Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

Your cover is completely different to mine. You have a transparent window. Over the switches. And extra sections.

Ok, sorry for any confusion. Yes, mine came from outdoor photography gear.

right cant sleep so thought id pop out for an hour to do some landscape photography.i just tried to take my 150-600 c off my camera but its not happening its stuck fast it rotates but it will not come off the camera.could realy do with out this now .

right cant sleep so thought id pop out for an hour to do some landscape photography.i just tried to take my 150-600 c off my camera but its not happening its stuck fast it rotates but it will not come off the camera.could realy do with out this now .

No idea what the problem could be but hope you get it sorted. Wee bit of a wiggle maybe when you have it turned as far as possible.

ive tried everything flipping gutted it just turns locks on ok but its not comming off

Does there sound if there's anything loose? I would say its more likely to be an issue with the camera mount than the lens (there's more parts to the camera mount than the lens mount - the lens mount just sits there). Don't try and force it, take it somewhere to get looked at.

no everything seems ok but i think the release button on the camera is broke it seems very easy to press in.ill ring hdew later see what they suggest as i had the camera of them.all fun and games in it.

right i fell like a right b*****d now i was just putting it in my bag so i thought id rotate the tripod foot back underneath rather than on top.i have a long tripod plate on there aswell.the plate was cathching by the shutter button and wasnt rotating far enough.so its sorted now sorry for the drama lol

right i fell like a right b*****d now i was just putting it in my bag so i thought id rotate the tripod foot back underneath rather than on top.i have a long tripod plate on there aswell.the plate was cathching by the shutter button and wasnt rotating far enough.so its sorted now sorry for the drama lol

:D

Sounds pretty coherent with a "cannot sleep, it's 4am" kind of problem!

Using mine a fair bit but I have had to order a cover as fed up with the switched moving whilst walking using a black rapid strap.

Some photos from the last week.

Banded demoiselle eating a smaller bug
by Martin Billard, on Flickr

Ringlet Butterfly (Aphantopus hyperantus)

Cormorant

Reed Bunting

Barn Owl with prey

Downy Emerald (Cordulia aenea)

Hobby catching a dragonfly (Falco subbuteo)

Some really good shots you got here, I particularly like the Barn Owl but they are all excellent and showing the ability of the lens very well indeed,

Will be using mine properly for the first time at RIAT this weekend:)
Hopefully get some better shots than last year.

Some shots from yesterdays (awesome!) British grand Prix all shot with the 150-600 c of course, and my Canon 6d, which apparently isn't a sports camera :) ;

Hamilton, Rosberg and Verstappen by Jim, on Flickr

WEHRLEIN installation lap by Jim, on Flickr

red arrows 9 by Jim, on Flickr

Mercs together by Jim, on Flickr

Magnussen 3 by Jim, on Flickr

Hamilton and Rosberg race start by Jim, on Flickr

Hamilton 3 by Jim, on Flickr

Hamilton victorious by Jim, on Flickr

...more in this thread https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/british-f1-gp-2016.630125/

Last edited:
How are you finding the lens odd jim? I am still trying to work out if to get the C or S to go with my 5d3.

It's brilliant. I tried both the C and the Sport and optically they were the same, but the sport is much heavier (and more expensive!). The only advantage real world for me was a quicker zoom ring.

The C does everything I ask of it very well. A steal for the money to boot :)

Last edited:
I'm loving the images from this lens, mine will be here this week, can't wait!!

Some shots from yesterdays (awesome!) British grand Prix all shot with the 150-600 c of course, and my Canon 6d, which apparently isn't a sports camera :) ;

Hamilton, Rosberg and Verstappen by Jim, on Flickr

WEHRLEIN installation lap by Jim, on Flickr

red arrows 9 by Jim, on Flickr

Mercs together by Jim, on Flickr

Magnussen 3 by Jim, on Flickr

Hamilton and Rosberg race start by Jim, on Flickr

Hamilton 3 by Jim, on Flickr

Hamilton victorious by Jim, on Flickr

...more in this thread https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/british-f1-gp-2016.630125/
Great pics. Are there any restrictions on using big lenses like this in any of the Grandstands etc as I'm hoping to go next year for my 40th?

Great pics. Are there any restrictions on using big lenses like this in any of the Grandstands etc as I'm hoping to go next year for my 40th?

Thanks :). No, no restrictions at all, just be careful if you're sat in the grandstands you don't pan into the face of the person sat next to you, lol!

Last edited:
Thanks :). No, no restrictions at all, just be careful if you're sat in the grandstands you don't pan into the face of the person say next to you, lol!
Thanks. Lol, that's definitely something I'm likely to do too :LOL:

Hi, just wondering if anyone is using this lens with the Nikon D500 and if you are, are you happy with the results? AF etc all good?

Hi, just wondering if anyone is using this lens with the Nikon D500 and if you are, are you happy with the results? AF etc all good?

I am. But I'm new to both. Knocked out by it so far.

Reactions: WWA
Really need to purchase one of these lenses.

Very impressed with the pictures in this thread.

Been experimenting with smaller apertures to gain more DOF at close distance, shot @ 480mm, ,subject 20ft away, @f/11, 1/1250th, ISO 1250, SOOC, focus on the eye, I would have said 'acceptable' focus on the rabbits body?

I suffer from IQ loss when posting to TP, looks better on Flickr :)

Juvenile Rabbit by Phil D, on Flickr

Been experimenting with smaller apertures to gain more DOF at close distance, shot @ 480mm, ,subject 20ft away, @f/11, 1/1250th, ISO 1250, SOOC, focus on the eye, I would have said 'acceptable' focus on the rabbits body?

I suffer from IQ loss when posting to TP, looks better on Flickr :)

Juvenile Rabbit by Phil D, on Flickr
Nice pic. Few comments being as you've asked. Obviously sharpness on the body isn't as good as on the head as DOF is still not large enough. However, it doesn't matter imo, as long as you have the eye in focus then the rest works. Were these shot in jpeg or RAW? The reason that I ask is that it looks like there is some NR artefacts creeping in which is reducing the overall sharpness and image quality (not hugely I hasten to add). For a shot like this I'd have shot at f8 to get the ISO down and get a cleaner image at the cost of a bit of DOF, but of course this is preference and I know not what you were intending ;)

@snerkler

Hiya, thanks, yes, j.peg sooc.

It was more of an experiment tbh. At f/8 and subject 20ft away @500mm dof would be very shallow, I was just wondering if it was possible to stop down as low as f11 plus and still get acceptable sharpness. I was quite surprised at the results and for me, looked acceptable and wondered what others thought, cheers :)

@snerkler

Hiya, thanks, yes, j.peg sooc.

It was more of an experiment tbh. At f/8 and subject 20ft away @500mm dof would be very shallow, I was just wondering if it was possible to stop down as low as f11 plus and still get acceptable sharpness. I was quite surprised at the results and for me, looked acceptable and wondered what others thought, cheers :)
As I said, just preference, I shoot at 600mm (on FF) f8 from 8ft ;) Without trying you lens I don't know where the sweet spot is but I doubt there'd be much difference in sharpness between f8 and f11 tbh and increased noise will play far more of a role in any loss of detail. On a bright sunny day I'd expect you'd get great results at f11.

Nice compositions with 1 & 5, but they all look a bit underexposed on my computer.
1 and 5 don't look bad exposure wise on my computer. 2 and 4 definitely are though.

They looks a bit noisy to me, what ISO were they at. Obviously with them being so small in the frame detail isn't great, but any pic of these birds is great. I've never seen one let alone managed to take a pic of one.

The day was awful, it rained nearly all day, there was a break in the clouds now and again to get decent light but this was very few and far between. The noise could not be helped as I had to use a high ISO to get a faster shutter speed, these birds move way too fast to attempt slower shutter speeds. The first image is probably where the light was best! If you look towards the bottom of the last picture, there are rain drops gathering on the foliage, not much I can do about the great British summer we're having lol!

Last edited:
On the post I was around 20-30 yards, on the weeds it was more like 50 - 60 yards (ish). The 3rd photo was taken on a different day, but the light was still not great. Hopefully going back again this week, the light should be better!

Back