Show us yer film shots then!

Commi Cosmic 35m kentmere 400, I think on really bright days the max shutter speed of 250th results in slight over exposure. For this photo I tried at least to stand slightly in the shade but I think the house and sky are just a little too much Itoned it down a little in post but it's still not quite right !

MANOR.JPG

Last edited:
Commi Cosmic 35m kentmere 400, I think on really bright days the max shutter speed of 250th results in slight over exposure. For this photo I tried at least to stand slightly in the shade but I think the house and sky are just a little too much.

View attachment 239443
What about holding a filter in front of the lens, since that should help with the sky as well? A yellow will take 1 stop and an orange maybe 1.5 or 2 stops. OTOH, the exposure has given you a lot of detail in the foreground, whereas pointing the camera more at the sky would have darkened the foreground and lost some detail.

Last edited:
I had to read that a couple of times before I understood what you were getting at Peter. The Cosmic 35m has no meter, the aperture is set when you dial in the film speed, f16 at the max of 320 ASA,F11 at 200 ASA then the camera has symbols depicting weather conditions Bright sun 1-250th hazy sun 1-125th and as low as I dare to go cloudy 1-60th (the theoretical shutter speeds are also displayed at the bottom of the lens ) it also goes 30th and 15th +B you can of course cheat it a little by opening up the aperture to help you to keep shutter speed up . The camera is very much like the more common Cosmic/Smena Symbol with a slightly different shutter setup.
The max ASA being 320 and the fact that I think the shutter speeds are a bit low mean that 400ASA film is too fast in really bright light (I also use an earlier 1960's Cosmic 35 which seems to have the same problem) As I really like these simple cameras by Lomo (Leningrad optical mechanical association) I have come up with the master plan of collecting a couple more of the variants until I have 4 of them, then load them with 100 speed and 400 speed in both colour and black and white then take them out to match the weather. It gives me an excuse anyway ! It may be worth me getting a couple of filters as you pointed out Peter to help me out should I get caught out in bright light and also experiment with the skies.

Last edited:
Afternoon all!

So following a fantastic trip to the lake district a few weeks ago, I've finally got my LF frames back from peak and had a go at editing them. We did two sunrises during the week and got a few shots from each :) Hope you like them!

The first early morning attempt:

Sunrise on the Fells by Jonathan Woods, on Flickr

and the second morning attempt:

Derwent Water Sunrise by Jonathan Woods, on Flickr

We had an unprecedented spell of weather this week. It was bright and sunny from Sunday morning to Wednesday evening, and at it's warmest was 18 C, in late February!! We tried to take full advantage of this :D

Last edited:
Afternoon all!

So following a fantastic trip to the lake district a few weeks ago, I've finally got my LF frames back from peak and had a go at editing them. We did two sunrises during the week and got a few shots from each :) Hope you like them!

We had an unprecedented spell of weather this week. It was bright and sunny from Sunday morning to Wednesday evening, and at it's warmest was 18 C, in late February!! We tried to take full advantage of this :D

That second one for me is stunning. Clicked through to Flickr for a bigger look! Love it. (must not buy a large format)

Not sure if it's my imagination or not, but the Derwent Water one seems to look more blue on Flickr, possibly because it's a dark surround on there? Both fine shots that deserve to be viewed larger on Flickr for full effect. (y)

That second one for me is stunning. Clicked through to Flickr for a bigger look! Love it. (must not buy a large format)
Many thanks chap! (And also, you really should :D)

Not sure if it's my imagination or not, but the Derwent Water one seems to look more blue on Flickr, possibly because it's a dark surround on there? Both fine shots that deserve to be viewed larger on Flickr for full effect. (y)
Many thanks Peter. Actually, I see what you mean. I'm not sure if flickr do any form of re-compression or alike when resizing images for different BBCodes? Either way, the effect, real or not, is at least faint :)

I love how the moon is just peeking out of the sky in that second shot @Woodsy (y)
I'm so glad someone noticed! I was very close to cloning it out in my initial dust removal attempt, as I mistook it for a water mark from developing. It was only when I saw the reflection in the water that I was convinced as to what it was :D

A couple using a new-to-me Minolta 70-210mm f4 'beercan' lens. Both Minolta Dynax 5, T-Max 400, X-tol(r).
Our two new crazy rescue Whippets. @Fraser Euan White ...Here's your dog-pics ;)

33491003598_dea7e094d5_b.jpg

47367218971_a79aaea61d_b.jpg

Afternoon all!

Blimey. These are gorgeous. I'll bet those slides are mind-blowing on the light table :D

Those are lovely. They're very sharp too. What scanning method did you use, if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks Nige. They were both scanned with my Pakon and exported with standard sharpening.

The Minolta 'beercan' lens seems to be very good, and definitely lives up to it's hype. I'm really enjoying using the Dynax 5 too. It focusses quicker and more accurately than my Contax G1, and all the exposures on this roll were perfect, despite some awkward contrasty light. Really impressive for £15!...including lens ;)

Afternoon all!

Love the second one Woodsy, but they are both brilliant. Lovely reflection and the rays over the hills on the left. Congrats on the explore too ;)

I have a Dynax 5 AND that 'Beercan' given by a different person -- I don't like the fact that the camera back is 'Locked' until a film is finished. I want to open and CUT films ! There IS a method to open back but I found mostly it does not work.
Minolta Dynax 5 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
My 'Gift' MINOLTA Dynax 5 fitted with a Minolta AF Zoom 28-85mm f3.5-4.5 with 'macro' off my AF 7000 -- I have been out trying out this combination lately.
PS -- sorry about the DUST on the gear !! I didn't see it until it was too late -- I have now given it a good brushing!

Blimey. These are gorgeous. I'll bet those slides are mind-blowing on the light table :D
Love the second one Woodsy, but they are both brilliant. Lovely reflection and the rays over the hills on the left. Congrats on the explore too ;)

Thanks chaps! The Explore came as a bit of a surprise tbh, you never know how the beast that is flickr will respond to some photo.

It'd be great for your Thailand trip!

This. :D

I have a Dynax 5 AND that 'Beercan' given by a different person -- I don't like the fact that the camera back is 'Locked' until a film is finished. I want to open and CUT films ! There IS a method to open back but I found mostly it does not work.
Minolta Dynax 5 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
My 'Gift' MINOLTA Dynax 5 fitted with a Minolta AF Zoom 28-85mm f3.5-4.5 with 'macro' off my AF 7000 -- I have been out trying out this combination lately.
PS -- sorry about the DUST on the gear !! I didn't see it until it was too late -- I have now given it a good brushing!

Hi Pete - There's a manual rewind button on the back, and you can instruct the camera to leave the film tip out, which is useful for the home developers among us.

...Or do you mean you literally want to open the back while the film is still spooled in the camera?

FujiLove: I want to cut film while it is in camera. I used that 'Leave Leader Out' control and that worked !

FujiLove: I want to cut film while it is in camera. I used that 'Leave Leader Out' control and that worked !

Then I think you’re right; there no way to do that with a Dynax 5. I’m intrigued...Why do you want to cut the film while in-camera?

FujiLove: I cut films so a can develop quickly test lengths, then I attach a short 'leader' of waste film to the cut end with Sellotape and can re-load again.
Scrooge Film by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Last edited:
I got a roll of HP5+ processed and scanned that has been in my Sure Shot Telemax since October. As a result, apart from more recent stuff, I'd forgotten what most of the shots on the roll were, so I was pleasantly surprised to discover that there are loads on there that I'm happy with.

Here are a couple.

Canon Sure Shot Telemax
Ilford HP5+

FILM - Into mystery
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

FILM - Lamplight
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Back