muddy patch on the LHS I'd be very happy with this, I actually took it because I noticed the bunch of flowers laid on the rock in the middle of the shot but they didn't come out as well as I'd hoped.

Good shots Andy, new year's day was lovely in the Lakes wasn't it, we were up around Brother's water

More time up at Marbury. This time with unfiltered SFX. Scouting the place for good composition and good lighting.

Marbury
by Ian, on Flickr

Just posted these in the film portraits thread before I remembered this thread was here :)

A few of my recent portraits - all home developed and shot on my RZ67 using either HP5+ or Portra400 - there's one of my first ever test shots with the Chroma too (cheers @stevelmx5 (y))

F9PGCXa.jpg

2bV9Ktr.jpg
Chroma - weird crop unfortunately due to uneven development as I had to use the taco method
CP8WFWW.jpg

AS0exTA.jpg

imMcVFV.jpg

xrguxYn.jpg

Just posted these in the film portraits thread before I remembered this thread was here :)

A few of my recent portraits - all home developed and shot on my RZ67 using either HP5+ or Portra400 - there's one of my first ever test shots with the Chroma too (cheers @stevelmx5 (y))

F9PGCXa.jpg

2bV9Ktr.jpg
Chroma - weird crop unfortunately due to uneven development as I had to use the taco method
CP8WFWW.jpg

AS0exTA.jpg

imMcVFV.jpg

xrguxYn.jpg

All awesome results there Mike. It's great seeing your Chroma being used in the studio :0)

F9PGCXa.jpg

2bV9Ktr.jpg
CP8WFWW.jpg

AS0exTA.jpg

imMcVFV.jpg

xrguxYn.jpg

A lovely and technically excellent set Mike. I actually like the crop from the Chroma shot, it suits the sitters position very well. I also very much like the black and white shots and I am extremely jealous of your lighting set up, I am really useless at lighting which is why most of my portraits are done outside. :D

A lovely and technically excellent set Mike. I actually like the crop from the Chroma shot, it suits the sitters position very well. I also very much like the black and white shots and I am extremely jealous of your lighting set up, I am really useless at lighting which is why most of my portraits are done outside. :D

Thanks Andy (y) If I'm totally honest, I'm a sucker for shadows so I find I usually tend to go for a really simple, single light setup in large octabox & only really add in a little edge lighting if I need separation - looks good but is really very easy to do :)

Back