Show us yer "Hooley'd" film shots then!

Nothing to actually show just yet but I think this still counts..

I'm in the states at the moment and still jet lagged. Woke up early and went out for breakfast. It was raining, so when I saw the stereotypical American diner, lit up with neon, customers backlit in the window and lights reflected from the wet asphalt, I knew I had the perfect USA scene. Portra's not as saturated as ektar, but it was loaded and will do. Out with the ga645, brace carefully on a "trash can" for the 2 second exposure in the pre-dawn light. Two shots to be sure, then a run over the street into the dry for some celebratory waffles. Take the camera back out to dry it and the lens cap was on the whole time.

Bugger

I'm in the states at the moment and still jet lagged. Woke up early and went out for breakfast. It was raining, so when I saw the stereotypical American diner, lit up with neon, customers backlit in the window and lights reflected from the wet asphalt, I knew I had the perfect USA scene. Portra's not as saturated as ektar, but it was loaded and will do. Out with the ga645, brace carefully on a "trash can" for the 2 second exposure in the pre-dawn light. Two shots to be sure, then a run over the street into the dry for some celebratory waffles. Take the camera back out to dry it and the lens cap was on the whole time.

Bugger

Oh man, I empathise. To prevent this, I tried to always use the lens hood with my GA645 as the lens cap and hood can't be on at the same time.

Bugger
I feel your pain, reminded me of this...

Been there, done that, worn the 'I Am Stupid' t-shirt.

The P&S cameras seem to have solved it as many won't work unless the lens is uncovered. :cool:

Folders are the way to go, then you only need to remember to focus when you're taking the shot... damhik

Folders are the way to go, then you only need to remember to focus when you're taking the shot... damhik

Yes, nobody could possibly forget to change the focus from 5ft to infinity...oh, erm...

I have an entire roll (and the only roll) of shots of the Acropolis (I nearly wrote Apocalypse!) in about 1969 taken on my Werra 1 with the focus set at 5 feet throughout! Just a wee bit fuzzy...

Flocking Hell ! - What happens when you don't clear all the dust out of a Mamiya C220 TLR and then change lenses. Flocked negatives.

Note this is a close crop of the scan - about ½" square of the full 2¼" negative

View attachment 5386

Last edited:
not so much me hoolying it but a reason why you should never use snappy snaps.
They must leave it to dry horizontally so you get pools of crap sitting on the neg.

Having 'rediscovered' analogue photography in the last year or so, I've got one or two 'Hooleys' under my belt, this probably being my finest! Testing exposure settings in a pinhole converted Lomo Belair using the 6x12 mask, but forgetting to double count the frame spacing!

Lomography Belair pinhole mx by NigelLee, on Flickr

Hey Nigel that's really rather spesh!

Thanks, Chris! Frustratingly, messing up seems to come far too naturally to me, so come World Pinhole Photography Day (which the above was a rehearsal for), I got it completely wrong and managed just two usable frames from a roll of 120, the rest being woefully underexposed (they were perfectly spaced though lol)

I'd forgotten about this thread... didn't want to add to the particular Hooley thread that was recently started, but thought I should record my own version. I think this deserves at least a 7 on the Hooley scale, as the image is not usable at all. What you can't see are the images, 8 or 9 on the Hooley scale that were so bad I didn't even bother to scan them. This was the result of getting something wrong in attaching the film leader to the Agfa Rondinax 35 wind-in strap. The result was increasingly stiff winding onto the spiral. Instead of just cutting the film with the built-in guillotine and doing the rest another time (it would still be in the canister, and I'd only have lost one frame), I decided to keep winding as much as I could using ever increasing force. What I didn't realise was that the film had got out of the guides and I was making things worse. When I finally opened the tank for washing, it was clear that most of the outside frames had not developed properly or at all. So, ta-da:

Ok, so mine would only count as minor hooleying I think.
Out and about in Taunton, I'm happily firing away with my rb67. A roll of delta 400 in one back, fp4 in the other. I'm getting some photos I think I'm going to like, including one of a homeless bearded guy playing a harp.
Come home, put both films in tanks and develop... I know what you're thinking, and no, this isn't the stage I fluffed up.

Upon pulling out the films, I see one film has 2 shots on it, the other has 8. I spend the next two days worrying about the number of things that could be going wrong with my favourite bit of kit and then, out of the blue, it hits me... the rb67 lens has that little knob that means you need two cables, one to fire the mirror, the other the shutter... guess who'd turned that thing on one of the lenses without realising.

What a moron.

Since this thread has risen from the dead: :)

Not quite a Hooley, as I expected little else. The method followed was to take one roll of Experia 800 ISO, ensure it's at least six years out of date, expose at nominal ISO, develop in black and white chemistry, scan...

25874703464_5eed29251a_b.jpg

Ok, so mine would only count as minor hooleying I think.
Out and about in Taunton, I'm happily firing away with my rb67. A roll of delta 400 in one back, fp4 in the other. I'm getting some photos I think I'm going to like, including one of a homeless bearded guy playing a harp.
Come home, put both films in tanks and develop... I know what you're thinking, and no, this isn't the stage I fluffed up.

Upon pulling out the films, I see one film has 2 shots on it, the other has 8. I spend the next two days worrying about the number of things that could be going wrong with my favourite bit of kit and then, out of the blue, it hits me... the rb67 lens has that little knob that means you need two cables, one to fire the mirror, the other the shutter... guess who'd turned that thing on one of the lenses without realising.

What a moron.

Ooo I dunno, I mean its a fux up but, not owning an RB or being familiar with its nuances I gotta say that double cable release thing is a proper daft arsed carry on if yask me.
With that in mind, I can't squeak out much more than a snigger at your plight, cos its a stupid thing in the first place...:)

Aye, to be fair I've been caught out by that daft mechanism a few times. Most of my best photographs were never captured that way....

Well I'm going to get some wierd results in that I opened the back to put a film in one of my cameras and there was already a film in it that I forgot about and have no idea how many shots were taken so just advanced to about eight frames and will see what the results are like......what a newbie mistake :rolleyes:

I reckon I'll have a couple too after getting to shot 76 on the Pen FT while I was away I decided something was amiss! I had a feeling the film had never spooled on at all since I loaded it (which would be annoying as this was the last day) so opened the back and found the film looking like it was over halfway through but had slipped off the takeup spool by the looks of it. I quickly closed the back and rewound the film so I've got no idea how many actual shots I've got on it or how many multiple exposures there will be so I'll wait and see when it's processed!

Back