Sigma 1.4 TC on Nikon

Name
Richard Wong
Edit My Images
No
does anyone know any issue with this particular TC on nikon, particularly D90? autofocus, IQ etc? thanks in advance

It very much depends on the lens and aperture used. AFAIK, the sigma TC will not AF on nikon lenses and vice versa.

I got 24-70 f2.8 which i do not believe is an APO lens, and the 100-300 APO which according tot he chart is meant to be able to AF on nikon with 1.4TC. however i just want to confirm compatibility with D90 as its a fairly recent body

It doesn't matter which Nikon body you use, as far as I can recall! It's all about what lens, aperture and amount of light combination.

As for lenses that will / will not autofocus, check this chart.

It'll work on the 300mm f/4 AF-S and 80-200 f/2.8 AF-S for sure.

Ideally though, I'd only use Sigma TC's on Sigma lenses and Nikon / Kenko on Nikon though.

never had any issues at all with my sigma 1.4x on my Sigma 100-300 when i had it and now the sigma 120-300

:)

Glad to be of help.

Sigma 1.4x, tried it out on the Nikon 70-200 2.8 VR, it seemed to be auto focusing, but the focus was well off, so I would say No to it working.

On checking later I noticed the Lens with Sigma TC attached still showed the aperture down to F/2.8, where as if it worked as it should it would have stooped at F/4

right someone brought up the nikon TC. now does that work with all nikon lens?

thats a pretty pathetic list of lenses. I suppose its all pro grade.

thats a pretty pathetic list of lenses. I suppose its all pro grade.

Well only "Pro" grade lenses are good enough to take TCs as a rule of thumb.

A TC magnifies the image so with a weaker lens things will look bad very quickly!

Its possibly to fit a Kenko TC to pretty much any lens (for example a Nikkor 18-200 VR or 70-300 VR) but the image quality is disappointing. The same TC on a Nikon 70-200 VR or a 300mm f/2.8 produces superb image quality, so even if you could fit a TC to any lens, you probably won't want to!

What lens are you hoping to a put a TC on?

To go back to the original question, you can use a Sigma TC on certain lenses (including Nikon ones!), but you really need follow manufacturer guidelines - if your lens is not listed, then its for a good reason.

DSCF1352-web.jpg

Sigma 1.4x TC on Nikkor 300mm f/4 AF-S - it works too!

Although the Sigma TC will 'work' on Nikon lenses it doesn't work properly on most. On my 80-200 AFS it focuses ok, and still sharp as hell when it locks on, but it hunts like mad sometimes for no apparent reason. I thought it was the lens so borrowed a Nikon 1.4 and the problem went away. The sigma TC works perfectly on my Sigma 300/2.8, in fact it' pretty much glued on there as I never remove it and it never causes a problem.

Pete

sigma 24-70 f2.8 I want it to extend a bit further for a walkabout lens I will tag the Tokina 12-24 for ultra wide use, but 70mm is far too short :(

OK, you can't use a Sigma or Nikon TC on that.

You will probably be able to fit a Kenko 300 Pro DG, but be careful the rear element doesn't collide. I've had the Kenko on a 90mm and 85mm but never a 70mm that also goes wide....

I don't think its worth buying a TC for this lens though tbh. Get a Nikkor 55-200 DX for the same price more of less.

I wouldn't put a TC on a 24-70, I'm pretty sure the elements will collide and then you'll damage both the TC and the lens.

the IQ on the 24-70 is great which is why i don't want to change it even *** it's a bit short

Back