Shutter Count

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a Canon 30D and was wondering how to find the shutter count, as I noticed, whilst taking "another" 1000 or so pictures at an ice hockey game yesterday that my image numbering went from IMG_9999 back to IMG_0001, so I am guessing that there's 10,000 clicks but how would if know if this had "been round the clock" before as I got the camera 2nd hand ? I have tried EOSinfo but dont think its compatible with the 30D's ?

I tried EOSinfo for my 400d I was selling but no joy, I checked my 40d and that worked. I know that the shutter only has a lifespan of so many thousand movements, but does it really matter when the camera is out of warranty?

I know that the shutter only has a lifespan of so many thousand movements

Its the above bit that worries me because my 2 sons play ice hockey on differrent teams and I take photos of both and each game I am racking up circa 1000 clicks - I was just wondering how long my camera is going to last at this rate ? :thinking:

The shutter doesn't suddenly stop when it hits a certain number. It could go for another 100,000 images or die on the next shot.. Just keep using it.

Is is possible to get the shutter replaced? As opposed to having to buy a new body? If so does this cost much? Many thanks!

The best way to check is to look at the number under the image you have taken. Unless you save them under a preset name.

Doesnt always work like that. If you've used different cards, gone round the clock etc etc.
My file numbers are miles off what the actual count is.

Is is possible to get the shutter replaced? As opposed to having to buy a new body? If so does this cost much? Many thanks!

Yes, last I heard was about £200, about the same as a 2nd hand 30D body, seems all shutters are about that price, better off getting a 1D next :)
Again there is no warranty (as such) on the replacement either, some fail early, some fail late. Snap away, stop worrying and enjoy using your camera.

Matt

OK I think the general theme is "stop worrying and get on with it" so thats exactly what I'll do - If anything happens, I'll post again, either asking where to get a new shutter or a new body (y)

Don't worry, the life they are rated for isn't what you will get. They can go another 100,000 or just die on you suddenly, I have used it as an indication of how much work the body has done when buying 2nd hand, but its like a lightbulb or a car some will last 100 years others will die when you need it most.

Chances are that by the time it fails you will already be ready for a new camera anyway.

Back