Sigma 150-600 mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM SPORTS owners thread

aaaaaaaand breathe!

I crashed out of Optimisation Pro, reloaded it, it identified that the firmware upgrade was 'incomplete' and then proceeded to upgrade the lens.

Scary!

Done mine a couple of weeks ago ,it was quiet a long winded one

Hi

Thinking of getting new lens which will either be the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM – C (Contemporary) Lens or Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM – S (Sports) Lens.
Looking more like the Sports one what is everyone thoughts is it worth the extra cash. David

Last edited:
Hi

Thinking of getting new lens which will either be the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM – C (Contemporary) Lens or Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM – S (Sports) Lens.
Looking more like the Sports one what is everyone thoughts is it worth the extra cash. David
I love my sport but there is a hefty weight penalty to pay for it, it really can't be hand held for any length if time. Unless you need the weatherproofing (which was the main reason I bought it) I'd save yourself the cash and get the C.

Mine's getting a severe lack of use at the moment. Since investing in some Fuji kit the weight of the 7D2 & 150-600S is even more obvious.....

Need to get some dedicated time with the kit and get back in the groove...

It all down to how you carry it ,I have mine fitted to a gripped camera body with two batteries fitted ,I use a black rapid strap for walkabouts and rarely miss a bird fly past ,obviously I use any available supports if there handy I.e gate posts ,fence posts etc but if not I find hand holding easy ,and btw I,m not exactly a youngster I'll be seventy one in a week ,so stop whinging and get out there :banana:

I recently bought a Peak Design slide strap for use with my 7D2 and 150-600 Sport. I find this works well when carrying camera and lens for some distance.
I also carry a bean bag which is useful for supporting the lens in hides etc.

As has been stated it is a superb lens as far as image quality is concerned.

978A5952 by Degsys Pics, on Flickr

That's a good one derek ,but only if your on the smallish and slim side ,I,m 6'1" and a touch under 20 stone and it's just to small .i use the black rapid sport which I have adapted by cutting of the fixing hook and fitting two op-tech short connectors one to my long arca plate and the other to the lens lug .works a treat for me

I am not 6-1 but neither am I slim and I found the strap fitted OK. I like that I have the anchor link on either side of the camera and one on the 150-500 via an optional pro drive screw.
When using a smaller lens it easy to convert the strap from shoulder to neck. Must say I was a bit unsure about the anchor links at first but they seem strong enough.

Rest assured it won't fit me derek there are four of us in the house that use either those or black rapids or op.tec so it's simply a case of try before you buy

my Sigma Sport which arrived yesterday in comparison to my Tamron 150-600

Attachments

• IMG_1093.JPG
    IMG_1093.JPG
    139.7 KB · Views: 91
It all down to how you carry it ,I have mine fitted to a gripped camera body with two batteries fitted ,I use a black rapid strap for walkabouts and rarely miss a bird fly past ,obviously I use any available supports if there handy I.e gate posts ,fence posts etc but if not I find hand holding easy ,and btw I,m not exactly a youngster I'll be seventy one in a week ,so stop whinging and get out there :banana:

It really depends what you're using it for, try hand holding it stood at the side of an arena for an hour following the action and let me know how you get on

It really depends what you're using it for, try hand holding it stood at the side of an arena for an hour following the action and let me know how you get on
That will never happen I was talking about using the lens camera combo on walkabout birding ,if for instance I have to hang around waiting for owls to appear then it goes on the tripod and gimbal .

Most of mine are at the full 600mm

That will never happen I was talking about using the lens camera combo on walkabout birding ,if for instance I have to hang around waiting for owls to appear then it goes on the tripod and gimbal .

Like I said, it depends what you're using it for.

First time in months I have taken the camera out and probably 8 months since the Sigma was attached but thought I would try it today.

Very sparse subject matter but here are a couple with the 7D MKI and Sport. Both 600mm, cropped and handheld. Quite a bit of haze on the second.

Cormorant Hurst Spit by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Sailing Boat IOW Needles by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Thread seems a bit quiet recently, so posting one from Riat 2017. First time using this lens with my Canon 5D Mk 3, and actually setting an AF microadjustment (+4) on the body.
Improvement on results with photos on my 5D Mk 2, but I never set any AF microadjustment on that, and the lens firmware was one version older!

1S3A0483 by Vtecsilver, on Flickr

Thread seems a bit quiet recently, so posting one from Riat 2017. First time using this lens with my Canon 5D Mk 3, and actually setting an AF microadjustment (+4) on the body.
Improvement on results with photos on my 5D Mk 2, but I never set any AF microadjustment on that, and the lens firmware was one version older!

Nice. Guessing that wasn't taken on the Saturday or Sunday ;)

One I took recently.

Panning with the sport is good exercise ;)

croft17.jpg

First outing with my new lens to the North Wall area of Pagham Harbour Nature Reserve on Sunday.
All with D750 Auto ISO f8 (which switched itself to f9 and f9.5 occasionally).
So obviously a lot to be learnt and all help gratefully received.

Edit : sorry but cannot undo double post of Swan 2

Swan 1 by Graeme Hutson, on Flickr

Swan 2 by Graeme Hutson, on Flickr

Ducks 1 by Graeme Hutson, on Flickr

Last edited:
Hi 150-600 owners,

I am hoping in the not to distant future to buy a super zoom. There is some choice these days with the Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM – C (Contemporary), Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM – Sport,
Tamron SP 150-600mm f / 5-6.3 Di VC USD G2, canon 100-400L Mk2, plus there are smaller zooms of which you can use with 1.4 or 2.0 extenders.

I mainly use my Canon EF 70-300L IS USM for wild life and airshows. In the future I would like to go on safari so a super zoom would be great to have. My EF 70-300L will not take a teleconvertor as the back element is too close to the rear of the lens.
So is the IQ and AF as good on the sigma Contemporary as the Sport Sigma 150-400 as the weight on hand language is going to kill my allowance with everything I take on a plane ! ?

Back