Sigma 150-600 mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM SPORTS owners thread

I just wondered if anybody had tried a monopod with the sport and if so which pod and head? Thanks in advance for any replies!

I tried it.

Just the once.

It was too unwieldy and I found hand held with it on a strap was far easier.

Using a gitzo monopod and a wimberley mkii head. Works great for up and down cliffs .. I use the 150-600 sport all day long and hand held is a bit hard especially after a few hours .. got the monopod and it makes a huge difference. I'm also going to invest in a Cotton Carrier so I'm not having it in my hands the entire time

https://www.flickr.com/photos/157784667@N06/36664663346/in/dateposted/

light wasn't good at the time as it was the end of the day .. used the monopod as I had to stand there and wait for him to come out from the reeds ..

Unauthorized Access
You have attempted to access a page for which you are not authorized.

This page will automatically redirect to the Flickr home page in 10 seconds,

or click the following link to go straight to the home page.

2017-08-21T16:15:55+00:00-a5a3aac9@server

Thank you for the comments so far, nice photo timbo.

Any other monopod users?

I've used mine with a Sirui CF monopod but only when I'm doing "head on" shots at motorsport. I find it gets in the way when I'm out wildlife stalking.

yes for fast action it is easier to handheld (and faster of course). For gliding birds or ground birds (and all day shooting) the monopod comes into it's own .. I take my d500/150-600 inside a Lowepro 600 trekker with the monopod/wimberley on the monopod holder. It's easy to carry to site and a minute to take out of bag and shoot. I have held the camera/lens setup all day by hand and at the end it's pretty tiring. I found that holding up the lens (especially at 600mm) was causing the shakes .. good job for IS ..

yes for fast action it is easier to handheld (and faster of course). For gliding birds or ground birds (and all day shooting) the monopod comes into it's own .. I take my d500/150-600 inside a Lowepro 600 trekker with the monopod/wimberley on the monopod holder. It's easy to carry to site and a minute to take out of bag and shoot. I have held the camera/lens setup all day by hand and at the end it's pretty tiring. I found that holding up the lens (especially at 600mm) was causing the shakes .. good job for IS ..
Yes this is the reason I asked the question as I find it very heavy to constantly track aircraft especially at 600mm!

I've used mine with a Sirui CF monopod but only when I'm doing "head on" shots at motorsport. I find it gets in the way when I'm out wildlife stalking.
That is interesting as it is the Sirui P326 I am considering. Which head do you use?

rarely use one i find hand holding far easier ,the secret is using a black rapid strap for walkabout as then your arms are not tired when a target is spotted as here
dog day afternoon by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

and another hand held shot from weds ,this time with the sigma 1.4 teleconverter fitted giving a native focal length of 840mm

not my tern by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Now that's a cracking shot, is that on the 1D MKIV?
yes it was mike ,getting used to it now ,not had enough time in the field with it really but getting there

How's the focus with the Sigma 1.4x ?
Don't even know it's on there mike .look at the tern shot above and taken handheld .i rest my case

one from yesterday with the sigma sport and sigma tc-1401 ,on the canon 1Dmkiv ,tripod mounted at 840mm doing distant owls and harriers when this cheeky bugger landed in front of me .I have to admit I'm struggling a bit with getting the settings right on this combo as I have been shooting close up stuff all summer but getting there gradually
ruffled feathers by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

The only difference I find when using the teleconverter is the focus is slightly slower the image quality doesn't change that's all.
at the moment I think I do need to re calibrate my lens as the focus seems to be just slightly soft but when the lens was new it was tack sharp has anybody else had this issue

The only difference I find when using the teleconverter is the focus is slightly slower the image quality doesn't change that's all.
at the moment I think I do need to re calibrate my lens as the focus seems to be just slightly soft but when the lens was new it was tack sharp has anybody else had this issue
Hard to say on that as I have changed cameras to many times .but worth trying

Hard to say on that as I have changed cameras to many times .but worth trying
Fair enough just seems odd that I was absolutely spot on and not it seems to be wandering a little

I have the usb dock so can recalibrate having never done it before it's a little daunting and probably time consuming

Quiet in here so thought I would do a moon shot tonight.

7D MKI, 150-600mm sport, Hand held.

38678344872_5d42f450e0_b.jpg

LINK

updates on mine .first off I had a second half to last year where everything went wrong ,first the 1d4 packed up .got a refund on it and bought a 80D having had one before .I wasn't happy with the i.q on that so sold it after a month .bought a 1dmk3 as I still like them ,that started playing up so wex changed that to .the 1d3 I have now is super but as the lens was playing up on that to the penny finally dropped it was probably the lens after all .... sent it off to sigma before the warranty expired (thank god for sigmas 3 year warranty) they found a problem with the definition so have sent it off to the factory in Japan to be fixed ,so without my main lens at a prime time of the year and really missing it .

Found out late yesterday that my lens is back in the u.k ,should be with me around the weekend

Back