Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

I brought one but could not get on with it. only used it once. thinking of selling it.

I brought one but could not get on with it. only used it once. thinking of selling it.

Why can't you 'get on with it'?

Is there anything subject wise you bought it for that isn't working?

I bought it for birding ,but I just found it uncomfortable to use. its well made , and a good fit. but I just could not get on with it.

I bought it for birding ,but I just found it uncomfortable to use. its well made , and a good fit. but I just could not get on with it.

Yes it's a bit of a beast, but for a lens as long as it is its *comparatively* light.

Have you tried grips etc to try and make it more suitable for you?

No I have not tried anything, fitted it , tried it out on the farne Islands, but found I just did not get on with it.. Im talking about the cover by the way. the Lens I have no issues at all with.

Last edited:
Its worth persevering with, its an excellent lens. Maybe take it out and just experiment with it on random subjects, these lenses are mostly about technique, and maybe think about adding a camera grip (I personally wouldn't use mine without the grip).

The only issue I tend to suffer with is heat haze, its amazing how it effects long lenses!

As I said above , the lens I have no isues with. I love mine. its the cover I bought for birding I cant get on with. and yes heat haze is a small prob esp with jets.

sunderland air show 480.jpg

Ah my mistake, I thought you were referring to the lens itself, you must have wondered what I was on about, lol!

I found the foot useless to use as a handle so bought a 100mm arca plate from eBay for it - instantly better[emoji846]

my bad for not saying I was on about the lens cover in the first place. lol.
I would like to use a longer foot, but my shoulder strap is always on the lens.

Last edited:
my bad for not saying I was on about the lens cover in the first place. lol.
I would like to use a longer foot, but my shoulder strap is always on the lens.

There is a separate thread near the front of my Arca plate so I have it screwed to the lens foot and also have my sun sniper (blackrapid clone) strap in the other thread. I was a little nervous of it at first but after a whole day wandering around RIAT it was fine.

Thanks , I will look into it. it's a shame they did not fit the same size foot as the sport version.

Also has anyone purchased a lens coat for it?

I have one on mine and see it as essential, purely for protection (y)

I took this the other evening, a quick dash up a steep hill covered by thigh high wet grass, had to keep low the last 30 yrds, got wet through, then rested the lens on a dry stone wall to get the shots, the lens body would certainly be scratched if it wasn't for the cover.

I always have the foot turned to the left at around 45 degs so it doesn't hinder resting on walls,fences, ect, it makes the cover is a great protector. The only section I leave off is the zoom ring because I found that a PITA :)

I have some old gators, been going to see if I can adapt one to cover the lens when out at 600mm, especially for when its raining.

Long-eared Owl perched in the rain. by Phil D, on Flickr

Given the lens its first go today, its completely different in handling to my 50-500, going to need practice with it I think. The is seems different too, it doesn't appear to stabilize the image I'm the vf like my 50-500 did. Perhaps its customizable through the dock?

Yes you need to set the OS to dynamic through the dock to see the effect properly in the viewfinder.

Does a polariser not help here?

No as the heat haze actually bends and refracts the light, no filters could unbend it :)

A polariser would have an overall more limited effect on a longer lens anyway.

Last edited:
I've just pulled the trigger on one of these and the dock. My first tele upgrade to my 55-250mk1 which has served me well for 5yrs. It will be paired with my 7dmk1, hope it goes well lol.

I've just pulled the trigger on one of these and the dock. My first tele upgrade to my 55-250mk1 which has served me well for 5yrs. It will be paired with my 7dmk1, hope it goes well lol.

Mines going nicely, so I'm sure yours will :) Look forward to seeing some pics from it.

Moon from some time this morning

moon by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Mines going nicely, so I'm sure yours will :) Look forward to seeing some pics from it.

Great shot, just viewed it full screen from flickr, I also have a sneaky desire to take a moon shot aswell now :)

I looked at The Digital Picture and comparing 100-400mk2 & x1.4mkIII on a 7d2 and 1d3 I got the impression at f8 the sigma 'c' looked great value for money!

The detail in that shot is extraordinary! I tried similar with my 70D, and at first sight not a patch on your shot, though not at home to run it through LR. Can I ask how you processed it?

It was a raw file from my 7d2 edited in acr before sharpening in elements 13, I adjusted contrast, blacks, vibrance, saturation and exposure along with highlights and shadows

Cheers - still learning, so will give mine a go.

Yes ,they were sitting on some guttering waiting for the parent to feed them. and its just luck I had no camera shake. normally I have terrible camera shake lol.

Well had the lens 24hrs now and I'm very impressed with the performance. Obviously my technique needs polished (more used to shooting landscapes that don't move at 10mm, than furry/feathery things that do at 600mm).

Straight out the box, no software updates or lens calibration done yet.

Squirrel about 4metres away, taken from a hide.
28519135183_e76be43f7c_k.jpg

Back