Show us your best shots from 35,000 feet!

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
* Do you ask for a window seat, even though it's the most cramped?
* Do you check the aircraft configuration before you fly, so you know which seats are over the wings and which have views?
* Do you work out which side of the plane will be away from the sun, so you don't have it in your eyes?
* On a long-haul flight, do you plan which movies to watch - or even when to sleep - based on when you'll be passing over interesting terrain?

You do? OK, let's see the results. I'd like to see your best shots taken as a passenger on a regular commercial flight only. I've nothing against flight crew, sightseeing flights or air force personnel - but this thread is for shots that Joe Public can take through those tiny, scratched, dirty, semi-transparent panes of perspex.

Here's a starter for ten: a couple of my favourites, which I took over the Bahamas in November 2006.

162921383-L.jpg
160560513-L.jpg

Now let's see yours.

(By the way, this one's had no post-processing apart from the usual minimal stuff: white balance, levels, sharpening, etc. I could see those colours through the viewfinder. Bonus points if you can work out how/why.)

n61309720_33105592_3523.jpg

n61309720_33105594_8590.jpg

Both taken over the alps during take off (naughty naughty) from Milan.

This was on the way to the US a few years ago :)

PICT0001.jpg

Here's mine, taken earlier this year with a Nikon Coolpix L11 prior to my DSLR days.

Sunset over the equator...

sunsetoverequator.jpg

Is it only me that gets the window that is scratched so much a shot out of it is near impossible then?

that's AWESOME.... im not lucky,,, i've never flown in the daylight shame on me. but this time i will arrange my flight to be in the daylight to get as good pics as yours.

really loved them.

My first ever flight was this year! These were from my second, the return trip from Southern Spain, over the Pyrenees ...

x2007_0625_202940.jpg
x2007_0625_203003.jpg

... and a little later on ...

x2007_0625_211933.jpg

Approaching Spain last year.:)

woolly-clouds.jpg

Taken a few years ago on a flight to Inverness.

Clouds.jpg

A Loch ? Don't know which or even if it is. It may be one of the lakes in Cumbria. :shrug:

Aloch.jpg

A Loch ? Don't know which or even if it is. It may be one of the lakes in Cumbria. :shrug:

th_Aloch.jpg
Ooh, that's interesting. I'm pretty certain it's not the Lake District - there aren't any straight lakes that have a settlement on the shore like that. But I can't work out where it is, even with the help of Google Earth...

Loch Ness?

I board a plane most weeks (Prague next week - followed by St. Petersburg and Chicago before the end of the month) but since the change in baggage allowance I haven't had my camera with me as my laptop bag is the only allowed in-cabin bag. My camera and lenses are in a Peli Case in the hold!!

It's so annoying that I'm awaiting deliver of a point and shoot today for just such an occasion.

And in case you wondered the restriction has nothing to do with security and everything to do with costy saveing (restricting the cabin baggage to avoid buying more xrays and hiring more security staff) :thumbsdown:

Not even close. Loch Ness is a little longer (24 miles in fact) ....

........and no glass to spoil my view :D

yup it is a bit bigger!
(nice pic)
btw - 35,000 feet - in your "machine"???

Unfortunately not. About 6,800ft is the highest I have been in my trans-county 'liner. ;)

yup!
this breathing lark is so habit-forming don't you think!

Anyone fancy doing some wing walking armed with their camera?!

Nice photos, Buttkicker, but I'd be willing to bet a large sum of money that none of them were taken from a regular commercial flight...

I'd like to see your best shots taken as a passenger on a regular commercial flight only. I've nothing against flight crew, sightseeing flights or air force personnel - but this thread is for shots that Joe Public can take through those tiny, scratched, dirty, semi-transparent panes of perspex.

Here's one from last week. We had a glorious view of the Lake District - that's Haweswater in the background and the Fairfield horseshoe in the foreground. I really wished I was down there on the hills, instead of being stuck on yet another boring business trip...

206767846-O.jpg

Taken by a very miffed off passenger after a 5 hour delay in tunisia on a casio exilim compact

CIMG0638Medium.jpg

CIMG0640Medium.jpg

Compact zoom is rubbish out of a plane window (well thats my excuse)

Not brilliant i know but still made took the edge off the delay, what a beautiful view that morning.

My first post, and just discovered this old thread. This is my effort from a few weeks ago, on the initial descent into Madrid in early morning light. Taken with a fairly old point-and-shoot (Canon IXUS 55), and came out noisier than I'd like, but I loved the mist hanging in the valleys. I'm doing that route again in a few weeks, so I'm hoping for some good light to try again with my 40D...

20081111-0005.jpg

Back