Answered sick of people not using the classified properly

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
ban then from the marketplace

too lazy and ignorant to mark the sale as sold....

Some people have lives outside of talkphotography and probably have more important things to think about.

So are you saying you dont have a life outside talk photogrpahy hence you took the time to post that? That is pretty much what you just said...

For me... I find it really annoying that I read through post after post only to get to the end of a thread to find out its sold when the person selling it had enough of a life outside talk photogrpahy to use the system to sell items but not enough to do the right thing and mark it sold.. poeple like that shouldnt be allowed to use the system IMHO .. pure laziness..

BTW taking your approach.. we should all be able to do what we like in these forums and ignore all the rules if we have more important things to think about.. like family and covid? OR maybe you didn't think it through before you posted.. is that it ?: )

Last edited:
For me... I find it really annoying that I read through post after post only to get to the end of a thread to find out its sold when the person selling it had enough of a life outside talk photogrpahy to use the system to sell items but not enough to do the right thing and mark it sold.. poeple like that shouldnt be allowed to use the system IMHO .. pure laziness..

Not an isolated view. :)

I would agree with Kipax, it’s very frustrating and it’s also in the forum rules!

• Once you've sold something then update the thread and title.

Perhaps an automated nag system so that folk with things for sale have to click a thing to say it's still available each week or the sale thread is automatically archived?

If anyone spots abandoned sold threads, just hit the RTM button and we'll mark them off.

As to automatic nagging etc, or auto-archive, that's custom extensions, which we're trying to move away from, simply because the forum software now gets updated more often than it used to - and every time it updates, all the custom extensions need at the very least checking and loading, or at worst re-writing from scratch. We used to have lots of custom written stuff in the past, before going over to Xen, but it seems that Xen is actually actively maintained and developed, unlike the prior software... We therefore try wherever possible to run as "vanilla" a install of the software, at least code-wise as we can - the customisations in terms of look and feel in themselves are a big enough job to manage.

But as I say, please report stuff that's been abandoned, as we think it's solidly bad form as well...

So are you saying you dont have a life outside talk photogrpahy hence you took the time to post that? That is pretty much what you just said...

BTW taking your approach.. we should all be able to do what we like in these forums and ignore all the rules if we have more important things to think about.. like family and covid? OR maybe you didn't think it through before you posted.. is that it ?: )
I generally go straight to the last page if it is multiple pages or scroll to the end of the first one as sometimes the price changes in a later post but the first one doesn't reflect it. I can see quickly if it has been sold. I do this on all the fora I visit.

I agree that if the rules say you should update then you should update.

But as I say, please report stuff that's been abandoned, as we think it's solidly bad form as well...
Quoted for truth (y)
Like the big fella say's it is bad form, its got worse ever since Marcel stopped me from putting burning bamboo down the finger nails of classified abusers / transgressors
:(

And to reiterate, hit the RTM button, we will tidy things up...

Did I? Okay then.

Thanks for reminding me why I've avoided talkphotography for the past year or so. I guess nothings changed

" Four Sail " whats wrong with it ?

I've got a solution...

why don't the powers that be charge a "weekly rental fee" for the classifieds adverts... One item for sale per advert, close it when its sold and feedback exchanged. Anything thats still open attracts a charge, even if it says SOLD in the second post. That way, at least the people mis-using the classifieds are at least helping pay for the upkeep of the forum.

It's a fact of life that anything that's available for free will be valued as such by it's users. Charge for it, and the numbers may decrease, but the people using it will appreciate it more, and maybe even stick to the terms and conditions if not doing so costs them money...

why don't the powers that be charge a "weekly rental fee" for the classifieds adverts..
I think that will make you as popular as this guy Mick .. :D

thumb_calvin-rickson-an-engineer-from-texas-a-m-university-has-designed-9545696.png

Back