Sigma 150-600mm contemporary

I am considering buying this lens for a holiday to Cuba and have 2 questions:

The dock. Is it a case of use once to set up or do people twaek every so often?

more importantly, I have a D600 and already own a Sigma 1.4 EX DG CONVERTER. Will this work with my camera ?

Thanks

Can anyone recommend a tripod suitable for this lens for birding & wildlife photography? budget around £150

Many thanks

Nigel.

more importantly, I have a D600 and already own a Sigma 1.4 EX DG CONVERTER. Will this work with my camera ?

Thanks

Not sure about the convertor, but i have used the dock several times, it can be used for a number of things, tweaking focus calibration, setting custom modes to the 2 customs settings switch, and probably the most important, firmware updates

Thanks

Yes, the dock is worth it as it unlocks many other options as well as the multiple point MA.

I'd have said it's a bit large for holiday, unless it's a photography specific holiday?

Last edited:
How do others find this lens performs with a Canon 1.4 extender on a 7Dii? Without the extender I find the lens sharp handheld, but with the extender it seems very soft. Perhaps I am expecting too much.

So I'm extremely close to pulling the trigger on this Lens to go with my D7200, what lens do you guys pair it with? I currently have the 18-35 1.8 but contemplating swapping that for something a bit longer..

So I'm extremely close to pulling the trigger on this Lens to go with my D7200, what lens do you guys pair it with? I currently have the 18-35 1.8 but contemplating swapping that for something a bit longer..

Got mine on a D500

I use a canon 70-200f4is and a sigma17-70os. I dont use an extender the crop body does that already. Still getting used it but it has taken some really nice shots

putting mine on a d600 also have sigma 70 / 200 and the tammy 24/70 2.8

Sorry I meant what other lenses do you use for the pre 150mm region.

Nikon 18-140, but fancy upgrading(?) to the 16-80 as it's faster and wider, and apparently sharper. Not sure if I'd miss the 80-150 range though??!

that's where I'm unsure, do I sell the 18-35 to get something longer and sacrifice the 1.8 and better IQ?

I have a bit of a gap at the moment :D from 55-150mm :eek: would love the 50-100 Art but its an awful lot of money coming up towards christmas.
Maybe Santa would be really nice this year :)

I thought that once I uploaded them. they don't look oof in lightroom tho.

Had this lens about 6 weeks now. I don't use it all the time but I am still happy with its performance for my first big lens.

1. Blue Tit 7D1 374mm 1/100 f7.1 ISO3200
30120973615_9a5f2f2c03_k.jpg

2. Nuthatch 7D1 374mm 1/200 f5.6 ISO3200
30006398512_1fe1f2c0cf_k.jpg

3. Robin 7D1 324mm 1/200 f5.6 ISO800
30006388422_4969af4dba_h.jpg

How do others find this lens performs with a Canon 1.4 extender on a 7Dii? Without the extender I find the lens sharp handheld, but with the extender it seems very soft. Perhaps I am expecting too much.

I'd seriously consider not using the extender, you lose a stop, you are already getting a crop effect with the crop factor sensor. It might be worth testing but I suspect you are likely to get better images without the converter and just cropping. I tried similar and took some test shots and decided I was better cropping than using the converter. Resolution was ok but seemed to impact on contrast and fringing.

Kenny

Back