Shutter count?

Name
John
Edit My Images
No
Hi all,

So I just took delivery of my mint condition D300, and it definitely looks mint.
But when I took a photo (jpeg) and uploaded it to these shutter count websites, it's telling me it's:

So that's got me a bit worried - it comes with a 6 month warranty anyway from the company I purchased / part ex from.

How accurate are shutter counts? And how can someone even shoot that much on 1 camera? :(

Thanks.

Last edited:
Very accurate - & I'd be concerned enough to send it back

+1
Nikon's 'expected life count' for a D300 is 100,000 I believe so you could argue that a failure is overdue.

That's a serious happy snapping shutter count. As above I'd return it if there's nothing in the small print of the sale docs to say otherwise.

I dread to think what the actuations on my bodies are :eek: not something I overly worry about, if you've got a 6 month warranty it's your choice what you do, but it might be worth checking with the company who you got it from what that warranty covers as its conceivable that a shutter so far past specs might not be covered if that were the case I'd be tempted to return it if you can

Thanks all, it seems really strange, the camera is in mint condition, seriously it is like new. I don't understand how it looks like that but has that much of a shutter count o_O.

Do you think perhaps it may have had a shutter replacement just recently? I might look in the manual etc in case the previous owner wrote something down. If not then I'll contact the company and see what they advise. But like with anything I buy online, it's an absolute hassle to get replacements :( ah well.

Thanks.

Last edited:
It might but it's still a very well used camera, how was it described?

It might but it's still a very well used camera, how was it described?

See 'mint' in your 1st post, here is what grading should indicate:-

Second-hand Equipment Grading Description

MINT 100% as new
MINT- 98%-99% as new
EXC++ 95%-97% as new
EXC+ 90%-94% as new
EXC Original finish may have slight scratches or rubbed. No dents or deep scratches.
VG May be slightly scratched, scuffed or worn, but in good mechanical order with clean optics

6 month warranty, trader/shop I presume, you're perfectly entitled to send it back under distant selling regs then.

Well 'mint' doesn't indicate a camera with nearly 300,000 shutter count - who sold it?

Was purchased from Camera Jungle, and yep, was a brand new card and formatted when in camera.

Thanks.

Was purchased from Camera Jungle, and yep, was a brand new card and formatted when in camera.

Thanks.

Fair enough I've heard in the past where someone has just stuck their old card in and it's basically just carried on the shutter count from the figure the old camera was on :bang: doesn't sound like you've got that issue though

Thanks all for your advice - I'm just updating the firmware now in case it was an issue with this and will try again and let you know.

Thanks.

Shouldn't make any diffference
Last time I checked my D300 was on about 90,000 hate to think what it is now :eek: and I do use it a fair bit but looks wise it only has a few scrapes, nothing that couldn't be covered with some black paint

Fair enough I've heard in the past where someone has just stuck their old card in and it's basically just carried on the shutter count from the figure the old camera was on :bang: doesn't sound like you've got that issue though

I thought the most it would do it carry on the file numbering system count on the memory card or create a new folder with the number DSC_000x etc - I can't figure out why and how it would import the actual shutter actuation's from another camera?

The web tells me the D300 was announced in August 2007. I don't know when it was first available but counting from Aug 2007 until now a shutter count of 291,252 represents around 130 photos every day.

130 in a day is not a huge number, but every day for six years seems odd.

Dave

Thanks all for your advice - I'm just updating the firmware now in case it was an issue with this and will try again and let you know.

Thanks.

I thought when you update firmware that the shutter count returns to zero???

Also, the expected life of a D300 shutter is 150,000 clicks, if you look at MPB listings they include this figure in description/spec. How true this is I don't know.

Any shop that's put 'MINT' in its description of this camera should be named & shamed.... - I'd hate to see their version of 'USED'..

MINT 100% as new
MINT- 98%-99% as new
EXC++ 95%-97% as new
EXC+ 90%-94% as new
EXC Original finish may have slight scratches or rubbed. No dents or deep scratches.
VG May be slightly scratched, scuffed or worn, but in good mechanical order with clean optics

I'm not convinced that any of those titles would apply...

'Very Well Used but cosmetically in good condition' I think would be about the only way you could describe this camera.

The web tells me the D300 was announced in August 2007. I don't know when it was first available but counting from Aug 2007 until now a shutter count of 291,252 represents around 130 photos every day.

130 in a day is not a huge number, but every day for six years seems odd.

Dave

Maybe used for time lapse? CCTV?

either way almost 300k is a hell of a lot - I would send it back.

Reading a bit more into shutter counts - It seems that if you use live view - it increases the shutter count by an extra 2 for each single picture.

Last edited:
Hi guys,

This is it here:

9730469725_595ae40dbf_o.jpg

When I received it, it was in "M" mode, not sure about if it was the camera shop putting it to this or what.

But for 290,000+ shots and none of the buttons, words or grip has weared away? I'm not sure.

If it looked beaten then yes I would believe it, but to look mint and have this much???

If the shutter count is true, then I would have been much better buying a very used one to be honest lol.

Thanks.

Last edited:
If the camera was tethered or used remotely there would be no wear on the buttons.

Hence me thinking it may have been used for time lapse or CCTV use.

If the camera was tethered or used remotely there would be no wear on the buttons.

Hence me thinking it may have been used for time lapse or CCTV use.

Same may apply to the ones at the theme parks that take photos of people on rides etc.

Thanks guys. I'm guessing if say Nikon replace the shutter they reset the shutter count back to 0?

Thanks.

Thanks guys. I'm guessing if say Nikon replace the shutter they reset the shutter count back to 0?

Thanks.

I would assume so - and would make sense in a way - or maybe they would provide documentation to say shutter mechanism changed on serial number xxxxxxx @ shutter count 150xxx.

Might be worth a call to Nikon to see this has been done.

e.g. If you change the engine on a car - the speedo does not get reset back to 0, as the original mileage would reflect wear and tear on the other components on the car.

I would assume so - and would make sense in a way - or maybe they would provide documentation to say shutter mechanism changed on serial number xxxxxxx @ shutter count 150xxx.

Might be worth a call to Nikon to see this has been done.

e.g. If you change the engine on a car - the speedo does not get reset back to 0, as the original mileage would reflect wear and tear on the other components on the car.

Thanks, I have sent over an email to Nikon and provided the serial number on the bottom of the camera, asking them if they could tell me if they have got a record on their system of it ever having a shutter replacement and that I purchased it used etc so not too sure if it has.

I wonder, if the shutter does go, any idea's how much roughly this would cost to replace?

Thanks.

I wonder, if the shutter does go, any idea's how much roughly this would cost to replace?

Thanks.

I really wouldn't be thinking of that at the price you paid for it.

I really wouldn't be thinking of that at the price you paid for it.

Yeah you have a point, just looked and it's quite a lot. Will see what Nikon say to me if they have that info and are willing to give it to me.

I have contacted the company and asking them what my options are - just frustrated really because I can't stand getting online purchases replaced etc, especially when it comes to couriers that keep you waiting all day :(. Fact is they should have never have sold it as mint...

As long as it has had a recent shutter replacement that's fine with me because I don't want to sell this camera anyway I want to keep it 'til it dies off, but want to be sure it has had a replacement.

I was considering purchasing a brand new D300s as well... If the shutter hasn't been replaced I won't be a happy chappy :(. But my hunch is saying that it would have been replaced some time because I don't even think I know a camera that has done this much without even being replaced (unless I'm really unlucky!)

Thanks.

Have a look at Grays of Westminster - D300 Exc ++ with 5,000+ clicks and 12 month warranty £495

Have a look at Grays of Westminster - D300 Exc ++ with 5,000+ clicks and 12 month warranty £495

Wish I had found this sooner :(. But with Camera Jungle I exchanged my Canon 600D kit for this D300 body, and they give you around an extra £30 value I think in my case if you part exchange with them so only had to top up about £100.

Nothing on there close to 300k shots I see :D, always a plus.

Thanks Gramps, much appreciated as always for your help and advice (y)

Last edited:
You can trust those counts reports. The shutter is rated to 150000 clicks...

If I should make the choice, I would return it. Wasn't counts mentioned in sales description??

And of course I would pick up a D300s... oh! wait! I did! :D

Yeah, just hoping the shutter's been replaced now before I try returning it...

Also nope, no mention of shutter count on any of their used cameras.

Last edited:
If it's mint with no wear and a high shutter count I would assume its been mounted in a studio or for a speed camera as there's a particular type that uses Nikon!
John, just send it back before it's too late buddy, it could be sods law that it fails on the day after the 6 month warranty has surpassed etc!
Look at how concerned you are currently, it will always be playing on your mind!

Here's something interesting,
I found a picture on flickr taken by my exact camera (searched the serial number, came up on EXIF data through flickr):

Taken on July 6, 2008 at 4.05PM BST
Shutter Count 119111

Thanks for the advice guys, have contacted the shop and Nikon to see if the shutter was ever replaced but will return if hasn't.

(y)

Sure.? The count on my d700 did not reset when I recently updated my firmware.

It's what I have read, possibly on here, it may have been for another manufacturer. Also, that's why I put several question marks after the sentence as I am not 100% sure. ;)

Here's something interesting,
I found a picture on flickr taken by my exact camera (searched the serial number, came up on EXIF data through flickr):

Taken on July 6, 2008 at 4.05PM BST
Shutter Count 119111

Thanks for the advice guys, have contacted the shop and Nikon to see if the shutter was ever replaced but will return if hasn't.

(y)

I would only accept the word of Nikon - if the shop say it has, make sure that you see documentation that proves this beyond doubt, i.e. the repair document from a Nikon Approved repairer with the camera serial number shown.

Looks like I'll be sending it back then:

"Thank you for your patience. The service centre has confirmed that the item has never been sent to them before. It is possible that a third party service centre completed repairs, but Nikon have not serviced the item. "

Just silly to be honest because somewhere on Camera Jungle's website it said that to sell a camera to them, it can only be at least 10% below the expected shutter count, so ideally at 90% of the camera's expected shutter life.

Why they accepted one about 200% of the expected shutter count and still sold it as mint I do not know ^^, will see what they say to me.

So annoying waiting in for a courier for collection and another for delivery :(.

Thanks all for your help.

Back