ShrubMonkey's 52 for 2010 - "Poem & Poetry" - alternative added

Thanks for all the continued comments folks ;)

Think I get the message about the angle, I obviously have a unique taste for these type of angles.

Thanks for all the continued comments folks ;)

Think I get the message about the angle, I obviously have a unique taste for these type of angles.

hey - your 52 your rules - eh!

Have to agree on the angles does nothing for me and I am not a fan of HDR.

No doubt very clever processing and it does looking like a pencil drawing if that is the intention.

I like the angle but then I am a fan of angled shots, I might have darkened the buildings behind slightly while still keeping the detail to make the statue stand out more, but I think the image really suits the poem and the theme.

Thanks mate, I remember you not liking my wacky angle shots last year, glad you like em now :D

Due to the number of folks who don't dig my angles, here's a slight alternative

4279061497_57d8b5d54d_o.jpg

Absolutely love the PP, but I'm with the majority on the angle I'm afraid.
I'm very glad that you posted the alternative - far prefer that one (y) The detail of his face is clearer in this version too, giving it tons more impact.

Just one thing that was bugging me in the original and is even more obvious in the alternative . . . nothing at all to do with your shot . . . but is there a part missing from the statue?
The position of his hand looks like he should be holding something :shrug: maybe it's supposed to be like that, but it just looks a little bit odd.

Thanks Sarah, I can't decide which I like better, my wife now prefers the first, oh well.

No nothing missing from the hand, he is supposed to be in motion carrying the field gun wheel, so his free arm is just swinging free as it would do if you were trying to run with that thing :)

Fantastic - and I like the angle ;). The PP works really well. :clap::clap:

I prefer it to the second one which I find a bit more ordinary - including some of the background might have made it appeal more to me.

Fantastic - and I like the angle ;). The PP works really well. :clap::clap:

I prefer it to the second one which I find a bit more ordinary - including some of the background might have made it appeal more to me.

Thanks, I still prefer the first myself :)

For the 2nd shot I got down below the statue and shot up, so all the background was filled with washed out gray sky (it had been snowing), it's the naval buildings in the first that I wanted to include, as it gave the statue context, the angle giving the image an uneasy effect to reflect the task that he had to perform.

Hi Julian!
I love the week 1 picture - the colours and composition are superb! (y)

Week 2 isn't for me I'm afraid, but thats personal preference as I'm not a fan of squinty shots or lots of processing, but out of the two I prefer the composition of the first picture, as with the building in the background I think it has more context :)

Thanks Jenny, seems a few people do share my fondness for angles after all :)

Glad to hear your going to experiment too, have fun !

Hi Julian, just catching up with your thread. :)

Week 1: I didn't see the original version, but the edited one is a cracker. I love the contrasting colours and the graphic look. Terrific. (y)

Week 2: Ooo - that processing is fantastic. I llike the first version because the background puts it in the context of the Dockyard and all the history associated with it, but I also love the impact of the second version because it focuses on the Gunner and represents the poem so well. Two excellent versions! :clap:

Jean

I like both shots, but I think the first shot works really well - to be honest, I wasn't keen on the processing at first, but the more I look at it, the more I like it and think it suits the shot. I think including the buildings as background places the statue in context and I like the angle.

Love the first photo! Really nice abstract. Second one is quite nice too. The processing isn't really my cup of tea, but it's an interesting shot all the same.

(y) to a good start

woah poetry: the processing on that is insane! I've got to use photomatix more.. it's just sitting on my desktop doing nothing at the moment! I love it, and I think the angle really works! Love angled shots :)

Amazing shot, and I prefer the angled one.

I live in a minority though, so feel free to ignore me. :)

Great processing too.

Ian.

Wow, I really like that.
Almost looks real.
You have chose a very interesting angle, and it works so well for the shot!

Back