Show us yer film shots then!

Finally got back in the darkroom after nearly 2 years out. Took a while to get started but I got into a pretty good flow towards the end of the session. Have another booked in 3 weeks.

Black and white are with Ilford MGIV RC, Colour is with Fuji Lustre. Camera wise, Leica M4 + 35 UC Hexanon and Nikon FM3a + 28/2.8 AIS.

5rSHtLk.jpg

OOExJnd.jpg

jKb96YK.jpg

b9BFNSi.jpg

YQiXTIi.jpg

Finally got back in the darkroom after nearly 2 years out. Took a while to get started but I got into a pretty good flow towards the end of the session. Have another booked in 3 weeks.

Black and white are with Ilford MGIV RC, Colour is with Fuji Lustre. Camera wise, Leica M4 + 35 UC Hexanon and Nikon FM3a + 28/2.8 AIS.

5rSHtLk.jpg

OOExJnd.jpg

jKb96YK.jpg

b9BFNSi.jpg

YQiXTIi.jpg
Absolutely love the second one!!

It's The Vessel in NYC isn't it? I stood at it's base last year and fancied climbing it, but I didn't want to subject my family to yet another long wait while I sought a photo op. :) :(
Indeed it is! Spent a good half hour up there before the wind chill got the best of me.

Absolutely love the second one!!

Thanks Asha, I printed this on some Ilford 8x10 with dubious provenance (was a freebie I got years ago with a camera purchase), next time I’m in the darkroom I’ll be using a fresh sheet of 11x14 for it now that I have a fair idea of the neg.

Well in photography we all know you need a bit of luck esp for scenery..I suppose if you were a diehard you could camp out at a chosen spot from morning till night 365 days a year to get the shot you want, but it might take years before you get the sun in a certain spot. :eek: Many times there was a beautiful sunset and I was in the wrong place at the time :(
Anyway there is a boring lake near me, but use the right lens, film and the right time of day and it becomes interesting and these are some of my shots (can't remember if I've posted some before) and you might agree i.e. more interesting.
Ips57gR.jpg

ROvLRba.jpg

wCXPQ0h.jpg

Well in photography we all know you need a bit of luck esp for scenery..I suppose if you were a diehard you could camp out at a chosen spot from morning till night 365 days a year to get the shot you want, but it might take years before you get the sun in a certain spot. :eek: Many times there was a beautiful sunset and I was in the wrong place at the time :(
Anyway there is a boring lake near me, but use the right lens, film and the right time of day and it becomes interesting and these are some of my shots (can't remember if I've posted some before) and you might agree i.e. more interesting.
Ips57gR.jpg

The first one, with the still waters, is the one I like best. Nice reflections of the trees and clouds in the water, and I like that single ripple.

The first one, with the still waters, is the one I like best. Nice reflections of the trees and clouds in the water, and I like that single ripple.

Thanks I've got quite a few similar shots over the years with different lenses and I go past the lake on my bike quite often and usually the only thing of interest is throwing some bread to the ducks :D

Wondering what to shoot? Pond weed can be interesting e.g. you could set the shutter on slow speed or capture dragon\damsel flies setling on flowers etc Unfortunately for me my best shots were on a camera that let me down and only have one F4 kit zoom shot ...but have plenty taken years ago, anyway it's an idea.
5RaZJRq.jpg

You must have taken the shot a while back or very early in the morning etc as they are open now (well where I live) .....a record shot of the pandemic ;)

It was about three weeks ago. Not sure if its open or not - I don't live there or pass through often - but the photo was made at around 6pm on a Sunday, so it would definitely have been shut then. :)

Toyo 45G, homemade 200mm (5 dioptre?) meniscus lens, funky star shaped diaphragm (not that you can tell), Fomapan 100.It's a bit soft, like a Holga shot. Oops! Naughty word, wash my mouth out.
1519_003.jpg

Well I would like to know the difference between Windermere, Esthwaite and Derwent water..... swans :exit:

Well I would like to know the difference between Windermere, Esthwaite and Derwent water..... swans :exit:
Obviously Windermere swans are bigger than Esthwaite swans and Derwent water swans are the smallest

Ah! I didn't make the lens,I bought from someone on ebay similar to this link:

I didn't entirely make the mount either. A found a projector(?) lens barrel about the right inside diameter and glued the lens into it at the front of the barrel. Then I made an mdf lens board for my Calumet camera (4" square) and glued the barrel on. I made some waterhouse type stops out of black card and a slide in mount for the back of the lens. I have a home made adapter to mount 4" boards onto my Toyo 45G and used the Toyo to take the pictures because the ground glass is clearer than the Calumet. Good fun and dead educational, but a lot of work just for a few experimental shots. I'm amazed it works at all. Looks like I was a bit out with the calculation of f stops for the waterhouse stops but not too far off.

I should try the lens out in the field but the nearest camera I have to a field camera, the Brand, which accepts 4" boards also, surprisingly doesn't have enough bellows compression to accomodate the lens. That's because I should have positioned the lens further towards the back of the barrel. The Toyo has very thin bellows so the lens worked OK on it.

What I must also try is a portrait with the lens, it should give me an interesting effect.

I'll post a photo of the lens today some time.

Is there a typo re Rickenon F1.2 /50mm?
No. So far as I'm aware it's the fastest lens ever made for the M42 screw mount. Part of the rear element was cut away to allow the Pentax / Praktica aperture actuation pin to be sited in the correct position. Here it is...

Pentax Spotmatic with Rikenon f1-2 lens Nikon F 1996-20_23.jpg

Last edited:
No. So far as I'm aware it's the fastest lens ever made for the M42 screw mount. Part of the rear element was cut away to allow the Pentax / Praktica aperture actuation pin to be sited in the correct position. Here it is...

View attachment 288686

It's just that I can only find 55mm f1.2....if M42 50mm f1.2 you might have a rare valuable lens.

A couple here from my 3rd roll of film (I still don't really know what I'm doing) which was Fuji Superior 400. From the scan results I think I prefer Kodak's Colour Plus . Also I feel like my compositions were off for pretty much all of my photos which was a little disheartening. Never the less I'll still share a few.

000084010002.jpg

Here are a couple of what I thought were odd ones. A random loo seat and a odd building entrance.

000084010030.jpg

000084010036.jpg

Much more practice required I think.

Out with my Pentax SF-7 that I was kindly sent free by a member of www.pentaxuser.com loaded with 02/2016 kodak BW400CN 'Chromogenic' film kindly given by a Fellow 'FLICKR' and Brentwood Photographic Club member who got it in a Boot Sale. Not sure how it had been stored but it came out more 'Grainy' than Ilford XP2400 super
SMC -Pentax-F Zoom 35-70mm f3.5-4.5
SF-7 Kodak 400 01 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
SF-7 Kodak 400 02 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
SF-7 Kodak 400 04 by Peter Elgar, on Flickr
Pentax SF-7 body by Peter Elgar, on Flickr

Last edited:
Please tell us more, how does one go about making a meniscus lens?
Finally got round to photographing the meniscus lens. I wrongly said it was 5 dioptre (200 mm) lens but actually it is 5.5 dioptre (180 mm). Maximum aperture f3.8. These parameters were as much be accident as design. Crikey, it looks dusty!
IMG_2134.jpg
The lens is mounted on homemade 4" lens board, not using the flange but by a locking rear to the rear.

Here is the back view with a selection of waterhouse type stops, including silly shapes. I had to mount the stops at the back of the lens which I don't think is the best position for the silly shapes.

IMG_2136.jpg

I developed a roll of Afra APX 100 in DD-X recently. Curiously, while some of the shots exhibit little grain, others look like they were shot on Delta 3200 or something. Now, I don't mind this look, but I'm curious as tot the reason it's inconsistent.

It could easily a result of my scanning rather than the film / developing but I don't have a light-table or loupe to examine the negs to check.

Canon Sure Shot Supreme
Agfa APX 100
Ilfotec DD-X 1+4 10.5mins @ 20°

Out near Emley Moor
by fishyfish_arcade, on Flickr

Chroma Large Format Camera, Schneider Kreuznach 90mm f5.6 lens on Kodak Ektar 100
Converted to b and w because I accidently slightly opened the dark slide before loading it into the camera and it messed up the colours.

Garden 1 by Andy, on Flickr

Back