Sigma 10-20mm question

Name
Adam
Edit My Images
No
Folks,

I'm off to Tenerife a week on Tuesday (y) and I'll be taking either my D70 or D200 with me. Lens wise I'll probably take my 18-200mm VR as an all-around lens.

Now some of the scenery in Tenerife is beautiful (as well as the beach views :whistle:) and the sunset over La Gomera can portray stunning skies. I have the Siggy 30mm f/1.4 but have been thinking of getting the Siggy 10-20 as I've seen some of the shots on this site by the likes of Pete Carr and others.

Any comments on this lens and where would be the best place to get it from as I'm going in 9 days.

Ta very much,

Adam.

Hi Adam,

I've just come back from a holiday in Florida and I was really surprised just how much I used my 10-20. You just can't beat it for getting expansive landscape / scenery shots and also lots of sky in the shots that you'd usually loose. Get one and take it with you, you will be SO glad you did! I bought mine from Kerso btw

Oh and if your budget will stretch to it, get a polariser for it too ;)

Got mine from Bristol Cameras (online) for around the £300 mark, but that was last summer. A lens you won't regret owning!

Agree also. Warehouse Express or Bristol Cameras both do it for around £300. I'd advise you phone and confirm stock before ordering so you can make sure you get it in time.

Super lens, and the best ultra-wide angle you'll get for that much money. I bought one and have no regrets whatsoever.

Yep, another vote here, had mine a week [took the risk and ordered from onestopdigital - ordered thurs night, arrived monday morning, but warranty issues if no vat receipt] and its a fabulous lens and much more versatile than I was expecting.! (y)

Oh and if your budget will stretch to it, get a polariser for it too ;)

I read somewhere on the net that its not good to use polarisers on such a wide lens as it gives a very strange effect, you obviously haven't had this problem?

I read somewhere on the net that its not good to use polarisers on such a wide lens as it gives a very strange effect, you obviously haven't had this problem?

TBH Steve, I haven't really been through the photos I took with it since I got back from holiday. I hadn't heard of that issue so when I do process them I'll look out for any oddities and let you know :)

Make sure that if you are going to buy a used version of the lens that you check sample pics, the very early versions of the lens suffered from a softness issue to the right of images - focus would seem off even though the rest of the image was fine. There was a recall if I'm not mistaken though & I think you'd have to be pretty unfortunate to find a lens with this issue now.
I'd be interested in hearing about any Circ Pol issues too as I was considering getting one for my 10-20 too (y)

I'd be interested in hearing about any Circ Pol issues too as I was considering getting one for my 10-20 too (y)

The pics that I used a polariser on certainly looked ok on my Epson P4000 but of course that's a very small preview and I wasn't actually looking for any anomolies (sp?). I'll try and have a look tonight and post a couple up ;)

I have the Sigma 10-20mm and have used filters on it. I have a Hoya Pro1 Digital Polariser, this is a slimline unit and 5mm thick. I have no problems with vignetting at 10mm and as can be seen from this thread, have noissues with adding further filters (lee) on top of the 5mm polariser

Hope that helps

davidy

I have a 5mm Hoya UV(N) filter on mine and there are no problems.

I think the strange effect that Steveo is referring to is the way the polarised light is filtered to a different extent on either side of the image. I don't understand it fully myself either, but a major factor in the extent to which polarised light is filtered is the angle you make between the sun and the subject. Because the FOV is so wide, the filter has a greater effect on one side of your image than the other. This can be very evident in blue skies, fading from dark to light.

I have a 5mm Hoya UV(N) filter on mine and there are no problems.

I don't think there is a question about having filters on the Lens. Its more to do with the width of the lens causing issues with Polarising filters. (Not that I have any problems, as ive never tried it.)

Having had mine for nearly 2 years I have seen things with the polarizer. On a say 24-70 it'll polarize the sky nicely. On a 10-20 you can see a blob of polarization move around the sky. It doesn't seem to completely cover the wide angle.

Having had mine for nearly 2 years I have seen things with the polarizer. On a say 24-70 it'll polarize the sky nicely. On a 10-20 you can see a blob of polarization move around the sky. It doesn't seem to completely cover the wide angle.

That just towards the 10mm end I presume? And does it happen all the time, or just when at a certain angle to the sun?

Job done. Order placed with WE and lens should be at work Thursday morning. Have ordered Hoya UV filter with it and will look at getting a polariser out in Tenerife.

Cheers for all the comments.

Adam.

Good decision mate - hope you enjoy the lens, and your holiday (y)

Its a lovely lens and you'll enjoy it!

The issue with polarising is pretty much as bulb writes. the FOV is so huge that the level of polarisation cant possibly be uniform across the frame. Obviulsy th eamount of direct light is going to affect this as well. In some shots it will be much more noticeable than others.

By far the best solution is the 12-24mm as theres no sodding space for a filter attachment:D

TBH Steve, I haven't really been through the photos I took with it since I got back from holiday. I hadn't heard of that issue so when I do process them I'll look out for any oddities and let you know :)

Here's an example taken with my 10-20 at 12mm with a Hoya Pro Digital Circular polariser. The photo is the Everglades btw :)

everglades.jpg

Lens should be at work Thursday morning

Received call from WE this morning. They put the lens on the wrong van and it's not headed up North.

Will have to wait another 24 hours. Good job I ordered yesterday as I don't fancy the lens sitting at work for 3 weeks whilst I'm away.

Back