Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

only place close by that may have both the sigma and tamron is srs?

Yeah did think of going that route but can only find it in canon mount for prime
I think Wex are pretty good if you really hated it - I once bought a Bridge camera from them, opened it up, tried it, thought it was crap! When I phoned them and told them, they took it back no problem and refunded my money. If you look on their used section, they sell a lot of @OB' items which is open box, basically unwanted returns. You could always phone them first just to make sure but I think they would be ok.

Although I have not purchased yet I have tried both on a 70d and my impression ws the Sigma was a lot quicker with focus, the Tamron hunted a lot just mine and at least one other person had the same opinion

Although I have not purchased yet I have tried both on a 70d and my impression ws the Sigma was a lot quicker with focus, the Tamron hunted a lot just mine and at least one other person had the same opinion
I agree the early models of the Tamron did have AF issues but that was sorted in subsequent models with updated firmware. Mine is fine, in fact I went out briefly yesterday in fading light and in a shady area and it locked on immediately so I'm not sure that there is any problem now.
The reviews have always stated that the lenses are very similar, Tammy slightly better in centre and Siggy slightly better edges but stopping down to f8 sorts that and they are then pretty much the same.
I genuinely don't think the masses would see any difference between the 2 to be honest, it's whichever one you think is for you imo.

I agree the early models of the Tamron did have AF issues but that was sorted in subsequent models with updated firmware. Mine is fine, in fact I went out briefly yesterday in fading light and in a shady area and it locked on immediately so I'm not sure that there is any problem now.
The reviews have always stated that the lenses are very similar, Tammy slightly better in centre and Siggy slightly better edges but stopping down to f8 sorts that and they are then pretty much the same.
I genuinely don't think the masses would see any difference between the 2 to be honest, it's whichever one you think is for you imo.

Did not know about early models but agree entirely there is nothin g much between them and which ever one you get you would be happy with, bang for bucks is good bit of kit, I keep hovering over the buy button and know I will press the button at some point

Did not know about early models but agree entirely there is nothin g much between them and which ever one you get you would be happy with, bang for bucks is good bit of kit, I keep hovering over the buy button and know I will press the button at some point
You should go for one, at the price they are now you're getting a lot of lens for a relatively small outlay. I'm quite happy with my Tammy now, my philosophy has changed as I said earlier in the thread - I've stopped thinking 'would this one be better than that one' and am just getting along with my choice and trying to extract the most I can from it. Problem is there are some very good photographers here and when they have different lenses, we all think there's must be better, but it's the person not always the kit.

You should go for one, at the price they are now you're getting a lot of lens for a relatively small outlay. I'm quite happy with my Tammy now, my philosophy has changed as I said earlier in the thread - I've stopped thinking 'would this one be better than that one' and am just getting along with my choice and trying to extract the most I can from it. Problem is there are some very good photographers here and when they have different lenses, we all think there's must be better, but it's the person not always the kit.

have just arranged a final try and possible purchase this weekend :)
and your right sometimes we all ponder too much :)

Nope lol...Off to SRS Saturday with my camera to try both the sigma and nikon 200-500mm out.:beer:

No, me either. I'm trying to sell my 150-500 before starting to look around.
Good luck with whatever you pick.

I always thought the Tamron was a bit lighter than this lens for some reason, no idea why - maybe I was thinking of the Sports, regardless, with this being cheaper as well and nothing at all in it in terms of IQ, this press release from Sigma may well have it swung it for me ..

"We would like to announce that we are planning to release a firmware update for the SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Sports in Canon and Nikon mount, as well as the SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary in Canon and Nikon mount on Friday, March 11th, 2016.

The latest firmware update improves the AF algorithm of 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM lenses and further enhances AF speed by optimizing HSM (Hyper Sonic Motor) drive control.

It is expected to increase autofocus speed by approximately 20%, to a maximum of 50%, during normal shooting as well as when using “Speed Priority” set through SIGMA Optimization Pro."

Got mine delivered from Amazon on Monday (through normal RM, no signature or anything, which I thought very strange!). Weather has been pants so not had much chance to play but I'm loving it so far;

27 by Jim, on Flickr

30 by Jim, on Flickr

...from about 37,000 feet away!
8 by Jim, on Flickr

Last edited:
Nice shots Jim..It has great AF speed perfect for capturing the hounds!
Yes I'm impressed by the AF speed (and I note Sigma are releasing a firmware update this month which will make it even faster!), its easily as fast as my 70-200 EX, relatively speaking.

Yeah even when i tried it along side the nikon it was noticably quicker and with the firmware update should be superb.Although will say once locked on the nikon keeps focus very well.

Just picked up my 150-600 C last week from Clifton Cameras and my dock arrived today - very happy so far especially now I've set the OS to dynamic:)
Lets see how this firmware update goes on Friday too.

Apologies if it's been covered already, but does anyone have any bag recommendations for this beast?? I know the Lowpro AW500 probably does the job, but that's rather expensive. Going to try and order one this evening along with the dock...

I could fit my 5d2 and 150-600S mounted (hood reversed or not on) in a Tamrac Expedition 6X so that should fit the C easilly enough. I picked a used one up for £64 from mpb, and that was in like new condition.

Apologies if it's been covered already, but does anyone have any bag recommendations for this beast?? I know the Lowpro AW500 probably does the job, but that's rather expensive. Going to try and order one this evening along with the dock...
Surprisingly the Lowepro Mini Trekker will house it with body attached & hood reversed and still leaves some pockets for either small lenses plus batteries, filters etc. I have also used a Think Tank holster V2 I think it was which takes the camera body & lens comfortably if you didn't want a rucksack style bag. I had a Black Rapid strap on mine as well which tucked inside the top opening cover.

Thanks guys, I've gone for the Lowepro AW400 in the end, which came up on Amazon as an alternative to the above at half price rrp so I snapped it up. Seems like a good bag, especially for the money.

Thanks guys, I've gone for the Lowepro AW400 in the end, which came up on Amazon as an alternative to the above at half price rrp so I snapped it up. Seems like a good bag, especially for the money.
Good for you, there'll be plenty of room in that for your camera / lens and a good amount of other stuff too.

How much better the sport version over this.

How much better the sport version over this.
Better in what way?

Optically there's nothing in it but the sport is more solidly built ( and a lot heavier).

Is that the only difference? Is there no speed different or image quality

No, no IQ difference though the S aperture closes down later than the C but we're not talking anything significant . AF is supposed to be quicker but in testing the reviews don't seem to think there's much in it.

The C seems to be as quick as my 70-200 f/2.8 EX to focus, and that's pretty damn quick :)

Last edited:
Back