1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. littlemattc

littlemattc

Name:
    Matt
    Edit My Images:
    No
    What is the best shutter sound on either digital or analogue cameras?? Over the years what has been the most significant in camera history?

2. Somelier

Somelier

Name:
    Richard
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Silence!

3. Andy

Andy

Name:
    Andy
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Never thought about this to be honest, quieter the better in some places but I love it when I ring off 6.5fps. :D I dont like the Canon 1000D shutter sound but love the 40D.

4. Just Dave

Just Dave In Memoriam

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Mirror slap cant be helped other than that why would you want a sound, surely you know when youve pressed the release button so who are you telling, every frustrated person around you that its damn annoying, LOL, so none for me, dont want to frighten the birdys away

5. TheNissanMan

TheNissanMan

Name:
    Ryan
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I spent a good number of years in Hong Kong and had a similar conversation with a friend over there, the first story I was told about the small Digi cams was there had to be a shutter sound as there were so many pervs trying to sneak upskirts on the MTR (tube)...

I nearly fell off my chair laughing :)

6. sworks

sworks

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I upgraded from a 400d to a 1dmk11n and it does sound a lot nicer lol

7. trencheel303

trencheel303

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Personally I like the sound - now whenever I use my little camera it feels weird having no sound. Not to mention, the sound of the 450D is, well, awesome. To quote a member on here, it's akin to the sound of a mouse being slapped!

8. LJR

LJR

Name:
    Lloyd
    Edit My Images:
    No
    lol when I first used my D300 I thought the mirror-slap-shutter-sound was cool. How I've learned since. I wish it was silent. I tell you now that in quiet surroundings it sounds like two washboards being smacked together.

So...silence would be my preference too.

9. Frenzied Dwarf

Frenzied Dwarf

Name:
    Craig
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    My d2hs sounds like a truck at 8fps, awesome but also bloody annoying at points

10. donut

donut

Edit My Images:
    No
    you lot want to go out and get rangefinders ;)

11. hits98

hits98

Name:
    Ben
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    When I brought my first DLSR I went to jessops to look. It was between the D50 and the 350d at the time. I asked the sales assistant which she thought was better. Her answer was the D50 cause it sounds better. You know what it did as well.

12. fallen_mathi

fallen_mathi

Edit My Images:
    No
    the big clunk of a hassy in the morning :) oh...yeh...

13. Geordi69

Geordi69

Name:
    Graham
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    My EOS 3 has a great solid sound when that fires off!!!

14. kalibre

kalibre

Name:
    Doug
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Didn't pay much attention to it prior to upgrading from the D300 to the D700. The sound is lovely, but a little too noisy IMHO for chruch weddings lol.

15. MARK AMIES

MARK AMIES funnier than Les Dennis

Edit My Images:
    No
    The first thing I did when I bought my latest camera was to switch off the shutter sound. Apart from anything else, it consumes power unecessarily.

I guess the whole point off having a shutter noise was to help in the transfer over from analogue to digital, it's the reassurance of something familiar. It's a little like the old electric fires, that had a flame effect- had no real use, other than to keep people happy.

It also reminds me about a story I heard, when Mazda were developing the first MX5 ( Miata), they engineered the sound of the exhaust so it sounded like an old 1960's British sports car.

Cunning stuff.

16. Nod

Nod Ethel Prescott

Name:
    Nod (NOT Ethel!!!)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    BEST shutter sound? Rangefinders are very often whisper quiet (OK, som of the older Russian ones may not be quiet as quiet as they once were!) - just the gentle swish as the shutter curtains slide through. The clatter from some SLRs is almost enough to wake the dead, especially some of the MF ones with IIRC the Pentax 645 sounding like a Lada door slamming and the window falling off its rails! Some compacts are silent when the take the picture but since they tend to be electronically controlled rather than having proper shutters, they don't really count. I rather like the sound of my F80 firing - the mirror going up, the shutter blades (and aperture) doing their thing, the mirror coming back down and the motor winding to the next frame.

17. Knikki

Knikki

Name:
    Nick (yes there is more than one of us)
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Best shutter sounds?
    Well my list
    Canon EOS1n RS when going at 10 fps, no mirror slap all shutter sounds very different.
    Nikon F4s just sounds so nice
    Leica R5 has a really nice well made sort of sound
    Contax IIIa & Fuji 690, RF cameras
    Olympus E3 so quite so well made :D

18. alexkidd

alexkidd D.O.N.K.E.Y.

Name:
    Alex
    Edit My Images:
    No
    d3 has a nice slap to it, but wouldn't mind silent mode on occasion

19. jamesb84

jamesb84 Suspended / Banned

Edit My Images:
    No
    My Bronica ETRSi has a nice satisfying ker-chunk when i take a frame...beeeeeautiful

Of course, the mkIII has a machine-gun sound at 10fps! That's quite nice, the ladies love it.

20. TheBigYin

TheBigYin Staff Member

Name:
    Mark
    Edit My Images:
    No
    They certainly do sound solid (y)

21. chilliz

chilliz

Name:
    Ian
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Most of the noise on mine is the mirror, the shutter itself is very quiet. If you try the mirror lock up function and set the shutter speed to a few seconds you can hear it. The first press will lock the mirror up, the 2nd click is the shutter then the mirror will go down with a thud after the number of seconds you set. I think most of you are hearing the mirror go up and then go down. :)

22. mrtoad

mrtoad

Name:
    Geof
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    silky smooth hardly audible...

23. JEmerson

JEmerson

Name:
    Josh
    Edit My Images:
    No
    :D

Brilliant!!

24. david1701

david1701

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    No
    my 5dII is the sexiest I've known

my Salyut is the most aggressive, more aggressive than a 1d3 in machine gun mode :D

25. trencheel303

trencheel303

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Ahh, if we're talking about artificial shutter sounds that PnS, bridge and mobile phone cameras make - I always turn that off. Apart from the fact that it sounds nothing like a shutter/mirror slap sound, it often comes around 0.5 to 1 second after you've pressed the shutter button. On an SLR the 'clack' comes near damn as soon as you hit the button and it lets you know you've taken the shot. Taking a photo on my PnS camera is much less eventful since it's missing the 'click click'!

26. AliB

AliB Suspended / Banned

Edit My Images:
    No
    Oh yeah!

Keerrrrchunk :D

I have a motordrive on a Mamiya, sounds like an AK47! :wacky:

27. aligibbs

aligibbs

Name:
    Alistair
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Canon 20D- sounded like a TANK- rARRRRRR

28. Photo Plod

Photo Plod

Name:
    Chris
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Silence is best of all :D

But failing that, I love the machine-gun fire sound of a D3 going at full speed :D

29. Davec223

Davec223

Name:
    Dave
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    The best shutter sound has to be medium format, mamiya rz67.

30. Coldeh

Coldeh

Edit My Images:
    No
    I like the sound of my 5D Mk II, but also quite liked the Nikon D80 and the Canon 40D sounds. I don't like the entry level cameras of Canon too much as their shutter just sounds... off.

31. MisterE

MisterE

Name:
    Michael
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Olympus 35mm OM1, OM2 (and maybe OM3 OM4 - haven't listened to them). The Rolls Royce Merlin of the shutter world.

32. Arkady

Arkady Suspended / Banned

Name:
    Rob
    Edit My Images:
    No
    All Nikons I've used sounded great when just out of the box, but over time start to sound a little more harsh - say about 20,000 actuations...about 8 months in...it's a gradual thing...
    My D3x sounds lovely still, whereas my D3's sound a lot more 'clattery' as they've been hammered a lot more...

33. Arkady

Name:
    Rob
    Edit My Images:
    No
    What? An over-engineered, over-priced aeronautical piece of motor-jewellery?
    Rolls-Royce really saw the War Department coming with that one...lol

Service life of a Merlin Engine was something stupid like 50,000 hours...when the average life expectancy of any aircraft it was installed in was approximately 100 hours at the most - talk about false economy - we never did understand the concept of fit for purpose...if it doesn't need to last three years, don't waste money and resources engineering it to...

Much was said about the crappiness of the Jumo jet engines in the ME 262, but at the end of the day it's easy enough to do an engine-change if the aircraft survives long enough...
    (although, had they'd had access to the exotic metals earmarked for the V1 and V2 projects, those engines would have been able to run a lot hotter and thus faster...can you tell I went to Peenemunde a couple of years ago...? :LOL:)

34. MisterE

MisterE

Name:
    Michael
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Bloody hell Rob! I'm not talking about the history of the damned thing - just the sound of it! :p :LOL:

35. Arkady

Name:
    Rob
    Edit My Images:
    No
    oh in that case I agree entirely...lol

36. King_Boru

King_Boru

Edit My Images:
    No
    The Nikon D2h turned heads when it came out with its 8fps. Reports came in that sideline photographer's (mostly Canon users) were shivering, mouths watering with a tent shaped pant hearing its shutter fire off like that. This lead to reports of the D2h outselling the Rampant Rabbit and a decrease in divorce numbers that very year. Although one could debate these findings.

37. kevshore

kevshore

Name:
    Kevin
    Edit My Images:
    No
    My D3s sounds nice. Even in quiet mode. Weird but nice. :D

Kev.

38. westie17

westie17

Name:
    Tim
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I have heared that too, albeit with mobile phones, with japanese phones you can't turn the sound off. Not sure if it's true though as the last phones I have had were nokia and Apple.

39. norvic-boy

norvic-boy

Name:
    Toby
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    I love the sound of the Olympus OM-10.

The T90 sounds quite good too...