Shrewed or Fool ? Canon Black Zoom Lens 24-105mm Used Sold As Seen from e-bay charity shop " Unsure if works"

Name
George Edwards
Edit My Images
Yes
Well I have been after a Canon 24-105 L Lens for a while, and they have been around the £350 mark lowest, I know there are a lot around as they came out as a kit lens on the Canon 5D MK III a few years ago.

So I will let you know that yesterday I bid on, and won a lens on eBay from a charity shop, I know am I mad or what ??? Nice write up " Unsure if works, can be used for parts" Ho Hum, well here we go on our little adventure.

This morning I paid and asked the seller to cover the front lens in a soft cloth prior to posting, it does come with a soft case, but no front lens cover "eek". Delivery expected this Monday 24th.

You may say I am a fool, but the way I look at it, is that the charity is getting a good donation, I can afford it, the kids have long left home, I know charity's have been struggling during lock down, and I MAY be getting an immaculate, sharp lens. LOL.

They probably do not know if it works, as they have no camera to test it on, and may have no idea how to even zoom out the lens, but it does not look too bad in the pictures.

So will wait until Monday,
thanks George.

Screenshot 2021-05-19 at 07.54.22.pngScreenshot 2021-05-19 at 08.13.22.jpegScreenshot 2021-05-19 at 08.13.34.jpeg

Last edited:
From memory I recall the mk1 version had an issue with an interior ribbon cable becoming worn. Optically there is not a huge difference between the two versions. Fingers crossed for you.

Potential issues are ribbon cable failure and iris unit failure. Had it happen a couple of times for both. The other issue is if it has been dropped and the internal elements are misaligned. This isn't always immediately apparent from external pictures (the body and externals can
look clean), but if it is the case, the repair bill is usually uneconomical.

Good luck. A gamble can often be worth it if (like you) any loss can be dismissed if you get unlucky. (y)

Last edited:
Hope it works out for you.

Don't forget to update the thread! :D

Just a quick update, the lens arrived today, and it all works fine. Nice and smooth zoom, and all the switches function well. It actually came in a Sigma pouch and it looks like it has had a good life, no nicks or scrapes anywhere, even the lens mount is very smooth.
IS works and the AF is quick and responsive, took a few test shots and all looks well.
Just need a EW83-M lens hood and a 77 mm lens cap. I have found a hood for £10 on marketplace and a cap for £3 on marketplace, unless anyone knows of anywhere better/cheaper??
Will post a few results when it clears up a little.

Nice! I'm glad it worked out for you, and as you mentioned the charity benefit too. Win-win!

I've taken a gamble on a few lenses from MPB/Camera Jungle etc in the passed, lenses marked down as 'well used' or possibly having faults, but they were so cheap I took the chance - turned out they were what I'd deem to be good condition and worked perfectly fine.

That is a stroke of good fortune, well done :)

Back