Shutter count - Canon 80D

Name
Kell
Edit My Images
Yes
What's the latest app that people are using for Shutter counts?

I'm looking to possibly sell my Canon 80D and while I used Canon Shutter Count - EOSCount in the past, it doesn't say that it supports that camera.

I tried emailling them but got no response. So, is this what people are still using? And if so, does anyone know for definite it will provide info for an 80D?

Thanks in advance.

Most cameras write shutter count to the EXIF data on each photo. So, most of the free counting apps and websites just scrape the count out of the image's metadata.

Starting with the Digic 6 processor in 2013, Canon stopped putting that data point into EXIF. Now the only way to get at that piece of data is through the same wifi connection path used by the Canon Connect application. And, as of about a year ago, the only software I could find that has solved that connection was the ShutterCount app. It's cheap but it's not free, and it only works on Mac and IOS. I added it to an IPad and it works fine.

80d_2_shutter_count_200731.jpg

Last edited:
Hi, Was looking for the same for my 70D and found the APT you can download a trial version and it will give you a shutter count, takes a little effort to read how to see the count but if I did it anyone can:p https://www.astrophotography.app/
The other option is the MagicLantern App it is free and gives you in the camera shutter count, I used it since the 600D and never had a problem with it..

Russ

try every free shutter count available and if all fail then you have to pay for one that lists the camera as included

canons are a PITA to get shutter count

I can't see anything in that PIE software that will display it.

Just tried it with both the 80D and the 5Diii and getting nothing.

Is it called something other than 'Shutter Count' ?
Yes, you have to use your imagination a bit. It's Image Count for Fujifilm for example. But those who have replied saying it's not in the EXIF should be listened to.

Most cameras write shutter count to the EXIF data on each photo. So, most of the free counting apps and websites just scrape the count out of the image's metadata.

Starting with the Digic 6 processor in 2013, Canon stopped putting that data point into EXIF. Now the only way to get at that piece of data is through the same wifi connection path used by the Canon Connect application. And, as of about a year ago, the only software I could find that has solved that connection was the ShutterCount app. It's cheap but it's not free, and it only works on Mac and IOS. I added it to an IPad and it works fine.

View attachment 304290

I'm not averse to paying for the software - in most cases I'd prefer to.

That looks good, but it would be more useful if they had a version that could be used on a PC.

Does anyone know if anything similar exists for Windows? I've tried googling, but I've only found ones that do it the old way for PC.

I might see if my daughter will let me download it to her Mac.

Last edited:
Back