Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

The few shots i've taken around the house seem plenty good enough to me. Will do some further tests tomorrow (or today of the weather permits) at various focal lengths. It's hard to gauge it when having to use ISO 3200 and still only achieving 1/100. :LOL:

OK, I'm just about to work my way through this entire thread, as I am just about to get me a copy.
I've never had a long lens, with a 300mm M4/3rds being about the longest, albeit small and light.
So, what sort of advice can you give a newcomer to long and heavy lenses, who has never taken any pictures of birds (a common and easy-to-find subject it seems, but not so easy to do well I guess !) and as I am getting the dock with it, what sort of settings and adjustments are worth looking into..?

Some sample photos of this lens in a "contemporary" setting: a concert stage.

1. 600mm
IMG_1247 by FreyaEvo, on Flickr

2. 500mm
IMG_1248 by FreyaEvo, on Flickr

3. 388mm (I thought I set it to 400mm)
IMG_1249 by FreyaEvo, on Flickr

4. 302mm
IMG_1250 by FreyaEvo, on Flickr

5. 200mm
IMG_1251 by FreyaEvo, on Flickr

6. 150mm
IMG_1252 by FreyaEvo, on Flickr

I have owned the Canon 100-400mm Mark 1 and the Canon 500mm F4 Mark 1. With the naked eye, I feel that this lens is as good as the Canon 100-400mm Mark 1 up to to 400mm. At 600mm, it can't beat the Canon 500mm F4 but the image quality is not too far off.

The main "limitation" for this lens is the aperture. If you get good lighting, the image quality will be good. However, it can be carried around easily and that gives you a lot more opportunities to take photos. The construction is good and I have used it in sub-zero temperatures with no problem. The OS works well and I have no complains about it.

The best way to hold a camera with this lens is using the left hand to support the lens at the front and the right hand at the camera grip (I am a right hander). You can control the zoom by pulling or pushing the front part of the lens. In my opinion, it is the best value telephoto zoom lens considering it's price and capabilities.

Some sample photos of this lens in a "contemporary" setting: a concert stage.

1. 600mm
IMG_1247 by FreyaEvo, on Flickr

2. 500mm
IMG_1248 by FreyaEvo, on Flickr

3. 388mm (I thought I set it to 400mm)
IMG_1249 by FreyaEvo, on Flickr

4. 302mm
IMG_1250 by FreyaEvo, on Flickr

5. 200mm
IMG_1251 by FreyaEvo, on Flickr

6. 150mm
IMG_1252 by FreyaEvo, on Flickr

I have owned the Canon 100-400mm Mark 1 and the Canon 500mm F4 Mark 1. With the naked eye, I feel that this lens is as good as the Canon 100-400mm Mark 1 up to to 400mm. At 600mm, it can't beat the Canon 500mm F4 but the image quality is not too far off.

The main "limitation" for this lens is the aperture. If you get good lighting, the image quality will be good. However, it can be carried around easily and that gives you a lot more opportunities to take photos. The construction is good and I have used it in sub-zero temperatures with no problem. The OS works well and I have no complains about it.

The best way to hold a camera with this lens is using the left hand to support the lens at the front and the right hand at the camera grip (I am a right hander). You can control the zoom by pulling or pushing the front part of the lens. In my opinion, it is the best value telephoto zoom lens considering it's price and capabilities.

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply - mine arrived late yesterday and I've been out at work all day but gave managed to snap a couple of shots all at 600mm. One at 1/100th which was perfectly sharp, amazingly (luck more than skill) and the others focusing on a clothes peg which it managed amazingly well - first impressions are that I'll grow to love this lens, just got to find some far away things to shoot !

Last edited:
Is the dock a must have and how does it fair against the 50-500mm dg os

Is the dock a must have and how does it fair against the 50-500mm dg os
I can't comment on the 50-500 comparison but the dock is worth its weight in gold at £40. You can customise settings and also update firmware as it arises so it's really a no brainer at the price and gives some good optional extras in settings.

Thanks Chris is it fairly simple to use?..What additional settings does it offer?

Thanks Chris is it fairly simple to use?..What additional settings does it offer?
No problem Stuart, always happy to help if I can.
It's relatively easy to use, you need to download the Sigma Optimisation Pro software from their website and then it's pretty straightforward as the menu opens with all the different options to set + it offers instant check on firmware so you know you have the most up to date version installed into the lens.
You can set various OS settings, AF speed, Focus Limiter for different situations.
It's pretty self explanatory once you get into it.
As I said before, for £40 it's not worth being without it imo.
If you goggle 'Sigma USB dock and then go onto the digital picture.com website, they have a fairly detailed review of the dock there.

Thanks again Chris..just been watching some videos of it on youtube and as you say for £40 seems like a must have.Whats the focus like on this lens have any of you had to calibrate it for front or back focusing?

Also interested in this lens, Anyone with experience with these and the Nikon 200-500?

Im in the process of selling my 150-500os and hoping to pick up one of these too. Will be interesting to see how it compares. Can't stretch to the sport unfortunately.

Found the thread but got bored with the bitching throughout lol. So is wex cheapest about for this at £739?

Found the thread but got bored with the bitching throughout lol. So is wex cheapest about for this at £739?
It seems to be that Wex and I think Amazon are at that price, I would go with Wex though personally. They have come down quite a lot recently as the 'grey' ones are £689 now so it's a great deal at that price. I think Wex are competitive on the Dock as well although there's not much in it anywhere with that.
Good luck and I hope you get on well with the Siggy!

Castle also have this @ £739.00

I use it with a D3200 although I do intend to upgrade to D7200.

It's a no brainer for me, the lens is fantastic.

Cheers both..yep have only had positive dealings with wex but just been looking at nikon 200-500 5.6 which can be had at just over a hundred more than the sigma and dock..:confused:

Cheers both..yep have only had positive dealings with wex but just been looking at nikon 200-500 5.6 which can be had at just over a hundred more than the sigma and dock..:confused:
I can't help you with the Nikon but remember you get an extra 100mm of reach with the Sigma and customisation, adds up to a better deal imo but it's obviously up to you. If your shooting wildlife, 20% more reach is a great help!

I can't help you with the Nikon but remember you get an extra 100mm of reach with the Sigma and customisation, adds up to a better deal imo but it's obviously up to you. If your shooting wildlife, 20% more reach is a great help!
Yeah appreciate that mate just trying to weigh up pros and cons as its a lot of money for me to shell out and not be 100% decided.

Yeah appreciate that mate just trying to weigh up pros and cons as its a lot of money for me to shell out and not be 100% decided.
Fair comment, you need to be sure- I've made some expensive mistakes and they hurt. Hopefully a Nikon person can give you some advice on the 200-500 lens.

Indeed and can just imagine my other halfs response if I started moaning about my expensive purchase!:naughty: Tough call between this the nikon and the tamron

Indeed and can just imagine my other halfs response if I started moaning about my expensive purchase!:naughty: Tough call between this the nikon and the tamron
I can only comment on the Siggy and the Tamron on Canon bodies - there's not a lot in it to be honest, some prefer the Tamron & others the Siggy. The advantage with the Siggy is the dock, otherwise they're pretty much equal imo.
I bought the Tamron recently due to price I got it for, as having had both lenses in the past (I did say I made mistakes by rushing in) I actually prefer the images I got with the Tammy. It's personal choice really, they're both really good lenses at the price.

Can't comment on the Nikon but a mate had the Tamron, I have the Sigma, we reckon both are about equal in IQ and quality.

I only went Sigma because i reckon the reviews just edge it. That said, as above I can't tell any difference.

Decisions lol
We all have reservations over which is the best lens to buy, I know I do, and in the past I've switched from one to another so often, I feel like I've had every option under the sun. They'll always be the 'should I have bought this one' argument going on in your head but now I've reached a decision to go with my choice and try and extract the best I can from it. All the new super zooms are much of a muchness, it's up to each individual to put their spin on the one they choose and go with it.
Not very helpful in helping you decide but I'm sure which ever one you go for will do the job.

What do you prefer about the tamron?...Always rated tamron lenses and had a few!

What do you prefer about the tamron?...Always rated tamron lenses and had a few!
I just preferred the overall look of the pictures, nothing very technical at all to be honest. Also the foot on the lens collar is more user friendly when carrying it about but that's not really anything momentous either. To be honest Stuart, I confused myself so much by over thinking what to get, that in the end I went for the Tamron because it was cheaper to buy as I say and I had some shots I was really happy with on some old files and thought that will do the job.
I've had the Tamron, Sigma C, Sigma Sport, Canon 100-400 mkii, all last year at one time or another - I even had 3 of them at the same time and still wasn't sure which I preferred!
None of them will compete with the big primes but any of them will do a great job at the price. There really isn't much to choose between any of them in IQ which is what we all are striving for I guess. It's the person behind the glass that makes the better picture whichever one you choose.

appreciate your honesty lol..Really do like the look of the sigma and think the dock is a great addition but would rather the lens didnt need calibrating as soon as I brought it.I know it may not need it but from what I have read a lot of them do need tweaking with the dock

I just preferred the overall look of the pictures, nothing very technical at all to be honest. Also the foot on the lens collar is more user friendly when carrying it about but that's not really anything momentous either. To be honest Stuart, I confused myself so much by over thinking what to get, that in the end I went for the Tamron because it was cheaper to buy as I say and I had some shots I was really happy with on some old files and thought that will do the job.
I've had the Tamron, Sigma C, Sigma Sport, Canon 100-400 mkii, all last year at one time or another - I even had 3 of them at the same time and still wasn't sure which I preferred!
None of them will compete with the big primes but any of them will do a great job at the price. There really isn't much to choose between any of them in IQ which is what we all are striving for I guess. It's the person behind the glass that makes the better picture whichever one you choose.

I like the mount on the Sigma, and the foot fits well on my Manfrotto 393, and its easy to carry. No doubt the Tamron is the same .

Friend just emailed me a pic he took yesterday with his Cannon and Tamron. I took the same shot on my Nikon and Sigma.

Result, no difference you would never know who took what shot.

Back