Sigma 12-24 F4-5.6

Name
Richard Black
Edit My Images
Yes
Is this lens any good?
I have just got a 24-70mm sigma and would like something below it?

I love mine I have to say. I also had the 24-70mm f2.8 first off, and bought the 12-24mm for two reasons - firstly that it did indeed fit in perfectly to complete my range, but more importantly for me, as the ONLY currently available (to my knowledge at least) super-wide lens which will work on both crop and full frame sensors it future-proofed me. I have a lens which will work on both our DSLR's at the moment (mine being the 30D and the other half now using my old D30) and also on my film body, but will also go with me if I ever upgrade to a 1 series body which I'm hoping to do next winter.

Here's a shot taken with it on holiday earlier in the year - it does wonderful things with skies!

9083StacksatGarryHDRsite.jpg

Unless you're intending to use it with a full frame body (5D or 1Ds) then I'd say you'd be better off with the Sigma 10-20, it's a little wider and millimeters count a lot at the wide end. I've yet to see anyone say a bad word about it tbh :)

Excellent!!
I'll get one, I'm trying to buy with future proof in mind if that makes sense.
I beleive the 24-70mm F2.8 is full frame too.

I'm on Nikon fit as well, what nikons support full frame at the moment?

Ah sorry vecsri, I was assuming you were using Canon fit :confused:

:canon:

Ah sorry vecsri, I was assuming you were using Canon fit :confused:

:canon:

haha lol
No worries bud i should make my posts a lil clearer.
But...:nikon:

;)
I do have a lil toy with a guy from works 5D though, YUM!

Out of interest does anyone have a 12mm example on a full frame camera? I'm thinking of upgrading to the 5D soon (or whatever may replace it).

haha lol
No worries bud i should make my posts a lil clearer.
But...:nikon:

;)
I do have a lil toy with a guy from works 5D though, YUM!

lol :D Yeah the 5D is a nice body. Since we're doing confessionals here - I once had a play with a friends D200. What a gorgeous camera that is :love:

There, I said it :p

I still :love: Canon though :LOL:

Out of interest does anyone have a 12mm example on a full frame camera? I'm thinking of upgrading to the 5D soon (or whatever may replace it).

Jonnyreb (member here) is your man. He used to own a 5D and Sigma 12-24. I know coz I bought his 5D ;). That combination of lens and body is incredibly wide! It's just awsome. The down side though is that it REALLY distorts.

lol :D Yeah the 5D is a nice body. Since we're doing confessionals here - I once had a play with a friends D200. What a gorgeous camera that is :love:

There, I said it :p

I still :love: Canon though :LOL:

D200 is my next port of call i think, but its nto full frame is it?

Shame! Dobut i'll be going to a D3, D300 maybe D3 no

Thats not to say there wont be a FF camera at a lower price but I doubt there will be one under 2k anytime soon.

Jonnyreb (member here) is your man. He used to own a 5D and Sigma 12-24. I know coz I bought his 5D ;). That combination of lens and body is incredibly wide! It's just awsome. The down side though is that it REALLY distorts.

It was really seeing sample pics and hearing Jonny talk about his 12-24mm that persuaded me to buy mine.

Having used mine on both full frame (film) and on the crop sensor DSLR, I honestly wouldn't really want any wider than the 12mm now - it distorts a fair bit even on the crop sensor and a huge amount on the film body,....I guess it's a personal preference thing though, and I guess the best way I could put it would be too say I can't really imagine anything wider being better, in real terms.

Back